Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Is this playing? #52097 04/26/06 07:05 PM
Rocky Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Today when i had joey out on my finger, i tried placing all sorts of things to his beak to see if he would do anything with them, when it came to some paper, he decided to have alittle chew.

So then what i did, is i put a small paper ball and held it in my lips and he leant forward and started nibbling away at it, we done this a few times.

Later i got some shreds of paper and punched holes in them, i held one end in my mouth and he chewed and pulled at the other end.

It was kind of like tug-a-war, do you think he saw it in the same playful way as i saw (and hoped he did) too?

Re: Is this playing? #52098 04/26/06 07:11 PM
jessabean Offline
Friend
Friend
mika loveesss biting holes in paper, im sure if i let her continue to nibble on my notebook i could have said... the bird ate my homework! i have chunks missing out of books from me leaving the room for a second to find piles of paper on my desk from her chewing the pages out! i dont know what the fascination is tho..

~ Katzie
~ Mika <3 10/8/05
Re: Is this playing? #52099 04/26/06 07:16 PM
S
stewie Offline
Companion
Companion
S
heres an idea for you if you can crumbel a peice of paper then use a needle and thread it through the paper then hang it maybe your bird would like that because it loves paper

Re: Is this playing? #52100 04/26/06 07:22 PM
jessabean Offline
Friend
Friend
i think that budgies like chewing and nibbling on things tho, so ur bird probably saw it as a game, advice for people tho!!! never underestimate what ur bird will chew on!

i left the room once, for 2 minutes TOPS, i was dumb, i left my $400 SIDEKICK on my bed, cover open, i come into the room and see 7 letters bitten off the keypad, which cannot be replaced.. i was SO MAD at mika for that. but it wasnt her fault, mine for leaving it open, she didnt know the price or what it was.

~ Katzie
~ Mika <3 10/8/05
Re: Is this playing? #52101 04/26/06 09:10 PM
jeraco77 Offline
Regular
Regular
I bet he was being playful.

I have chunks missing from things as well - Sweetie loves when i read a magazine, or a menu, anything he can stand on my hand & shred/nibble on too. He wont go near it if i place a piece in his cage which is weird, but if 'mommy's'(me) holding it - he'll play/shred it for fun.

Stewie, maybe i'll try your idea too... & Hang it up for him.

Re: Is this playing? #52102 04/26/06 11:10 PM
V
victor Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
V
Yes Rocky it sounds like playing and I really think you are doing very well.
I will be the devil's advocate here and suggest that you NOT hang paper in the cage - at least for now - and especially because you are with Joey much of the day. You should continue with interactive play - to promote bonding with you. You want him to look forward to that game with you, rather than allow him to satisfy this need on his own. If you were away from him most of the day then I would be fine with leaving it in there - but since it is a good quality interactive game right now, I would continue as you are.
This may/or may not gross you out - but you may want to offer a bit of food from your mouth too - if he is eating lettuce now - you could offer him a leaf. This is also good bonding and very natural to them since parakeets feed each other as they are pairing up.

Re: Is this playing? #52103 04/27/06 03:40 PM
W
Weepingddragon Offline
Companion
Companion
W
I got a question, i bring my birds outside with their food and i make sure they see their food but they always get on rocks and start chewing and pecking the rocks, is this bad or are they just playful/?

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by latinkaone - 06/06/22 08:53 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site