Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NY Avian Law #324885 09/06/08 10:41 PM
H
Hikari Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I have been doing some research and I have come across an interesting question concerning the law and Avian Vets. From the help of my uncle, who is a lawyer in VA, he has made me question:

Is it NY State law that says that vets must take emergency cases? I know it is true for people who are sick, but pets are usually considered property (at least in VA, as my uncle has let me know).

Re: NY Avian Law [Re: Hikari] #325345 09/08/08 03:42 PM
F
Faith says hi Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
F
I haven't been able to find any laws on this. I'm not a lawyer though - but still, I was not able to find such a requirement. However you might be able to report them for cruelty to animals under Article 26 of the state code. The definition of torture includes allowing an animal to suffer unnecessarily, and torturing animals is prohibited.
Look under Agriculture & Markets, Article 26 (Animals).
http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi?COMMONQUERY=LAWS

I would certainly report these events to the state veterinary board. And possibly the better business bureau.

It's one thing if they don't have the expertise to treat birds and say so, but quite another if they imply that they know how to treat birds and then tell you that they won't see your sick bird for at least a month. Anyone competent to treat birds would have known the situation was urgent. Anyone with a heart, if unable to treat your bird, would have tried to help you find another vet who was able to.

Re: NY Avian Law [Re: Faith says hi] #325423 09/08/08 07:59 PM
*helwa
Unregistered
*helwa
Unregistered
it isnt a law, however it is part of the vet code of ethics. so in the states where it isnt a law, then the code of ethics comes to play and a complaint could result in the vet losing his lisence in that state.

however, in states where the ASPCA has legal athority, they could charge ANYONE specially a vet, with cruelty to animals if they choose not to help a hurt animal.

Re: NY Avian Law [Re: ] #325898 09/10/08 03:14 AM
H
Hikari Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks for input. I was wondering if it was something I could legally pursue.

Re: NY Avian Law [Re: Hikari] #326836 09/14/08 03:09 AM
LoveMyBoys Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
i dont' think it is law. some vets will not even take emergency break in appointments unless you are already a client there.

Re: NY Avian Law [Re: Hikari] #436257 11/01/22 07:37 PM
R
RandellHamilton Offline
R
The law applies to any person who owns or possesses more than two nests of wild birds, other than turkey vultures, bald eagles, or ospreys. It does not apply to those who have fewer than two nests for their personal use. Must visit how to get out of a dwi to learn the ways of beating a dwi.The law also does not apply to persons who own or possess less than four nest boxes for the purpose of rearing birds that are being used as pets or show birds.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
What is Vilafinil 200mg
by paulnelosn - 12/07/22 06:17 AM
Baby Parakeet still frozen in place after 3 weeks
by jasonvoo2019 - 12/06/22 07:14 PM
I need your opinion on a slogan
by landale - 12/06/22 06:41 PM
Buy Eszopiclone 2mg Online COD
by paulnelosn - 12/06/22 05:30 AM
Obesity raises Risk of Cancer
by landale - 12/01/22 11:40 AM
winter reminder for our birds
by AllanMajor - 11/27/22 06:25 PM
Mathematics tutor
by knightgael - 11/26/22 06:08 PM
Windows-Sicherheitsp
robleme

by landale - 11/26/22 02:30 PM
Jewelry Watches
by knightgael - 11/25/22 08:33 PM
Jewerly men's watch
by landale - 11/25/22 08:19 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site