Lisa Shea

World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird

Posted By: JoeJoe

World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/08/09 10:32 AM

A video of my 'parakeets', which is 1 cockatoo and 2 parakeets. We hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgHGJUVygAU

-JoeJoe
Posted By: kksuns

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/08/09 02:19 PM

Zoey is soo cool! Sounds like she's a youtube addict. LOL I can't believe you dare let her loose outside...aren't you afraid she'll fly away?
Is the keet cage you have hanging the one your keets mainly live in? If it is I think they need a bigger home with more toys!! Of course I only saw te cage for a second so maybe it's actually bigger than it looks and there are toys in it?
I must say your birds certainly look happy and well cared for smile
Thanks for sharing the video...very cool.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/08/09 02:52 PM

I enjoyed your video. TFS

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/08/09 03:09 PM

She's adorable, but I would be so afraid that she would fly away. Crazy things can happen with birds.

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/08/09 05:39 PM

No, that's just a travel cage - they have a much bigger cage. Their cages are normally in my room, they were moved into the studio only for the video and it was easier to just move the travel cage than their actual cage. The reason Zoey hangs out on their cage is because it hangs from the ceiling, thus it is "higher" than her cage.

I don't worry Zoey is going to fly away, for one she is trained to come on command. And two, I can barely keep her off of me as it is. She spends most of her time on my shoulder. While she loves to be outside on my shoulder, she actually doesn't like to fly outside.

The reason I free flighted her was so I wouldn't have to worry about her flying away. Flying outside is different than flying inside, there is wind which provides lift. If an inside bird does get outside, the wind takes it higher and higher and it can't fly down - thus, it continues to fly off until it is too tired to flap it's wings any longer and crash lands, usually about a mile away.

By training Zoey to fly outside in the wind, I don't have to worry about her flying off because she can't control her flight outside. She has no desire to run away, so there is really no need to worry about that. I worry more about hawks than anything else, and am always on the lookout for them.

-JoeJoe
Posted By: Coco's Mama

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/08/09 06:06 PM

Zoey is funny, and I I must agree with the her, watching Snowball is fun.

Joe you were cracking me up, when you told Max , the little green budgie not to worry he'd grow bigger , omg so cute.

I am guessing that is a Southern accent, I know for certain US. It would follow then if Zoey talked she'd have it too, that would be so funny. Does she talk at all?

Great video and educational too. Thanks for sharing.

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/08/09 07:36 PM

I had never even given it a thought about the wind outside taking them higher and higher! Wow, makes sense now that you mentioned it! LOL
Sounds like Zoey totally loves her daddy and I bet you're a great "dad" to all your birds, they're lucky to have you.
I had to chuckle when you told the little one not to worry he'd grow bigger too...too cute
You seem pretty knowledgeable when it comes to the "bird world" so I had a feeling you didn't keep your keets in that small cage, but I had to ask. You'd be surprised how many people get a parakeet and the idiots that work at the pet store send them home with a little cage saying "Oh yeah, that would be fine for a parakeet!" Add a couple toys, perches and dishes and there's no room for the bird! LOL
Love to see more videos..got any more?

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/08/09 09:47 PM

The little green one is Magnolia, "Sugar Magnolia" to be exact. I called her Mags or Maggie for short. She was my first parakeet, and while I know I'm not supposed to have favorites we share a special bond.

The little gray one is Curtis, "Curtis Lowe" to be exact. He doesn't like humans, but he tolerates me. He will get on my hand, but that's about it. I plan to train him more one day ... I keep saying that, one day.

Zoey doesn't talk, and I'm not trying to encourage her to either ... I don't need a bird repeating everything I say (lol).

This was my first bird video, although I do plan to make more. I have quiet a few magic videos online ... these two are my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8xfiFnKkO8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KegD9XcTAl4

-JoeJoe

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/09/09 12:50 AM

Curtis Lowe? You mean the finest picker to ever play the blues? LOL
Your Magic vids are pretty cool smile I love magic! That 1st one was awesome..how'd you do that? haha
Liked the "clown car" in the other one. :P A guy with a sense of humor huh?

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/09/09 02:00 AM

Zoey is too stinking cute! What a wonderful bird & an excellent video!
Posted By: Babies and Birds

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/09/09 03:16 AM

Wow, Zoey is a cutie and very well behaved. smile That is adorable how she watches the vids, she has good taste.

