Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
YHWH #83362 06/07/06 01:02 PM
S
segarb Offline OP
OP Offline
S
You ask where to research whether God's name was originally spoken. Try Exodus 3. He revealed His name to Moses in answer to the question "When they ask me who sent me, what shall I TELL them?"

His reply? TELL them YHWH sent you.

Since He had His scribes write down His name 6855 times in the scriptures, it seems reasonable to suppose that He wants His name known, even to those who cannot read.

Re: YHWH #83363 06/07/06 01:27 PM
Carl Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
I am hardly a Bible scholar, but my studies indicate that rather than His name (which by Eastern thought, knowing and using a person's name gave power over them), basically God told Moses, "Tell them' I AM ' sent you."

Using a form of the verb "to be" was not meant to suggest a name, but rather a higher existence. YHWH and its phonetic variations are the words that the children of Israel used to signify the LORD God. I usually have to get refresher courses from friends who are of the Jewish faith and/or heritage, but even there, an etiquette exists.

This in turn, leads to my questioning about whether when in the New Testament, we are told to call on the name of Jesus in order to be "saved," it may mean more than just the name of the person who was crucified. Maybe Jesus appeared to other peoples who knew him by other names.

Marge is the love of my life.
Re: YHWH #83364 06/07/06 03:24 PM
SouthSideSlim Offline
Companion
Companion
Carl,

I know quite a number of different passages where a particular line is different from version to version of the Bible (NIV, King James, RSV, etc.)

Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est
Re: YHWH #83365 06/07/06 03:53 PM
Carl Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
Yes, while finishing the last four quarters of college at what was then Point Loma College (a Church of the Nazarene college), I had to drop a course in Hebrew because of time limitations. (I was working full time at night at a radio station).

But in NT Greek studies in seminary, we learned how difficult it is to translate such a dynamic language. For example, I have done studies on the words which are either translated "make whole" or "heal" or "save" in the NT. I have come to the conclusion that Jesus wanted to save/heal the complete person.

I find discussion of theological issues interesting (sometimes), but just like in college philosophy "club" debates many years ago, I learned that "facts" available cannot prove or disprove the divinity of God, Jesus, or any other supernatural being - at least based on what we have now and with our skills.

As I've said elsewhere, and in the philosophy "clubs," personal experience/inspiration/revelation can not be disproved. May not be believed either, of course.

It's enough for me that people be open to more than just what they've been taught, for we all learn our biases. Since I believe in God, I believe He will show us our own way to faith.

Marge is the love of my life.
Re: YHWH #83366 06/07/06 08:25 PM
SouthSideSlim Offline
Companion
Companion
Carl,

There was an article last Diocesan quarterly new letter by the Dean of the Cathedral of St. Philip (Episcopal, Atlanta, GA) that I found very interesting. Among its points were that no where in the Bible does it state that the text is literal, much less infallible.

The other point was that many so-called arguments about the bible, are mostly about doctrine, not the scriptures.

He is leading a men's Bible study and the way they do it is to read passages from different versions.

Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est
Re: YHWH #83367 06/07/06 08:46 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Moved to 'Religious Research' section:

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000386

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site