Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Your views on being a "Christian" #82561 05/10/06 05:52 PM
A
Andy Liesener Offline OP
OP Offline
A
You say on one of your Halloween pages that if you consider yourself a Christian, you should believe in Jesus and the laws he laid down in the Bible. You can't pick and choose which laws apply to you.

But in another section, you talk about how the Bible says men can't touch women who are menstruating, and shellfish are forbidden, etc. and people don't follow these rules. Are they not Christians?

I ask this because I believe in Jesus, believe he was divine, and call myself a Christian. I do not, however, believe everything in the Bible. I don't believe it is a sin to be gay, and I don't believe you have to be Christian to get to Heaven.

What is wrong with finding what seems right to you and being an individual? Don't new religions do this all the time? Didn't Protestantism do this?

Re: Your views on being a "Christian" #82562 05/10/06 06:11 PM
J
Joe Bloggs Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
J
I think many of us here are trying to do just that.

But the Church, particularly the Catholic Church, says no, you either believe what we tell you or you're not one of us.

Which is why I left it!

Re: Your views on being a "Christian" #82563 05/10/06 06:59 PM
janimal Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
i think for the most part it is the religious hierachies that object to personalising religion. not too surprising, because who needs them if you can work it out for yourself.

if getting into heaven means following the vatican to the letter, then i guess i'll go to that place with all the black sabbath and led zeppelin playing instead... excellent!!

It's All got to go!!!

BudeStrings Music Tuition
Re: Your views on being a "Christian" #82564 05/10/06 11:17 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Welcome to the forum, Andy.

As we have said on other threads, the definition of a Christian seems to depend on the person you are talking to, but it's interesting to note that RCs say that they are the only ones going to Heaven, while my 'Gospel Hall' Sunday School teacher thought that RCs were idolaters - so definitely were not going to heaven.

I don't know what's right. Who does? I think everyone has to follow their own conscience.

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN MOVED TO 'RELIGIOUS RESEARCH':

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000303

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site