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/09/09 05:44 AM

kksuns: yeup, thats Curtis! And Sugar Magnolia is a Grateful Dead song. How did I make the street lamp float? Well, that's not really important ... the real question is WHY I made the street lamp float. smile

Pudgie's mom: I know Zoey hasn't had a bath in a while since it's been cold, but I didn't think you'd be able to pick up on that over the computer. laugh

Thanks again for watching everyone, I'm scripting a sequel. smile

-JoeJoe

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/09/09 03:37 PM

I've never been a big Dead fan but I've always loved Skynyrd! Other than Freebird of course, I think one of my fav Skynyrd songs has to be Was I Right or Wrong. Skynyrd Rocks!!
As for WHY you made the street lamp float? Maybe to make a point you can't believe everything you hear? As in that streetlamp was supposed to be unmoveable. Or never stop believing in the unbelievable and never stop wondering? IDK Why did you make it float??
BTW I am with you on the "rule breaking" thing. You are so right. We are taught to always follow the rules and think in black and white. It's so wrong..life is not just black and white. There are many many dif shades. I think kids should be allowed to think outside the box and form their own opinions.
Awaiting the next vid LOL

Sorry people..guess I went a little off topic? Oops! there i go getting out of my box again! LOL

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/11/09 05:39 AM

Originally Posted By: kksuns

BTW I am with you on the "rule breaking" thing. You are so right. We are taught to always follow the rules and think in black and white. It's so wrong..life is not just black and white. There are many many dif shades. I think kids should be allowed to think outside the box and form their own opinions.

That's about why I did it right there. smile

-JoeJoe
Posted By: AyEe Y0o

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/11/09 12:43 PM

Coming back here and seeing Zoey for the first time...has brought laughter and happiness back into my day! Thanks a lot, dude.

I'll be checking back in for more! =]
Posted By: Cetan

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/11/09 04:37 PM

off topic but good to see you AyEe YOo How's your flock doing?
Posted By: Tanaka

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/15/09 06:36 AM

:) [size:11pt][b]JoeJoe, I can’t believe Zoey was an [color:#990000]unwanted bird[/color]. Did you adopt her through an animal rescue shelter? You have certainly given her a wonderful home & obviously plenty of love. Seeing her outside is really amazing. :) What could be more natural than a bird flying through the sky, right? Can you remember the first time you took her outside to fly? No fear that she would keep on flying? How excellent! The [color:#990000]“gargantuan parakeet”[/color], very cool! :cool: Thanks for sharing, I hope to see you around here in the future.[/b][/size]

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/16/09 06:03 AM

She had been returned to the pet store and was on consignment there. All the other birds were in the front of the store at the window, she was in the back ... apparently, all she could do was scream - she didn't "talk" like the other birds. And her cage was on the floor, so nobody could even see her unless you knelt down. She was begging me for attention when I walked by. She was in the early stages of feather plucking, not that you could tell that now. We fell in love with each other instantly.

Ok ... this will end up being a long post, but it will give you a complete history of her flight training. Here goes...

I trained her to "come" on command for about a year before she ever went outside - one thing I wanted to make very clear in that video is that when I say "come", Zoey comes. That also included teaching her to fly from the top of the door to the floor, which is important - indoor birds fly left to right, outside birds have to fly up and down - huge difference! Especially when you consider the wind, that creates lift that doesn't exist indoors.

We then took brief trips outside with her on my shoulder to familiarize her with the area ... which turned into longer walks, and eventually perching her on the fence.

After a couple months of going outside, I went for a flight ... about 5 feet from my arm to the fence, she ended up flying upwards towards the condos - I was somewhat concerned, but knew her flight path would lead her to the 3rd floor banister - in other words, I had anticipated her being taken upwards due to the extra lift of being outside and doing it in front of the condos would minimize the risk. She was about 15 feet in the air when I screamed "ZOEY" and she turned around on a dime and landed on the fence!

After that, Zoey refused to fly outside. She wanted nothing to do with it. I had to slowly coax her into it by having her face me and toss her gently into the air and run backwards ... a few feet at first. Always praising her upon landing. Eventually, that turned into me running across the yard. If I had to start over, I would use that approach - that is, having her fly a short distance to me instead of flying to the fence.

In short time, Zoey began to love flying outside ... if I just open the door she will fly to me. You can see all how excited she is being outside in the video. The first clips of her flying to the fence were taken last spring when she was still learning - the shots taken of her on the roof were done in the fall.

