Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mute bird? #58082 07/12/06 04:19 AM
Dave Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
I've had my parakeet for 3 days and have only heard it chirp about 2-3 times and it was all within the same 5 minutes.

I say "hello" to it VERY frequently and talk to it but it never chirps or tries to communicate in return...It sometimes opens its mouth and seems like it is TRYING to talk but no sound comes out.

Question 1- is it normal for new parakeets to remain silent?

Question 2- what is it doing when it opens its mouth (sometimes VERY wide) and looks as if it is trying to speak but NO sound comes out?

Re: Mute bird? #58083 07/12/06 04:25 AM
I Love Gus & Milo Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
WEll About question #1.
Seeing as how the keet is new, it is probably just nervous and will come out of it's silent shell soon enough. As far as it knows, it may be in danger, and by cheeping it may give it's location away to preditors....

Give it time, and i am sure you will get more singing than you barganed for laugh it was like that for us with Milo. He was quiet for a few days, adn now 7 months later, We can barley watch TV becasue the 2 of them are chirping up a storm laugh

Lauren & Gus
Re: Mute bird? #58084 07/12/06 04:57 AM
Dave Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
haha thanks for the input.

Now if anyone understands why it would be opening its mouth and acting as if it is talking but NO sound comes out.

Also, instead of making a new thread for it, what is your opinion on clipping feathers?

Re: Mute bird? #58085 07/12/06 01:16 PM
pretty bird Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
Mine do the open mouth and no sound also they seem to do it more when I talk to them I don't know why they do it. Clipping wings I don't know how I really feel about it most of my birds don't have clipped wings and I would never clip theirs as they are use to flying all over the place (in their one big room) and I think it would be cruel to do it to them. Two of my new ones Pebbles and Bam Bam had their wings clipped when we bought them I felt bad at first but they are pretty easy to train as they can't fly away from me plus they were already use to hands as they came from a breeder who handled them from babies. In one of my books the author who is a vet seems to be ok with clipping wings I guess if your birds are not use to flying all over it would be ok but be really careful with your birds if this is what you are going to do. No cage up high when open take cage down on the floor (make sure no other animals around or that they can get into the room as your bird will not be able to get away) You don't want them up high (no more then 1 ft) as if they try to fly you don't want them to get hurt. Also don't have anything sharp or hard that they can fall into. Try to have a soft floor Pebbles our English budgie is a heavier bird and I took her out in our bathroom well she tried to fly and did a few nose dives and her beak has a little hairline crack so that is why I say try to have a soft floor for them.

My name is Connie
Re: Mute bird? #58086 07/12/06 02:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you also do no thave to have them cut that short. Tell them you want a glider cut. That way you can out them up higher and the bird glides to the floor, My lovie babys are clipped like that and they have even learned how to steer to where they want to land. Too short and the bird is always making crash landings even in the cage.

Re: Mute bird? #58087 07/12/06 03:47 PM
parakeetboy Offline
Companion
Companion
I think when they oen there bills and no sound comes out is a calming proccess. Sort-of when a dog licks its nose, turns away from you , or yawning is to help calm him/her down.

Here is a riddle for you that 80% of a kindergarden class got that only 17% of the staff got. PM me the answer.
What is greater than God, More evel than the Devil, The poor have it, the rich need it, and if you eat it you will die?
Re: Mute bird? #58088 07/12/06 04:00 PM
P
Purichan Offline
Regular
Regular
P
Sometimes when parakeets open their beaks wide like that they are yawning. I think it is pretty cute. Hehe. Other times you might here them kind of clicking, that is what my bird does when I talk to her most of the time. I think your bird as well as mine doesn't fully understand yet and hasn't excepted us as a 'flock member'. When our birds except us, they will comminicate back.

I clipped my birds wings a while back. I don't know how anyone would be able to train their bird without its wings being clipped, he would just fly away again and again.

However, now that I have my bird willing to stay on my finger, I have no reason to clip her wings and won't in the future.

Re: Mute bird? #58089 07/12/06 04:56 PM
coolkeet Offline
Regular
Regular
i don't know about a calming process, i think that is when they are trying to speak when i give my keets speech lessons they do that, and sometimes they move there tounge while doing it actually to calm themselves they shake all there feathers like if they were scared after calming down they will shake all of there feathers.

how did i get my hair to look so good? my parakeets preened it.
Re: Mute bird? #58090 07/18/06 01:35 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Parakeets definitely are scared in new places and it is natural for a scared keet to be silent. In the wild, if a keet was alone and was noisy, it would be found by predators and eaten.

Talk soothingly to your keet. Play soft music and give him a few days. I'm sure he'll begin to chirp smile

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Mute bird? #58091 07/18/06 02:28 AM
Bird Offline
Friend
Friend
Bird chirps to any music I play

I recall a couple months back, it didn't chirp for 3 weeks, then got back to her old self.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site