Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trusts me but doesn't like me? #51923 04/25/06 08:06 PM
Rocky Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
This is my third week with Joey and he trusts me pretty much i think. He now comes out the cage on his own when he wants, and i can easily put him on my finger and he will slide along my arm to come out. He also sits on my shoulder very willingly and seems to enjoy it, preens himself up there too.

But i dont think he likes me at all. He doesnt come to me ever, only when he has to but i can pick him up everytime without problems.

Any suggestions as to what i can to do start helping me bond to me and get himt o like me alittle more?

Re: Trusts me but doesn't like me? #51924 04/25/06 08:25 PM
C
Capt. Haddock Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Three weeks isn't a long time at all. It will take much longer than that to establish a real bond with your bird. If he trusts you already, you are doing ver well.

Keets aren't dogs, they won't come to you when you call them. Keep your expectations low, and over time, you will come to feel great joy whenever your bird does show you any kind of affection.

Re: Trusts me but doesn't like me? #51925 04/25/06 11:18 PM
V
victor Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
V
i have found that the more "engaged time" the better - meaning talking to Joey with good eye contact, asking him questions, treating him like a person if you can. Use alot of enthusiasm in your voice when you do - and GOOD EYE CONTACT.
If you are busy and cannot sit and talk to him forever, then when you are at your desk or wherever you sit, have him with you as much as possible, in or out of the cage. Closeness measured in inches really matters.
You are doing well. Praise him alot. Talk sweetly. Sometimes offer him a treat from your hand but not always.

Re: Trusts me but doesn't like me? #51926 04/26/06 12:32 PM
Cully's Mom Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
You're on the right track. Just be patient. 3 weeks isn't very long. You have the trust, just keep at it and the bond will grow.

Patience, patience, patience! That's what it takes! Good luck!

Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die!
Re: Trusts me but doesn't like me? #51927 04/26/06 02:19 PM
blank Offline
Companion
Companion
Rocky, preening himself while sitting on your shoulder is actually a sign that he does like you. They usually don't feel comfortable preening themselves sitting on just anyone...there's a fine line between trust and like...really, it sounds to me like things are going great! Like the others have said, 3 weeks isn't long.

Re: Trusts me but doesn't like me? #51928 04/26/06 03:26 PM
Rocky Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Yeah, he seems to preening himself a lot more recently over the few short weeks ive had him. He even preened himself while he was on my finger which i thought was a bit of a breakthrough

I'll keep plugging away and let you guys know how it goes.

Re: Trusts me but doesn't like me? #51929 04/26/06 03:40 PM
W
Weepingddragon Offline
Companion
Companion
W
Rocky i had that problem with Joseph a year ago. Right after my older bird died. So for an intire year, i played with him every day. He was really cool. Now that mary is here, hes being rebellious and doesnt trust me or likes me as much, hes too interested in getting the girl. Any advise?

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Buy Artvigil 150mg online
by rxonlinesecure - 05/20/22 08:53 AM
Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians
by dfdchgf - 05/18/22 12:04 PM
Architecture photography challeng
by latinkaone - 05/16/22 09:30 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site