09/03/06 05:37 AM
Salem, Oregon
S
shana Offline
shana  Offline
S

Salem, Oregon
Squawk:

I have a bird and she is home during the day while I am at work. My bird is happy and healthy even though she has no other bird, just me. I leave the tv on when I leave and I make sure I give her loads of attention when I get home. She looks forward to me getting home and doesn't see angry, upset or sad that she is alone. My one concession is I do have a toy with a mirror and I know she plays with it a lot when I am not home. When I get home...she only wants me smile Don't let the other people worry you....it is ideal if you can be with your bird all day but not always realistic. I personally don't want more than one bird because I think then they are way more into each other than me and I have my pet bird to be with me.

Re: Problem!? #61476
09/03/06 01:42 PM
09/03/06 01:42 PM
V
victor Offline
Best Friend
victor  Offline
Best Friend
V

shana - the issue I have is not as simple as being alone during the day. My personal issue is having a keet alone all day in a cage that is 9x12 inches in horizontal dimensions which is what Squawk is thinking of buying. THAT to me is unfair.

I also have an issue that the only reason that squawk is looking at those very small cages is because he/she cannot afford a slightly more expensive cage (we're talking $5.00 more here). I worry when an individual cannot afford a decent cage that they cannot afford all that comes with owning a pet.

Finally I think the situation is different with you (Shana) because you appear to be an adult so your evening time may be different than a student who has home work at night, etc who cannot devote as much evening time as you. Squawk's bird will be in the bed room and such will miss out on the family interaction at night. AND Squawk apparently has parents who are not thrilled at the prospect of a bird, they already have cats and dogs, the parents smoke, use teflon pans, and overall I just think the conditions are not great to get a bird. That's just my opinion not an attack. All I suggested from the start was just wait until squawk has enough money to get a roomier cage - so that the bird can enjoy his space a bit more especially if left alone. Squawk said he/she will have more money by Christmas, so I am scratching my head wondering why the bird MUST arrive in September when Christmas is only 4 months away. Delayed gratification is part of being a grown up. And taking full responsibility for a pet is also a grown up job - which can be done by a child, so long as that child is mature enough to act like a grown up or has parents that agree to serve as back up.

Squawk, this is not an attack - but when I read all of the posts and put it all together - I have to give my honest opinion which is based on my own experience having a keet. I really hope things work out for you and your keet to be.

Re: Problem!? #61477
09/03/06 02:47 PM
09/03/06 02:47 PM
US
SQUAWK Offline OP
Regular
SQUAWK  Offline OP
Regular

US

Ha! 10 CENTIMETERS!!
Re: Problem!? #61478
09/03/06 02:56 PM
09/03/06 02:56 PM
South Jersey
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
ShamRockStar  Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
S

South Jersey
wonderful
i was actually thinking about getting onr of those myself.

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: Problem!? #61479
09/03/06 02:58 PM
09/03/06 02:58 PM
US
SQUAWK Offline OP
Regular
SQUAWK  Offline OP
Regular

US
awsome! Okay, ill try to get that one. I only have 60 dollars to spend right now. I have to buy the cage, the bird, the foor, the toys...everything and Im only 13! Ugh... Oh well I guess thats the respondibility of having a pet, eh?

Ha! 10 CENTIMETERS!!
Re: Problem!? #61480
09/03/06 03:29 PM
09/03/06 03:29 PM
V
victor Offline
Best Friend
victor  Offline
Best Friend
V

I love that cage squawk.
I think you and your keet will be much happier.
Also - it takes alot of maturity to handle constructive feedback which you have done very well.
good luck.

Re: Problem!? #61481
09/03/06 04:27 PM
09/03/06 04:27 PM
Michigan
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Cetan  Offline
Soulmate

Michigan
I am away at work a lot but I have 5 keets, in 2 cages right next to each other. My first 2 i got together, they were inseparable at the store; the other 3 were orphans who need a home and they are in their own cage right next to the other one. They have lots of toys and watch Animal Planet on TV while I'm not home. I also have a lamp on a timer so if I get home late they have light. They are happy and have bonded with each other. If you can get 2 keets in a big enough cage it would be a lot better for them, they can keep each other company and 2 are really no more work than one, they still nedd fresh food and water each day (but keet food isn't that expensive) and the cage needs to be cleaned daily whether ther is one birs or two

Re: Problem!? #61482
09/03/06 09:06 PM
09/03/06 09:06 PM
X
xxxxx Offline
xxxxx  Offline
X

Maybe if you prove to be responsible with the one keet, and the cage you get is big enough, you can EVENTUALLY talk your parents into letting you have another one.

Save up your money, do a lot of research on why it's better to have more than one keet, and don't ask your parents for a lot of help (unless you really need it) with the one you're getting now.

If you show that you're responsible, and have some good points to show your parents, maybe they'll let you get your keet a friend after a couple of months.

Just an idea. smile

Re: Problem!? #61483
09/03/06 09:35 PM
09/03/06 09:35 PM
South Jersey
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
ShamRockStar  Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
S

South Jersey
maybe you should hold up and save more?
I spent 30 on my cage, 30 and my toys, 15 on food, and 40 on the bird. Your bird will probably be less as I'm assuming that your getting it from a normal pet store. So... like another 35 would help you out a lot...

ANYway victors right, you're taking our criticism well. I honestly believe you'll take good care of the bird so good luck and make sure you post pictures when you get it!!

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Do you practice tsundoku?
by Sherrylin. 01/18/20 07:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
General Discussion
Books, TV, Movies
Da Vinci Code
Dreams
Japanese Culture
Life, Universe, Everything
Online Courses
Politics
Religious Research
Show Your Own Work
Work From Home / Writing

Parakeets
General Parakeet Chat
Keet Stories and Photos
Parakeet Photo Gallery
Budgie Training
Health and Medical Issues
Parakeet Breeding
In Memory Of ...
Non-Budgie Pets and Animals
Non-Budgie Animal Photos
Off-Topic for Keet Owners
Games
Animal Rights
Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site