Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians #130643 07/06/06 03:36 AM
mbas400 Offline OP
Tin Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
The Statue of Liberty - another American symbol stolen by the Christians for their own purposes.

When will it end? When an evangelical Christian sits in the White House? (Oh wait, that happened).

When they start teaching Biblical Creationism as science? (Oh wait, that's trying to happen too.)

Read in the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/05/us/05liberty.html

I keep talking about the impending Christian Theocracy coming to America. I might have been too late. [Linked Image] frown

Science flies you to the moon
Religion flies you into buildings
Re: Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians #130644 07/06/06 01:41 PM
C
Capt. Haddock Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Originally posted by mbas400:
When an evangelical Christian sits in the White House? (Oh wait, that happened).

I think the president's evangelical christianity is about as genuine as his Texas accent (notice that none of his relatives sound like that?) and flightsuited macho-posturing.

If he can get the evangelical christians to vote for him, it should be easy for me to make some money off of them. They say there's a sucker born every minute, but I reckon in this country there's two.

Just remember to keep your money in Switzerland and you should be ok.

Re: Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians #130645 07/06/06 06:07 PM
Believer Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Would you mind so much if the president were a Jew, or and atheist, or a Hindu? Who cares what he is. Almost every President from the beginning has claimed to be a Christian, it doesn't make them one.

God doesn't want you to be part of His Religion. He wants your heart.
Re: Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians #130646 07/06/06 06:17 PM
mbas400 Offline OP
Tin Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
I'd love it if the President was a Jew.

It's true that all claimed to be Christian. I doubt Clinton and Reagan and Bush Sr. was, but W certainly seems to be, and really wants to run the country out of his Bible.

an Athiest would be interesting, but I'm not sure I want an Athiest's finger on the nuclear trigger.

Although who cares, I prophesize we're all going to blow each other up anyway.

Science flies you to the moon
Religion flies you into buildings
Re: Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians #130647 07/06/06 06:40 PM
C
Capt. Haddock Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Originally posted by Believer:
Almost every President from the beginning has claimed to be a Christian, it doesn't make them one.
I agree. It’s all a question of telling the lumpen what they want to hear. The same way that a member of one of America’s most elite and connected political families can pretend he’s a good ole’ boy from the Texan bush and a draft dodger can pretend he’s a macho war hero, then an atheist, jew or muslim can pretend to be a Christian. Why not?

Originally posted by mbas400:

Although who cares, I prophesize we're all going to blow each other up anyway.
Then you need a bank account in Switzerland and a house in New Zealand. I bet you the kiwis will survive the nuclear holocaust.

but W certainly seems to be, and really wants to run the country out of his Bible.

If a member of the Bush family ever got religious, I’m sure they would join some upscale sect like the Episcopalians or the Lutherans, not some snake-charming peasant church where Bubba and Bubbette speak in tongues. I reckon it’s all an act. Everything else about the guy is a fraud, why should this be any different?

Re: Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians #130648 07/06/06 07:36 PM
V
victor Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
V
From the Capt'n:
not some snake-charming peasant church where Bubba and Bubbette speak in tongues
Hey watch it - I live down the street from one of those churches that speak in tongues. i
Of course I also live in the same state as the Statue of Liberty carrying a cross.

Its a pretty sad statement when churches have to use gimmicks to get people interested in their congregation. I get mail weekly from the local churches inviting us to visit.

It is also very sad how politicians and businesses in the bible belt (and beyond) play on Christian solidarity. I frequently get ads in the mail from a plumber or handyman or carpet salesman, and at the bottom will be a little fish symbol. As if that will make me trust them any more. And then every politician running for alderman, the school board, or senate, will also tell you which church he or she attends. Again, as if that would make him/her more qualified to set the fiscal budget for my town.

As for George W Bush, despite the fact that I think he is a total moron, I have to hand it to him that somehow he (or Karl Rove) has been just brilliant in playing the Christian card. Remember long ago when he campaigned as "the uniter" --- has the country ever been more divided about a president? ... How many more years until I have to sit through 8 years of Jeb?

Re: Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians [Re: mbas400] #436148 05/18/22 12:04 PM
D
dfdchgf Offline
D
I would find it irresistible if the President turned into a Jew. it is authentic that all claimed to be Christian. I am going to share this thread https://wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/130643/statue-florida lottery results-of-liberty-co-opted-by-christians to my kith nd kin that they know about that. I doubt Clinton and Reagan and Bush Sr. changed into, however W certainly appears to be, and in reality wants to run the u . s . out of his Bible. an Athiest could be interesting, however i am no longer certain I need an Athiest's finger on the nuclear trigger. despite the fact that who cares, I prophesize we're all going to blow each other up anyway.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
GARDEN FLOWERS
by Daruka - 09/26/22 08:12 PM
God's Court
by leyibop - 09/20/22 08:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by juniovidx - 09/08/22 12:04 PM
BIRDS BOOKS
by WilliamC00 - 08/29/22 01:11 PM
NFL draft poll: Revisiting Eco-friendly Bay exchan
by Davis Jordan - 08/29/22 08:28 AM
Motivation Granted: D'Wayne Eskridge Prepared towa
by Davis Jordan - 08/29/22 08:20 AM
Hear: Will Falcons Facial area Saints QB Taysom Hi
Panthers at Vikings: 5 queries with the Each day N
What we realized pertaining to the Chiefs this 7 d
by Davis Jordan - 08/29/22 08:19 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site