Print Thread
This video is an eye-opener #88562 10/30/05 08:42 PM
R
ReggieTheBudgie Offline OP
Friend
OP Offline
Friend
R
WARNING: This video is VERY hard to watch. It made me cry. On the other hand I think everyone should be aware of what's really going on.

http://www[dot]animal-rights[dot]ca/category_s/62.htm

I was not a vegetarian up until I saw this. I'm not sure that I can say the same now...

Re: This video is an eye-opener #88563 10/30/05 10:41 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
That is horrific. There really should be much stronger laws to protect animals. How can this be condoned!

I have modified your post Reggie so that people cannot go direct to such a distressing item. The reason is that I have been asked to do so in the past. I hope that everyone will be happy with that decision. I have replaced the dots with: [dot]

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: This video is an eye-opener #88564 10/30/05 11:00 PM
R
Friend
OP Offline
Friend
R
It is absolutely horrific, PDM. And I was one of those many who choose not to think about it too much but after I received this link in my e-mail, I can no longer ignore it.
Wouldn't it be great if there was an alternate industry for people whose conscience doesn't allow them to consume products from the existing industry? One where animals aren't tortured like this. Then one by one, animal lovers would slowly put the existing industry out of business over time.
I've heard about "free-range chickens" that are allowed to roam about instead of being locked up in masses in cages. Does anyone know more about that? Are they killed humanely? If that's the case, then I won't have to give up eggs. Has anyone looked into this?
At the moment I'm looking into going completely vegan (vegetarian will not cut it at this point, not after what I've learned about how cows are treated to produce milk and how hens are treated to produce eggs).

Re: This video is an eye-opener #88565 10/30/05 11:24 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I always buy free range eggs. I try to get free-range chicken & turkey, too, but it's not always easy.

I live near a farm shop and I have spoken to the butchers who say that free-range is not necessarily that great. It can mean that the animals are out in all weathers, eating anything they can find, rather than good food, so it's a case of checking out further.

I visited a farm where they had 'barn chickens'. There were indeed hundreds of them in one barn, but it was huge & they didn't seem squashed in and they were warm and well-fed, but not free-range.

I am definitely against battery farming and won't touch battery eggs. I assume I eat battery chickens because they will be providing the supermarkets. I hope that they are kept humanely at least.

I always read the labels.
Sainsbury's Supermarket does have a range of meats where the animals are said to be raised in good conditions. They are a little more expensive, but, quite apart from the cruelty issue, the food is probably healthier for us too. Who wants to ingest the meat of animals who are stressed and medicated?

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: This video is an eye-opener #88566 10/31/05 12:55 AM
S
Squeekychiimp Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
S
I am not going to watch the video reggiethebudgie as I just got back from a meeting for foster parents of exotic birds and I don't think I could take it! I was just in the company of some magnificent, gorgeous birds and I can't bear the thought of looking at some poor things being hurt.

But, I wanted to thank you for posting about this....it's a good service you did!

PS...There are many household pet birds who are homeless from Katrina. The organization I went to today is supposed to be getting birds in from Florida who need homes. Not sure where you live but my city has two bird rescue organizations who place unwanted or abused birds. I am hoping lots of these little critters find loving homes.

Re: This video is an eye-opener #88567 10/31/05 01:11 AM
R
Friend
OP Offline
Friend
R
Unfortunately I don't live in the US, Squeekychimp, and I doubt the bird rescue organizations would place the birds abroad. Otherwise I would have loved to take in one or two. I hope they manage to find homes for most of them. What happened to those poor animals when Katrina hit was heartbreaking. I feel very badly for people who were hurt too, but you know, suffering is suffering, animal or human.

Re: This video is an eye-opener #88568 10/31/05 01:12 AM
Blaze Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
It would let me look, but now that I read what you all wrote I don't think I want to.

~Blaze
Birds:
Kazu, Jazz, and Kodi
Cats:
Pebbles, Blaze, Curtis, Leo and Capizo.
Re: This video is an eye-opener #88569 10/31/05 11:31 PM
J
J-Bo Offline
Friend
Friend
J
I read that they're permitting the animals to go north to Canada and as far south as Mexico.

Re: This video is an eye-opener #88570 11/01/05 01:10 AM
R
Friend
OP Offline
Friend
R
J-Bo, is there a website where I can get more info on these bird rescue organizations?

Re: This video is an eye-opener #88571 11/01/05 02:43 AM
S
Squeekychiimp Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
S
I've been looking for about the last half hour ReggieTheBudgie but can't locate any websites that say they permit animals to go to Canada or Mexico...I'll keep looking and if I find one I'll post it! smile

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Buy Artvigil 150mg online
by rxonlinesecure - 05/20/22 08:53 AM
Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians
by dfdchgf - 05/18/22 12:04 PM
Architecture photography challeng
by latinkaone - 05/16/22 09:30 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site