Lisa Shea

Long time no post

Posted By: DyersEve726

Long time no post - 04/13/07 04:04 AM

It's probably been over a year since I last posted on here and I figured it might be time for an update.

I'm not sure if anybody on here remembers me, but I used to have 4 parakeets. About a year ago I decided to get into some bigger parrots, so I had to give two of my parakeets to a friend. Needless to say, I added a Quaker Parakeet named Floyd and a Sunday Conure named Dave. I kept Peeps and Rush and here are some pictures of the whole group smile

Dave and the Parakeets
[Linked Image]
Dave and Floyd
[Linked Image]
I love how interested Floyd looks in this pic
[Linked Image]
Floyd
[Linked Image]
Dave
[Linked Image]

Posted By: birdfriend

Re: Long time no post - 04/13/07 04:51 AM

I remember seeing your avatar awhile ago before I signed up. I always loved that picture.

I REALLY want a sun conure and a quaker when I get my own place. Yours are soo cute! Are they friendly? How old are they?
Posted By: AyEe Y0o

Re: Long time no post - 04/13/07 04:52 AM

Welcome back...

Re: Long time no post - 04/13/07 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by birdfriend
I remember seeing your avatar awhile ago before I signed up. I always loved that picture.

I REALLY want a sun conure and a quaker when I get my own place. Yours are soo cute! Are they friendly? How old are they?

Thanks smile

Floyd is absolutely the nicest creature on earth. When I ran into enough money to get a Quaker sometime last year, my breeder didn't have any and it was something like a 3 or 4 month wait so I went looking for one and I actually found him in a pet store where they had probably over 20 quakers. None of them were tame and only one of them didn't try to bite me with my hand in the cage...that one was Floyd smile

He really was awesome right from the start and was saying "good boy" by the time he was with me for about two months. Since then I've moved and got another bird. His ability to learn human speech just dissapeared...which kinda sucks. But he's still awesome and I don't really blame him for rather talking with Dave and the parakeets.

Anyway. Dave, on the other hand, is absolutely a man eater, haha. He's fantastic with me, though he's very bratty when I don't show him enough attention. With other people he's awful. If somebody he doesn't know is in the room he screams bloody murder the entire time...and don't even think about getting your fingers anywhere near him, lol.

I'm not sure where I went wrong with him since I raised him just the same as Floyd. I'm guessing it's because I had room mates when Floyd was a baby and so he's conditioned to not be afraid of other people. Dave was never exposed to that.

Phwew...short questions, long winded answer. Sorry, it's been a long time since I've talked to other bird people. smile

Re: Long time no post - 04/13/07 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by AyEe Y0o
Welcome back...

Thanks Aye...do you still have a ridiculous amount of parakeets?

Re: Long time no post - 04/13/07 05:51 AM

I'm up to 18 puppish now. I lost my 19th puppish... Ehh....

Re: Long time no post - 04/13/07 06:03 AM

That's never good :\

Glad to see you're still here smile
Posted By: Aerial

Re: Long time no post - 04/13/07 07:53 AM

Been here just over two years but don't post as much as I used to.
Posted By: ShamRockStar

Re: Long time no post - 04/13/07 07:18 PM

i remember you i think lol
I want a jenday conure so badly, they were actually the first birds I like... fell in love with, but my parents told me no, they were too loud for an apartment, o then i wanted a tei but my mom thought that was a very long and involved commitment for someone who hadnt had a bird since her parakeet passed at age 8 so... I got my keets... and I love them lol

but I still want my conure... and a teil...and a too... and a capri macaw... and a hyacinth... yeah, im cool like that
me my birds my horses and my dogs will be very happy together when i get older lol

Re: Long time no post - 04/14/07 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by HEATHEsaurusREX
i remember you i think lol
I want a jenday conure so badly, they were actually the first birds I like... fell in love with, but my parents told me no, they were too loud for an apartment, o then i wanted a tei but my mom thought that was a very long and involved commitment for someone who hadnt had a bird since her parakeet passed at age 8 so... I got my keets... and I love them lol

but I still want my conure... and a teil...and a too... and a capri macaw... and a hyacinth... yeah, im cool like that
me my birds my horses and my dogs will be very happy together when i get older lol

Dave (my conure) is definately the loudest of any of my birds...and that says a lot, lol. He's actually a mix of a Jandaya and a Sun conure, giving him the orange/red face of the sun and the fully green wings of the jandaya. A lot of times people will think they're buying a Jandaya and it'll really be a hybrid because they look a lot alike.

I am definately a fan of most all cockatoo's and mackaws. One of my friends just got a baby Blue and Gold and it's super cool...though the size of his beak is a little intimidating.

I would really encourage getting a baby Quaker as your first bigger bird. For some reason they seem to be easier to work with and less nippy than conures (given they are acquired as babies and brought up right). One of my friends has a Quaker and a Greencheek Conure and the Quaker is the better mannered of the two for sure (which is the same in my case). I know quakers aren't as appealing as they are kind of plain looking, but trust me...you'll fall in love smile
Posted By: Tweets

Re: Long time no post - 04/14/07 02:35 AM

Do you worry about biting more with the larger birds? That is my biggest fear about them.. I love the vidoes of all the bigger birds on here but the thought of that BIG beak scares me to death! LOL Can you train larger birds to do more things than parakeets? I hope you don't mind me asking these questions!