I want to do another video, showing her flying indoors - she can fly through this house like you wouldn't believe! She will fly out the bathroom, turn 90 degrees down the narrow hall to do a 180 to land on her shelf in the living room. I have always encouraged her to fly. I believe every bird owner should teach their bird to fly, it is as important as teaching your baby to walk.

The next video is going to give training tips and expose the evils of wing clipping. I hope to get shots showing my parakeets playing on the ceiling fan and landing on mirrors. Wing clipping is the worst thing you can ever do to a bird and I am hell bent on proving it - if you don't believe me, I will show you.

Clipping a birds wings is very dangerous to the bird and should be illegal! You can't short cut proper training by clipping wings - all it does it create a false sense of security that puts your bird in greater danger than flying ever will - please don't clip your birds wings!

-JoeJoe

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/16/09 06:25 PM

What an awesome story.Sounds like you and Zoey were meant for each other and obviously she loves and trusts you. You did such an amazing job with her smile

I think birds are happier if they can fly too. I know that since i let Levi's flight feathers grow back(he was clipped when I got him) he has become an expert flier and he is SO happy and ALOT more social with us.He has a blast zipping around the house and annoying everyone LOL Not to mention the exercise. I think it was probably easier to train/tame him because he was clipped tho. I say "I think" because since he's my first and only keet right now I really have nothing to compare it to!
Even tho I think they are happier being able to fly I don't think it's "evil" to clip them. Sometimes circumstances don't allow people to let their birds have that kind of freedom,and clipping may very well be in the bird's best interest.

Looking forward to more bird vids Joe Joe
Posted By: baby blue

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/27/09 07:41 PM

totally awsome! what kind of cocatoo is zoey? i am most familiar with the sulpher and salmon crest. she is wonderfully trained. did you use anything like a clicker or check up on falconry techniques to train her? one day i hope to have a large parrot, can't decide on which one though! not to be sexist, but you are one of only 3 men that i have seen that have hookbills and i think you are probably the most laid back about them. i am canadian, but when i've mentioned there was once a north american parrot...i seem to suddenly develop two heads. the final naritive was wonderful. excellent presentation!!!!!
Posted By: baby blue

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/27/09 07:50 PM

amazing that you got her to stop stress plucking! it is very seldom accomplished. sam (a sulpher crest) a friend got him in the same way. he is so sweet, shares his treats, does tricks and is also flighted and goes outside. the sad part is, that even though he is now in a loving home, she had to have a fiberglass "collar" made that he will wear permanently because she didn't find him soon enough and sadly, can not be broken of the habit. you have my deepest respect bro!!!!!
Posted By: CassandraM_89

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/27/09 07:52 PM

That bird is flippin adorabuhls

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/30/09 04:51 PM

No clicker training, I prefer to be hands free when training.

I basically put her on my shoulder and took her to the kitchen and gave her a cashew. She quickly started to fly to me whenever I walked into the kitchen, and the second she would take off I would issue the "come" command. In time, she learned that when I said "come" I wanted her to fly to me.

That's when I started putting her on the top of the door and issuing the command, slowly lowering myself till I was laying on the floor and she would fly from the top of the door.

One part of my training is the "ack" sound - every bird makes that sound, it is universal. It means "danger". The louder and longer the sound, the more eminent the danger. If a wild bird on a tree sees a cat sneaking up, it starts screaming ACCCKKKK ACCCKKKK to let all the other birds know. When two parakeets fight over a perch, you hear the exact same sound - only softer and shorter ack ack ack ack ack.

That is a big part of how I train my birds, I use it to teach them "no". When I would see Zoey go for her feathers, I would start screaming ACCKKK ACCKKK.

I don't believe that your bird would need to wear a collar "permanently" ... there must be a way to break the habit. I wouldn't accept that.

If it were my bird, I would keep the collar on till all of its feathers grew back. Then, I would start taking it off for short periods of time ... 15 minutes at first ... then 30 ... then an hour ... and always at times when I could watch carefully. If they start to pluck start screaming ACCKKK ACCCKKKK.

I could guess that in a years time, the collar could remain off permanently. The secret to successful training is successful communication, the trick is to communicate to your bird not to pluck its feathers. Only then can it actually "learn" not to.

-JoeJoe
Posted By: guess what?

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/30/09 05:15 PM

oh my god your amazing. Im serious! I always thought that that was the most logical way to train or communicate with birds(and animals in general) is to use how they communicate. My family and friends thought that I am just retarded for "mimicking " my pets. communicating with them that way gives a potentially closer relationship.

