Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Houie--like a "hou"man #96357 07/27/05 10:32 AM
C
CeruleanWngs Offline OP
OP Offline
C
My Houie passed away 4 years ago now from lung problems. He definitely was extremely intelligent, adorable, beautiful, and practically human! I know I may sound obsessed, and I know it has been 4 years, but I still love him very much as he and I were very close (despite him having 4 other bird companions to play with). (Three of them are still alive, but incomparable with Houie.)

First Story:

One time I left him out in the living room and went to my room and shut the door. Houie then walked over (he could fly-- we never clipped his wings) and knocked on the door with his beak and I opened it a bit and he walked in!!

Second story:

One time I was taking a bath. Houie loved talking to mirrors in the bathroom but once he saw me taking a bath he flew down next to me and tried to fly into it!! He evidently wanted a drink of water.

Third story:

He loved taking showers/baths. We would turn on the sink and he would always walk under it, drinking the water, showering, talking, preening himself. If you put a bowl of water on the table, he would jump into and semi-swim across it.

Fourth story:

Houie Bir Bir --like most male parakeets--loved to talk. Once he was in his talking mood, you could say "Houie Bir BIr" and he would repeat it precisely and accurately. Sooo smart.

Fifth story:

We moved houses. In the first house, the mirror in the bathroom where Houie loved to talk was on the right. In the second house the mirror in the bathroom was on the left. I introduced him to the new house and one time I saw him fly into the bathroom. He at first flew to the right but quickly flew to the left since he had learned the new location of the mirror!! He never made that mistake again.

Sixth story:

One time my dog went up to sniff him while he was perched on my hand. Houie Bir Bir-being so brave and cute--bit my dog on the nose as if to say f&*# off. And yes my dog is about a hundred times bigger than Houie.

Seventh story:

Houie Bir Bir loved potato chips. Absolutely adored them. You could crinkle the bag ANYWHERE in the house and he'd immediately hear it and fly to it. Then he proceeded to eat it right afterwards.

Eighth story:

Houie loved shiny silver things. He would stand on my silver fork when I ate (while I moved it). He would stand on my glasses when I wore them and chew on the screws. He loved to chew my necklaces and earrings as well and anything else particularly shiny.

Ninth story:

Houie was walking around the house picking up bits of seeds and eating them.
I tapped on the hardwood floor and called "Houie Bir Bir" and he walked over to me as if he weren't a bird with wings who could fly.

Tenth story:

We have a shiny, glossy piano. Houie loved to talk to his reflection on it. One time he landed on it, but glided too far and slipped off like an airplane when he landed! But he was fine and quickly went onto the piano to talk to himself.

Eleventh story:

One time I fell asleep on my bed and Houie was there too. He ended up sleeping with his head tucked into his neck right next to me!

Twelfth story:

One time my family and I were eating dinner--consisting of chicken, vegetables, rice, etc. Houie flew right into the chicken as if to say "stop the bird abuse."

Of course, he proceeded to taste it too, but he didn't know. (Houie loved all kinds of food.)

Thirteenth story:

I was drinking Sprite and Houie came over onto my shoulder and wanted to try some. Well, he did, and the bubbles went into his nostrils (correct?) and he yelled and protested like he was angry because of the gas bubbles in the Sprite. He was probably cursing at me.

Fourteenth story:

One time I was on the phone. Houie was in his cage with his 4 parakeet buddies. At least I thought so... Turned out, he opened the door by himself and flew out! Houie had jumped incessantly on the door of the cage and forced it open and then proceeded to escape from his cage into the freedom of the house...

Fifteenth story:

Since Houie was the first parakeet I had gotten, he was the leader and the only one comfortable enough with humans. He would lead the other 4 onto our shoulders, etc. showing them that humans are safe! Without Houie, the other 4 would not approach us.

Re: Houie--like a "hou"man #96358 07/27/05 12:00 PM
N
Nicholas Offline
Companion
Companion
N
Thank you so much for sharing your stories smile . I love them all, I'm sorry that he died frown . I'm sure that there's birds in Heaven though, smile and I know you'll be able to see him again one day. Some people actually think there might not be birds in Heaven! Can you believe that?! Why would God not let such a wonderful creation into his kingdom?

Anyways lol - Houie sounded very very smart, and very very in love with you.

Here I stand in sudden haste, yet time runs away.
Re: Houie--like a "hou"man #96359 07/27/05 03:27 PM
T
Tweety-holic Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
T
Wow...I'm very sorry about his death, frown but like Nicholas said, you will see him again one day. Houie sounded very intelligent..I loved the stories. laugh

Re: Houie--like a "hou"man #96360 07/27/05 04:08 PM
marie Offline
Regular
Regular
He sounds like an amazing bird! I hope one day I have a companion like that!

Re: Houie--like a "hou"man #96361 07/27/05 04:36 PM
Chelsea_Lola Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
Houie sounds like a great bird!!! Very Smart too! I enjoyed reading every one of those stories. How old was he when he died? I hope Lola will become like that. Was he hand raised?

I <3 my Lola since 6-18-05!!!!
Re: Houie--like a "hou"man #96362 07/28/05 12:11 AM
A
Aerial Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
A
What a great sounding bird you had.

You never forget them, when my dog died I had him cremated and his box sits on my dresser along with his photo and collar/registration tags on top of it.

By keeping photos around it keeps the memories alive.

Re: Houie--like a "hou"man #96363 07/28/05 01:37 AM
Tam2me Offline
Friend
Friend
Wow, That really is an amazing bird. You must've been very proud of him. I'll bet you he loved you so much. I would absolutely love a companion like that and you were very lucky to have him. He's probably sharing the stories of things you did with his new buds. LOL. He had a great life and all things must end. I'm sorry about his death but at least he died happy. Do you have any photos you would like to share?

Re: Houie--like a "hou"man #96364 07/29/05 08:04 AM
C
CeruleanWngs Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for all the comments. I do have pictures of Houie, and once I get the scanner working, I'll upload them. (One of the pictures is of him perched on my mom's bottom! haha)

He was a blue colored bird--medium blue to be precise.

Actually he passed away in a hospital. We were going to cremate him, but when I got there, they gave me the wrong bird. They gave me a green one!! So I thought hmm, how would I even know if they cremated Houie or gave me the wrong bird. We ended up burying him in silk in a coffin in the backyard.

In answer to your guys' questions: Houie was only 6 years old when he died. I guess he's always had lung problems because I remember when we first got him he had excrements on the side of beak from his nostril.

We got him when he was about 3 to 4 months old and he was not hand-trained. However in 3 days he became used to us. I think it was his courage (and special intelligence) that separated him from the other parakeets we have had.

What's cute is that he was also a greedy bird. When he was on his own (afterwards we got 4 buddies for him), he used to have 3 mirrors with seeds to eat from. We placed 2 of them by each other and when I went to change one of the mirrors, he would then place one leg on one mirror and the other leg on the other and take turns eating out of them in order to prevent me from removing a mirror!! He thought it was "his territory" So cute.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/24/20 01:27 AM
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Parakeet kicking other one
by Lausack - 08/31/20 10:36 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site