BTW- You have beautiful birds!! smile Dave looks like he is always curious! SO CUTE!! smile
Posted By: big bad momma

Re: Long time no post - 04/14/07 02:45 AM

the picture are great.I love the colors on your bird.
Posted By: Mira

Re: Long time no post - 04/14/07 03:19 AM

Aweee...they are so cute i love ur parrot! smile

Re: Long time no post - 04/14/07 04:41 AM

unfortunately quakers are illegal here ever since a colony moved in to one of the neighbord hoods and killed their corn crop or something frown
im thinking my next (different) bird will prolly be a teil or a parrotlet though or if i save up long enough an african grey because I always go to the local bird store and play with them and they're so cute smile
Posted By: pretty bird

Re: Long time no post - 04/15/07 03:41 AM

I remember you. I'm up to 14 parakeets had 15 but one just passed away. We also just got a cockatiel who is 1 1/2 years old and says pretty bird whistles and is hand trained. In fact would rather sit on my shoulder all day than be in his cage. Some of the parakeets are English budgies. We have built quite a few cages for the parakeet the last one is 6ft by 2ft by 3ft inside measurements its on legs and wheels so is a little over 5ft tall. Also built 3 nesting cages but none nesting yet and I'm not pushing the issue. If they nest they nest but I don't care if they don't just wanted to be safe and not find eggs on bottom of cage.
Anyway great to see you back. I guess I don't post as often as I use to either have been pretty busy.

Re: Long time no post - 04/15/07 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tweets
Do you worry about biting more with the larger birds? That is my biggest fear about them.. I love the vidoes of all the bigger birds on here but the thought of that BIG beak scares me to death! LOL Can you train larger birds to do more things than parakeets? I hope you don't mind me asking these questions!

BTW- You have beautiful birds!! smile Dave looks like he is always curious! SO CUTE!! smile

Bigger birds as in Macaws and Eclectus can definately be intimidating and they could definately hurt you pretty bad if they wanted to. If you spend plenty of time with your bird and properly train it not to bite, there's usually very little danger to the pet owner. They will definately nip when they get excited and stuff but Dave and Floyd haven't broken my skin. In Dave's case (and this is true of a LOT of parrots) strangers are definately at risk, lol.

Most of the larger species are going to be quite a bit more intelligent than a parakeet and you can train them to do all kinds of things, though the intelligence factor has a tendency to add to behavioral problems due to under-stimulation.

Thank you for the compliments smile Dave IS terribly curious and it gets him in trouble haha.

Re: Long time no post - 04/15/07 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by HEATHEsaurusREX
unfortunately quakers are illegal here ever since a colony moved in to one of the neighbord hoods and killed their corn crop or something frown
im thinking my next (different) bird will prolly be a teil or a parrotlet though or if i save up long enough an african grey because I always go to the local bird store and play with them and they're so cute smile

Ahh yes, I've heard that they are illegal in some states. I've also heard that the laws are kinda BS because the Quakers don't truely pose any threat to their ecosystems. I guess there are arguments to go both ways.

I would definately do my research before getting a Grey. They're horribly intelligent and can live to be over 70 years old! You'll be lucky to outlive it and that means you have to be ready and willing to provide for it for your entire life or deal with the heartbreak of selling or giving away your baby. Just a thought...if you're ready for the commitment though, they are absolutely amazing smile
Posted By: Stephen

Re: Long time no post - 04/16/07 12:02 AM

All of your birds ae so pretty! :)And I remember you from long before I became a member here.

Who did you give Charlie and Bella to?

Re: Long time no post - 04/16/07 12:05 AM

I would definately do my research before getting a Grey. They're horribly intelligent and can live to be over 70 years old! You'll be lucky to outlive it and that means you have to be ready and willing to provide for it for your entire life or deal with the heartbreak of selling or giving away your baby. Just a thought...if you're ready for the commitment though, they are absolutely amazing smile -QUOTE!

Dyer, I haven't read your whole topic but are you getting yourself a African Grey? I mean wow and you better post up pictures and stories ore often now since you are having a whole mixure of parrots. We want to know! Lol

Enjoy!
Posted By: terryluvsgoldens

Re: Long time no post - 04/16/07 12:23 AM

Welcome back I remember the 3 parakeets in the avitar but don't think we ever interacted way back then, so again welcome back
beautiful birds. I thought about getting a Quaker I am partial to the green, but then I heard their Chirp and said to myself "self
you need to think more"
Posted By: Skish

Re: Long time no post - 04/16/07 12:25 AM

What beautiful birds smile
I love Dave's coloring..he's like a little party!

Re: Long time no post - 04/16/07 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by 3budgies
All of your birds ae so pretty! :)And I remember you from long before I became a member here.

Who did you give Charlie and Bella to?

Charlie and Bella went to my friend Jonny who also has a whole plethora of parrots smile

Re: Long time no post - 04/16/07 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by AyEe Y0o

Dyer, I haven't read your whole topic but are you getting yourself a African Grey? I mean wow and you better post up pictures and stories ore often now since you are having a whole mixure of parrots. We want to know! Lol

Enjoy!

Unfortunately, it's not me I was talking about. Another user had said she was thinking about getting one and I was just making sure they knew the work involved. I wish it were me...unfortunately I don't have $1200 for a Congo.
Posted By: I luv GiGi and Yogi

Re: Long time no post - 04/16/07 01:32 AM

it was viggo and pigs mom who got a grey
Posted By: Tweets

Re: Long time no post - 04/16/07 01:37 AM

DyersEve726- Thanks for answering my questions! smile I think with all things considered.. a larger bird would not be for my household.. LOL Too many visitors with young kids etc.. So, I will just enjoy all of the pictures and videos that those of you who do have them post! smile SO KEEP THEM COMING!! smile Hee hee!

Re: Long time no post - 04/16/07 02:02 AM

lol no i said i wanted a grey smile
terry that was hysterical
"then i heard their chirp and i said to myself 'self, lets think about this'
funny:)
© 2022 Lisa Shea Forum