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 03/30/09 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: CallMeChiknPants
I always thought that that was the most logical way to train or communicate with birds(and animals in general) is to use how they communicate ... "mimicking " my pets. communicating with them that way gives a potentially closer relationship.
Interesting! I have "ack-ack-acked" at Pudgie but mostly out of amusement, in response to her having done so, and to see how she'd react.. I'll be more observant now!

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 04/27/09 05:15 AM

I have been wondering if Zoey was indeed a female, and now my question has been answered ... she has laid an egg.

Poor thing is sitting on it thinking it will hatch. I would take it from her, but then she'll just lay another.

I miss her ... she's been on my shoulder every day for two years, now she just wants to sit on her egg. frown

-JoeJoe
Posted By: tweetymom

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 04/27/09 07:45 AM

That's an awesome video. Zoey is SOOO precious! I womder what made her lay an egg after all this time.

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 04/27/09 07:57 AM

That is great information! My Stellabird started plucking at the pin feathers around her neck and I just run over and start telling her NO! She actually hurts herself while she's plucking them out. I thought they were parasites but we got her out of the cage and looked, and it was just the pinfeathers trying to grow out.

I will try the AAAKKK thing from now on.

thanks so much.

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 04/27/09 08:07 AM

Probably just hormones ... it is spring, mating season.

-JoeJoe

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 04/28/09 05:41 AM

JoeJoe, is there in one of your videos how you make the AAAKKK noise? I don't have a problem making most of their sounds, but I never tried to make that one on purpose!

Also, I will be patiently waiting for new videos of Zoey, The Wonderbird!!
Posted By: guess what?

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/02/09 12:11 AM

yes yes! We demand more giant parakeet videos!

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/05/09 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: tweetymom
JoeJoe, is there in one of your videos how you make the AAAKKK noise? I don't have a problem making most of their sounds, but I never tried to make that one on purpose!

I don't have one of me making the sound, but if you listen to Zoey at 4:11/4:12 you hear her making the sound; she is telling me she doesn't want to fly down. The sound has become so common in my house that I actually use it to tell the cat and dog "no" - lol.

I will do a video on it at some point, can't say when.

Originally Posted By: guess what?
yes yes! We demand more giant parakeet videos!

Giant parakeet videos ... hehe ... smile

-JoeJoe
Posted By: joandboys

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/05/09 03:20 AM

I had seen your video several months back. I love your Zoey. She is very fond of you and you can tell she is loved. I communicate with my boys the same way. Cookie and Sweetie are flighted and always have been. Just inside though and they love flying. It's nice to have you on the forum.

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/05/09 03:54 AM

Well let me know when you do get it on a video. I just started making sounds and the ones that I almost hurt my throat doing, is the one that they respond to! LOL. But it's so weird. I hope I'm doing it right.

I will watch it again to listen for the AAAKKK sound.
I put it on for my birds all the time. They love it. They're actually getting familiar with the birds in the video and talk to them now.

Why do you think she didn't want to fly down?

Posted By: Dixie&Miss' Mama

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/05/09 11:34 AM

Haha. So cute smile
Posted By: joandboys

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/05/09 05:22 PM

It isn't my question but I hope you don't mind an opinion. She probably felt more secure because she was higher than him. Birds are all about who is higher is dominant.

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/05/09 05:29 PM

No Joandboys. LOve it. I love information!!
Posted By: BLR

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/05/09 06:13 PM

It may have had to do with the dog barking also.

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/05/09 06:31 PM

BLR, I forgot about that. You're probably right.

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/05/09 08:29 PM

I think it was a combination of the dog barking and just plain enjoying the view! LOL

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/06/09 08:46 PM

It is the height issue ... I know this will sound odd, but in my experience, indoor birds are afraid of heights. She reacts the same way on the top of the door when I'm issuing the command on the floor.

That was actually one of the very first times I had her perched on the roof like that ... until then, the bulk of her training was from the fence which is not a "up or down" scenario. I believe I mentioned it before, that indoor birds are not used to flying "up and down". If you intend to free flight a bird, that is where you need to spend the most attention.

The dogs really have nothing to do with it - they are the farthest thing from her mind ... she is very much used to them barking, she had been listening to them bark for months. I was basically just making conversation with her. She doesn't understand the words, but she understands the tone of voice ... and the consistency, I didn't back down - I kept issuing the command until she followed it.

