Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Seed Throwing! #57734 07/07/06 11:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
your 1st post sounds like they don't like it. When minedonot like what is in the food dish they will bang it up until it falls off. It could be the seed difference. But they all get it on the floor. I tried the seed guards and they became aggravating, everytime I wanted to open the door I had to move them and I was forever pulling them back up.

Re: Seed Throwing! #57735 07/08/06 12:37 AM
Alyssa Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Actually, is it only the female doing this? She could be trying to get everything out of the bowl because she wants to lay an egg (There needn't be a male present for this, but if there is, that just makes it all the more likly).

However my bird has done this forever. He's got three bowls - one for seeds, one for pellets, one more veggies. When the veggie bowl is not being used I put it back in the cage anyway and he will just.. lay in it. And duck down trying to hide, or nibble on the edges, playing, really. If that bowl isn't in there he will kick everything out of his pellet bowl to do it in that one, just lay there and kick like a dog. When he can no longer kick the little bit left out he starts trying to turn the bowl over by grabbing it with his beak, usually it falls to the floor with a loud bang.. and then he goes down there to play with it. He's done this for as long as I can remember. I would reccomend either getting a bowl she can have all the time (yes, just as a toy... you can spend 13 dollars on an all-out looking toy and they wont touch it, but give them a 50 cent clip on bowl...), or, looking into the possiblity that she may be wanting to lay eggs. If this just started that could be it but if it's gone on for weeks or month, she is either entertaining herself or she hates the food (If she eats it, that isn't it - they are not like dogs and will not eat something they hate.)

R.I.P Elkie
Nov. 04 - Jul. 05
Your life was short lived but I hope you were very happy.
Re: Seed Throwing! #57736 07/08/06 11:42 AM
Koh-Koh Offline
On a couple of occasions we have offered bits of human food like toast, carrots, lettuce etc. by putting them inbetween the bars at the end of the perch. Koh-Koh studies them for a few seconds then runs along the perch and boots them out of the cage. At least we know he has strong leg muscles lol. laugh

Re: Seed Throwing! #57737 07/09/06 01:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
awwww just like a normal kid, not wanting to eat his veggies...

Jamie

Re: Seed Throwing! #57738 07/09/06 05:18 PM
I Love Gus & Milo Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Hmm... Good points here, and I am not sure which I argee with..

The seed change is a good point. I have never switched my keets seed, but I do know that they perfer certian seeds and will "root" about for them. I am lucky that they do not throw the seed, they just push out the hulls if even that.

Alyssa has good points about the cups as well. Gus has his "treat cup" which more often than not is his "play cup" he will toss every piece of lettuce out of the cup so he can then roll, sing peck, and play in it. But if your bird has never done this before, I am nto sure it would start all of a sudden. It is possable that it is looking for a ""nesting site" (ever see the finches in the pet stores? they alawys lay eggs in the seed cups!)

I would go get the regualr seed right away, and while you are there, get a empty cup (slightly bigger than the seed cups) place ti in the cage, and leave it empty. they may just be looking for somthign new and fun. If the Seed tossing continues, I would make sure they are getting enough attention, and if all that fails....
Get new toys, move them around often and try to keep them intertained.... and buy a
good dust-buster for the seeds:) Good luck!

Lauren & Gus
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
FREE! Science Fiction Sweet Romance
by AlyssakPatterson - 06/15/21 11:25 AM
Dreaming of Losing a Pet
by Jane Pierce - 06/01/21 05:08 AM
nike kyrie 5 en soldes
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:53 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:49 AM
adidas stan smith dames lichtblauw
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:47 AM
Dieser Ring aus Sterlingsilber eignet
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site