Page 1 of 2 1 2
weaning to pellet food #64163 10/14/06 10:12 PM
S
sbjudyb Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
S
Mine won't eat ANY real food, not even fruit or vegetables. I've tried everything. He would not eat the pellets. I mixed them with seed and he just picked out the seed. Finally, I beat the pellets to make smaller pieces. I also put them in the food processor. Once the pieces were smaller he began to eat it, then gradually I began to give him bigger pieces. Finally, he will eat the pellets as they are. However, he grinds them up - and we wind up with a pile of powder so I wonder how much he is really eating? I give him some millet & seed for treats but his primary diet is the pellet. He let me know when he was hungry or not satisfied. He seems OK now - we just waste alot of pellet! [LIST]

Re: weaning to pellet food #64164 10/16/06 05:28 AM
S
shana Offline
S
My bird did the grinding thing at first but it was the only food I gave her after I saw that she was eating it. She stopped and now just eats them without making powder. I bet your bird stops too. Just give it some time smile

Re: weaning to pellet food #64165 10/16/06 02:55 PM
Melissa in VA Offline
Regular
Regular
I can't find pellet food. This weekend I looked at Petsmart and Wal-Mart but only saw regular bird seed. Maybe I saw pellet food, but didn't recognize it? Can anyone recommend some brands of pellet food?

Re: weaning to pellet food #64166 10/16/06 04:34 PM
L
lovemydaisy Offline
L
Pellets should be in the food aisle at PetSmart. In the one I go to, they are a little bit apart from the seeds, but still same aisle. Typically they are between seeds and treats. Wal-Mart doesn't sell them as far as I've ever seen.

As far as brands, Harrison's is the absolute best. But, it's expensive, can only be found online or at a vet's, and the smallest size pellet is pretty big. In my opinion Zupreem comes next and is good; that is what I feed. However, it only comes in a size that is too big for keets; it could be ground up. Kaytee Exact is still pretty good and comes in a small size - think granular.

As far as making powder, my tiel does that too, and I know she could eat a whole one if she wanted to. She seems to enjoy crunching down on them though. At first I too was worried that she wasn't eating, but she was pooping and it was the color of the pellets, so I figurd that it was the only logical answer and after 6 months we're at the same place. By the way, the poop does change color to a more yellowish when they eat the pellets so that's one way of knowing what they are eating.

Good job to all of you for converting. It is so much better for them than seeds because it is more complete and less fattening. It's also a whole lot less messy when they get the hang of it!

Re: weaning to pellet food #64167 10/16/06 08:24 PM
B
birdfriend Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
B
Lovemydaisy- Zupreem actually makes different sized pellets in case you were wondering. They have the parakeet size or the canary/finch size. I mix pellets and seeds together and my vet said I could use either size depending on what my keets like more.

Kiwi*8-23-05
Blueberry*9-9-06
Gizmo*11-11-06
Ollie*4-7-07
Re: weaning to pellet food #64168 10/16/06 08:40 PM
spicka Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
i have had my keet for arount 2 weeks when should i start weaning him to pellet food? I still have like a bucket full of kaytee fiesta bird seed

Skeeter:10/1/06 (adopt date)
Basil:12/27/06 (adopt date)
Savannah(dog):2/14/05 (birthdate, and my birthday)
Re: weaning to pellet food #64169 10/16/06 09:58 PM
L
lovemydaisy Offline
L
Hmm, never seen the Zupreem pellets in the smaller sizes. I actually adopted a keet this weekend so I'll look for it.

Re: weaning to pellet food #64170 10/16/06 11:18 PM
nemo & kesha Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
why does u just feed the cutie some seeds as a regular diet thing?

Re: weaning to pellet food #64171 10/17/06 12:40 AM
S
sbjudyb Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
S
Seed alone is not a good diet for your parakeet. In the wild, they eat much more than seed - even meat! Contrary to popular belief, they are not vegetarians. If your parakeet eats fruits, vegies, grains, beans and other good stuff then you don't have to worry about it. I buy good pellet at Petco but they don't have the small variety, that's why I broke it up. He's eating it now - still grinding it some- but yes, I think he will get the hang of it eventually. I've eaten one - they are not that hard! I know he could do it if he wanted to. Thanks!

Re: weaning to pellet food #64172 10/17/06 12:42 AM
S
sbjudyb Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
S
Seed alone is not a good diet for your parakeet. In the wild, they eat much more than seed - even meat! Contrary to popular belief, they are not vegetarians. If your parakeet eats fruits, vegies, grains, beans and other good stuff then you don't have to worry about it. I buy good pellet at Petco but they don't have the small variety, that's why I broke it up. He's eating it now - still grinding it some- but yes, I think he will get the hang of it eventually. I've eaten one - they are not that hard! I know he could do it if he wanted to. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Parakeet aggressive once I add in toys, help!
by Alex-x - 07/30/20 11:55 PM
a parakeet pair concern
by Durov - 07/11/20 11:42 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site