I just started making sounds and the ones that I almost hurt my throat doing, is the one that they respond to! LOL. But it's so weird. I hope I'm doing it right.

If it is hurting your throat, you are most likely doing it right - it does hurt when you do it right. As you do it more often, it will stop hurting. I am no expert on language, but I suspect it is because you are stretching your vocal chords in a way you are not used to ... treat it like any other muscle, don't over do it and in time it will stretch out. smile

-JoeJoe
Posted By: Niki

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/06/09 11:50 PM

I have to say that was a very informative and enjoyable video. Your Zoey is a wonderful bird and you seem to be a very knowledgeable trainer.

I would love to see your philosophies and training techniques with "the cat and dog" as well!

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/07/09 05:51 PM

I don't really have any philosophies or training techniques for the cat and dog. The dog is eager to please, she comes when called and that is all I've really trained her to do.

The cat ... the cat scares me! She wants those birds - the parakeets in particular. My basic approach was a squirt bottle whenever she took interest in the birds.

After a close call, I made the decision to separate them. The house is divided in half, the cat stays in one half the parakeets in the other half. I don't like doing it this way, but she had made it very clear she does not intend to get along with my birds.

-JoeJoe

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/07/09 06:15 PM

Hey JoeJoe. Nice to see you on here.

Thanks for the info on the AAAKKK AAAKKK sound. Your comments on it helped. I AM doing it right. Also thanks for the part about throat not hurting after a while. I sing a lot (well, I sang in a band for 5 years and now have a Karaoke machine), and I'd hate to injure my vocal cords. LOL.

The Cats... I never leave them in the house when I'm not there, but I've got them to where they don't pay too much attention to the birds. They are not allowed to even LOOK at them! I throw such a horrid tantrum that I think that's what worked. Now, the only time (generally) they even look at them, is when they want my attention and they know that is the sure-fire way to get it!

My dog, well, his only issue is he wants all my attention ALL THE TIME. HA HA.

Does Zoey still have her egg?

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/07/09 09:01 PM

Also thanks for the part about throat not hurting after a while. I sing a lot (well, I sang in a band for 5 years and now have a Karaoke machine), and I'd hate to injure my vocal cords. LOL.

It becomes very natural, like I said ... it is so common in my house even the cat and dog respond to it. Everyone knows it means "no" here. Zoey responds to it the least, she is the one that starts ACK'ing back at me; she seems to think I am her "pet human" - lol.

Does Zoey still have her egg?

Yes, poor thing. I don't know how she will react when she realizes they won't hatch, I am sure she will be depressed.

I have been taking advantage of the situation to potty train her, I think she is finally catching on to "where" I want her to go.

-JoeJoe

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/08/09 04:02 AM

So she has more than one now? Aw. Where did she lay them?

Good luck on the potty-training! Couple people on here are doing that. That's just awesome!

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/11/09 05:37 AM

She has laid a total of three ... in her "toy box", which is a plastic laundry bin. I throw a couple of old tee-shirts and cardboard boxes and stuff for her to chew in it. Because it has high sides, the mess stays in the bin and I don't have to clean the floor.

Well apparently my tee-shirts also make a good "nest".

-JoeJoe

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/11/09 05:44 AM

Hi JoeJoe.

Where are you training her to go potty?
Posted By: Jaycee

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/11/09 06:02 AM

JoeJoe..I just finished reading this whole thread and I wish I had found it earlier, before posting 'Monty Lost' under the 'General Parakeet Chat' Section.
I totaly agree with not clipping wings and also giving your bird as much flight space as possible.
After my little incident with Monty yesterday as mentioned in my post, what I have just read of your thread makes so much sense.
I would like to try what you have done with Zoey, with Monty so if he does get out in the future I can at least have some confidence in him comming back.

Re: World's Largest Parakeet - Zoey the Wonderbird - 05/13/09 12:16 AM

Tweety: on the edge of her cage, she already goes on command ... what she doesn't do is fly to her cage. The nice thing about egg sitting is that she holds it, so when I go into the room I know she has to go and don't need to wait and catch her in the act.

Jaycee: good to hear you recovered Monty. As I said, communication is the key to training ... not just talking to your bird, but listening.

And what I hear Monty saying is that he was happy outside - he doesn't want to be stuck in his cage, he wants to be able to fly around the house ... and go outside with you.

He is a prime candidate for flight training!

-JoeJoe
© 2022 Lisa Shea Forum