Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HELP SOMTHING TERRABLE HAS HAPPEND #43406 03/01/06 05:22 AM
arrow564 Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
i just got back from a 3 day trip from D.C with my school. when i got back yesterday morning i found out that there had been a compleet scrubdown of my house and the keets had been relocated to the DIRTY UNRENOVATED COLD BASEMENT! mad ! mad ! mad !!!! i was furious that this would happen to my birds i screemed up a tantrum but the word was final and they would ramane in the basement. this morning i checken in on them and to my HORRER there was Buckbeek, Hedwig, and Pig huddled on the floor together trying to keep worm(or atleast thats how it looked to me) and there was tweety in the courner DEAD mad frown mad frown I emideatly grabed the cage and ran upstears screeming at my mother that i dont cair how much mess they make i wont let them be punshed any mour. she was so sorry and guilt riddend that she was nearily in tears. she told me she was verry sorry and said that i could keep them upstears agen

so i burried tweety and put the others back in by worm clean calm draftless room and put in a worm bath and mullit for them and spoke to them for atleast an hour.

they seem to be recooperating well enuf but they are really quiet, they did eat and drink well enuf and seem to be getting active agen but i know a loss of a friend would be trammatizing on them. what should i do. how long should i wate befor getting another bird. will they be alright. and what could have killed Tweety

please help frown

Re: HELP SOMTHING TERRABLE HAS HAPPEND #43407 03/01/06 06:34 AM
mamakeet Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
I don't have any answers to your ??? but, I would like to say I am really sorry for your loss....
I am sorry that your keets got pushed aside like they didn't matter. I hope your mom relizes how much you love your keets.

R.I.P Tweety~~

Re: HELP SOMTHING TERRABLE HAS HAPPEND #43408 03/01/06 07:40 AM
Jloc Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
That is horrible I am so sorry for your loss, people just don't understand how easy a keet can pass away, even candles or febreeze can kill a bird, many products say pet safe but those tags do not go for keets, birds are a whole other deal, you could burn a teflon pot in the kitchen and it could kill your bird in a room in the back of the house, even with open windows and closed doors. They are just very sensitive. I know your mom now understands how much they mean to you and how selfish it was of her to put them in a cold basement.

As for why Tweety passed away I would have to say, either when your mom started cleaning the fumes got to Tweety, which cleaning products can kill a bird in seconds even in a well aired room, or Tweety got a bad draft from being in a cold basement and just couldn't make it. Ask Alyssa about this, COsmo her bird got a little draft and was very sick for a few days, and she saw it so quick and kept the bird very warm at high 70s to mid 80 degree temps, and took him to the vet asap, so Cosmo pulled through just fine, but if she hadn't noticed or didn't keep him warm after she saw him fluffing up then it could have easily turned out differently. They don't deal with being cold well at all, I hear they can do alright in the cold but they need to become used to it, if you take them from warm temps year round and then take them outside on a winter day, they just won't last long, but if you slowly introduced them to the cold they can do better, but still they do best in nice warm temps.

I'm sure your birds will be sad for a little but nothing helps better than to introduce a new friend, even for owners that are just crying for days if you make them get a new bird the next day they are much happier, of course they will be sad for a long time but having a new friend to take care of really makes it much easier to bare. Tweety was one of a kind and live on forever in your memories and in your keets memories, one thing that is good to know is that TWeety was with all his friends til the end and I am sure they stood by him and tried to help as much as possible. Try not to be too sad as Tweety is in that big Millet tree in the Sky and is happy with all the other beautiful keets that left us. So please keep us posted what you decide, I don't think there is any reason to wait, unless you need time. Again I am sorry for your loss and I wish you the best of luck. Good luck. Jloc

Frodo, Sam Wise, Shelby, and Scooter
Re: HELP SOMTHING TERRABLE HAS HAPPEND #43409 03/01/06 07:41 AM
A
AyEe Y0o Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
A
Oh my... first off, I am totally, extremely sorry for your loss, and for your mom to do that was wrong, now she knows that.. if it was me coming back, finding my birds in the basement, people around the world would hear my voice filled with anger... and I would win the fight. No Matter which way, I'd definitely force it to happen my way.

Once again... I am totally sorry!

