Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Women in the Church #80381 08/20/05 08:46 PM
C
Caitie Offline OP
OP Offline
C
You said on the Women in the church page that it was decided by man that priests could not marry. Not by Jesus' teachings, but because man was greedy and didn't want land passed to the children. So if this is true, why are we still following that today? Jesus didn't have a problem with being married, most of the disciples were married! But because a bunch of MEN voted on it in a confrence, many many years ago, priests still can't be married? I thought we were supposed to be following the teachings of our Lord.

Re: Women in the Church #80382 08/21/05 05:52 AM
L
Lat Offline
Regular
Regular
L
One should note that this is followed in the Roman Catholic Church - I don't know about other orthodox churches. Although I have heard that there are some married priests. Protestants don't have priests, and don't apply this rule to clergy.

When discussing the married priests in the RC church, my one RC friend was very upset that some priests do marry! It will take a lot of effort to change a view like that in such a great organisation.

Re: Women in the Church #80383 08/25/05 11:46 AM
G
garima Offline
G
this sounds logical that priests were not allowed to marry cauze if they married their attention would divert as it happens with married people men or women they are not that productive i personally feel, simply because they have something to care about. but human's natural needs should be fulfilled thus i suggest people in authority to marry but not have children to avoid responsibility of any kind.

garima singh
Re: Women in the Church #80384 08/25/05 08:27 PM
somsuj Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Originally posted by garima:
this sounds logical that priests were not allowed to marry cauze if they married their attention would divert as it happens with married people men or women they are not that productive i personally feel, simply because they have something to care about. but human's natural needs should be fulfilled thus i suggest people in authority to marry but not have children to avoid responsibility of any kind.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........... :rolleyes:

you do not need to marry to divert your attention - there are plenty more things like stamp collection, wealth, power, prostitutes, young children........... wink

beg your purdon, married people are not productive? we are very productive in India, population doubles in no time!
in any way productivity is not linked to marriage - it is linked to something called drive, ambition. smile

marry but not to have children !! that's the ultimate. eek

i am sinner then! i am doctor, my business is care, i have married alas and have two kids as well. oh dear! dear!
:p

Believe in nothing unless it agrees with your own reason, knowledge & common sense
Be good, do good
Re: Women in the Church #80385 08/25/05 10:26 PM
D
daco Offline
D
One of my major absurds about catholic church and the priests is that they preach and give directions about something they never experienced. Btw, catholic priests can't marry for ages now and any man who decides to become a priest is aware of that for some time in his life, and yet they, as a sensible man, choose that way of life. Now that they have chosen that life in celibacy, I'm really wandering how can one give me guidance about my relationship with my wife, and the way we are supposed to raise our child. What does he know about children? What does he know about women, what they deeply want and what kind of care they need from men? Did he read it in a manual?
I've heard that catholic church advised not to read the book. Why? Can one true catholic can be diverted with a book? All I've read is glorification of something realy beautiful: the perfection of joining two beings craeted for each other to create a new life.

Re: Women in the Church #80386 08/25/05 10:54 PM
L
Lat Offline
Regular
Regular
L
Does anyone have some info on how, when and why the celibacy became part of the Christian church?

I know this was one of the points during the reformation, which was rejected by the protestant reformers.

A friend, who is catholic, and whose female cousin has been ordained as priest(!) once said that Constantine was the originator of the idea that women are evil, doorways to hell etc.

Of course I don't agree, I would like to find more factual info on this point.

Re: Women in the Church #80387 08/27/05 07:23 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I discuss that on the site, if you read through the site it explains all of that. After the whole "priests can't get married" situation, they then ruled that priests couldn't have sex at all - the key reason being they didn't want any kids around to try to lay claim to any church land. No kids, no problems keeping the land forever.

If you wonder how people become so addicted to a way of life, just look at Pizza. Back in the days of the pilgrims - which really was not that long ago - nobody ate pizza in the US. It was not even a concept. A few hundred years later, pizza is EVERYWHERE. Once something is "what you grew up with", you assume it is normal and must always be that way.

Look how people fight about the "under God" in the Pledge - but that has only been around a few decades.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Women in the Church #80388 08/27/05 07:24 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
OK here's another example. How many of us really care about fish on Fridays? But if you go back to the 50s that was a HUGE deal. How about hats in church? In the 50s that was also a HUGE deal. Nowadays we don't care. It all depends what you grew up with.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Women in the Church #80389 08/30/05 02:17 PM
S
skettler Offline
S
Priests can not marry becasue theya re supposed to be somewhat mirrors of Christ. Contrary to the whole conspiracy theory of Jesus marrying Mary Magdalene, he was without a wife. Thisi s why priests do not marry. And there should be absolutely no priests in the Catholic church that are married. Although, for example, the priest at my church lost his wife years ago to cancer and felt a calling to be a priests and this was acceptable.

Re: Women in the Church #80390 08/31/05 12:34 PM
C
Col Offline
C
The Bible teaches that all believers (in Christ), male, female, young and old, are priests whether they are married or not - 1 Peter 2:9 and Revelation 1:6. Basically, the reason Jesus died was to open the way back to God, our Heavenly Father. We now all have access to God and no longer require a priest to mediate for us (Eph 2:18). That's why the curtain in the Temple was torn in two when Jesus died on the cross - to open up the Holy of Holies, the place we can meet with God. What an amazing privilege we all have!

Re: Women in the Church #80391 09/02/05 10:04 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Originally posted by Lat:
... Although I have heard that there are some married priests. Protestants don't have priests, and don't apply this rule to clergy.

My sons were baptised by a Catholic priest, but he wasn't Roman Catholic; he was Anglican Catholic. He was married; he was protestant - it was a in Church of England.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site