LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Help Converting To Pellets (and a question about spinach) #69422 12/28/06 03:05 AM
Skittles and Peaches Offline OP
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
Skittles is a seed junkie. It's all he eats! I've tried and tried to get him to eat things: various fruits/veggies, pellets (Lafebers -- maybe after we run out of it I'll see if he likes another brand), and Beak Appetit...he refuses it. He is quite stubborn.

The food toy idea sounds great...he loves toys, so maybe that could work! Any ideas on how to make a food toy?

Re: Help Converting To Pellets (and a question about spinach) #69423 12/28/06 05:02 AM
B
birdfriend Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
B
The two pellets my tiel liked best are these:

http://www.zupreem.com/animal/bird/nourish/avian_entrees.shtml

She loves the garden goodness and harvest feast. I would try the spicy one, but they don't sell it near me!

Kiwi*8-23-05
Blueberry*9-9-06
Gizmo*11-11-06
Ollie*4-7-07
Re: Help Converting To Pellets (and a question about spinach) #69424 12/28/06 05:19 AM
SillyBird Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Well im hearing everywhere that since keets are so small they dont NEED to be on pellets, though mine are on them since they do eat them. Keets are known to eat alot of seed in the wild and thats what they've always been known to eat. Since its such a small bird it dosnt need a SUPER great diet compared to all the bigger birds that need a variety of all kinds of foods. Trying to convert a seed eating parakeet is a little long but you could eventually get it to eat them. Its all about the percentage. Add a little more into the seed each week. Also, if your keet is hand trained try hand feeding the pellets. Convertnig to pellets takes alot of patience, but its worth it in the end since its really nutricious for your little birdie smile My cockatiel is converting to pellets, and is doing very well! smile I might be done with it maybe next week. I've learnt that parrots only have 350 taste buds, when people have 10,000 taste buds. Thats why parrots love sharp tastes, like JalapeƱo peppers.

Good luck!

Peachy♥05|20|07 [lovebird]
Missy♥05|23|09 [cat]
Re: Help Converting To Pellets (and a question about spinach) #69425 12/29/06 04:44 AM
ILoveMyKeets Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
LLPB where do you get the keet-oatmeal? I have never seen it and would like to see if any of my babies would like it.

Blue Aug 06(Rip7-28-07)
Kikko Aug 06
Jinx Sept 06
Marley Oct 06
Lola Oct 06
Sunshine Dec 06
Angel X-Mas 06
Re: Help Converting To Pellets (and a question about spinach) #69426 12/29/06 04:28 PM
LLPB Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
at a pet store that was about 45 mins. away from me...

I'm sure you could find it online. Mine's Calypso spice flavored.

RIP
Lemon, Lime, Paradise, Blizzard, Oreo, & Vanilla
♥ Always

I LOVE Skittles!
Re: Help Converting To Pellets (and a question about spinach) #69427 12/29/06 05:42 PM
Skittles and Peaches Offline OP
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
I would be fine with him eating seed if he would eat fruits and veggies, too, but I think he likes to keep me worried. :p Two years of a seed diet definitely can't be healthy (and for the two years we've had him we've tried getting him to eat other things! :p ). I made some birdie bread the other day, and my cockatiel ate it and seemed to like it (at least SOMEONE liked it), but Skittles still picks around (I crumpled it up in his food bowl and sprinkled a few seeds on top to entice him). Guess I'll keep trying with the birdie bread ...

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'll let you all know if he ever does try a new food (that'll be the day :p ).

Re: Help Converting To Pellets (and a question about spinach) #69428 12/29/06 06:37 PM
SillyBird Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Skittles; Parakeets are known to eat seed in the wild. Their not like the big birds that need a variety of diffrent kinds of foods. Since their small birds they can eat only seed. But yes its good for them to eat veggies too. But you should not be consierned if your keet only eats seed because thats the only thing they eat in the wild. But converting to pellets is very good though since their more nutrition.

laugh

Peachy♥05|20|07 [lovebird]
Missy♥05|23|09 [cat]
Re: Help Converting To Pellets (and a question about spinach) #69429 12/30/06 01:20 AM
S
shana Offline
S
I converted my bird to the pellets. I tried both the zupreem and the harrison's. My bird will eat both but she really prefers the Harrison's which I prefer since her poop isn't bright colors then. The method that worked for me (I let my bird hang out outside the cage all the time) is I put pellets outside the cage and birdseed inside the cage. I also had a mirror (essentially anyway) and sprinkled the pellets on that. She wanted to eat the pellets before her mirror keet did. (I have a coffee table with glass inserts, she can see herself in the glass and that is where I sprinkled the pellets). I have to say while she ate the pellets, she didn't eat enough for over a month. When I was convinced she knew the pellets were food and that she ate them I removed all seed. Since I have converted my bird, she has way more energy and she has put on weight. She used to way 29 ounces (which is really to small for a bird) and now she ways 37 ounces.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Parakeet aggressive once I add in toys, help!
by Alex-x - 07/30/20 11:55 PM
a parakeet pair concern
by Durov - 07/11/20 11:42 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site