R. I. P. Tweety!

Re: HELP SOMTHING TERRABLE HAS HAPPEND #43410 03/01/06 09:58 AM
Alyssa Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
How long were they in the basement? The whole 3 days you were gone? What exactly was the temp? At under 65 is when they will start to get very sick if they are in that for prolonged periods (several hours). I would recommend keeping a room they are in very very warm (mid 80's) for at least a day to help them recover. It took 3 whole days of constant 80 degree temps to get Cosmo back to his old self and he was only 64 degree cold overnight (8 or so hours) when my heater failed to come on. When they get cold like that, to reserve body heat they won't move much which means they probley haven't eaten/drank much.. If the birds were in very low temps for the whole 3 days you were gone Tweety could have just died from being too cold and not using the energy to eat right. It could have been the stress of being moved down there. Or, as Jloc said, cleaning fumes could have seeped down and killed Tweety.

Just watch your other birds, keep them warm and make sure they eat properly (some birds will stop eating when they lose a friend). I would keep the cage colors 3/4's as they are probley pretty stressed out from being moved into a basement and going through the shock of the cold. It's up to you when you get a new bird, but I would wait a little while before doing so. You might just keep these two, their bond will most likely become stronger and a third, new bird would be 'left out' because those two will be bonded so much.

R.I.P Elkie
Nov. 04 - Jul. 05
Your life was short lived but I hope you were very happy.
Re: HELP SOMTHING TERRABLE HAS HAPPEND #43411 03/01/06 11:06 AM
Jloc Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I just read your post ALyssa and you made some very good points, I justed wanted to say that you put "colors" instead of covered, and I wanted everyone to see that it was supposed to be covered, the reason I pointed that out is because it's a very good idea, not only will it keep them a little warmer, but they won't feel as stressed or in danger and are more likley to eat and heal from this issue. Also I am not sure but I think she still has 3 birds left, thats why I was saying to get another one because I was thinking the same thing you don't want any bird to be singled out and alone, again I am not sure but I think she has 3 after Tweety passed on. ANyways great post ALyssa, I figured you would be the best to talk to because you went through it and did an amazing job at saving Cosmo, so I figured you could help the most out of anyone here, you did an amazing job with him that time, it was cool to see how you saved him and seeing everything work out, so many times it doesn't. Oh well good luck everyone and keep us posted on your other birds, I hope everything goes well with them, and do as Alyssa says, we watching her bird heal in a couple of days like magic, she really nursed him back in no time flat. Best wishes everyone. Jloc

Frodo, Sam Wise, Shelby, and Scooter
Re: HELP SOMTHING TERRABLE HAS HAPPEND #43412 03/01/06 03:26 PM
arrow564 Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
THANKES ALL
Its grate to know how many cairing friends i have. now i will get them a new friend just as soon as i can. and another thing my house is not ecactly the wormist place in the world especially where i live...Michigan.... so what should i do will a space heater work? what about an electirc blanket, how about i put them infront of the heating duct
there is no way i can rase the temp in the house to that high
THANKES AGEN

Re: HELP SOMTHING TERRABLE HAS HAPPEND #43413 03/01/06 10:30 PM
arrow564 Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
they are really quiet and seem to be sleeping an owfle lot
theyr eating
but i saw a lime green dropping this is bad right
im so SCARED are they gonna.................................................................die?

pleze help

Re: HELP SOMTHING TERRABLE HAS HAPPEND #43414 03/01/06 11:26 PM
L
Lone Wolf Offline
Friend
Friend
L
The lime-green dropping was probably from stress.An electric blanket would only if you kept it to one side so they could cool off if they got too hot, but you could try. A space heater would be nice, but make sure it is free of teflon, as that is fatal to birdies. I am very sorry for your loss.

Though all the world may hate us, we are named. Though shadow overtake us, we are known.

Fear is the absence of knowledge.
Re: HELP SOMTHING TERRABLE HAS HAPPEND #43415 03/01/06 11:32 PM
OdinLove Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Sorry about Tweety I hope you can forgive your self and your family. Best wishs

Praise thee Leafe'

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How Tire Shredders Affect Our Climate
by allenlu - 12/28/21 06:18 AM
Modafinil 200mg Tablet: Provigil Uses, Dosage
by modafinilxpills - 12/27/21 07:16 AM
Three babies!
by Lanapo - 12/24/21 11:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site