Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Please help. I'm so exhausted. #430343 12/28/15 10:20 PM
L
littleduck Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I posted this on talk budgies forum but unfortunately got no replies. Hoping people here can help! I have a four year old female budgie (have had her all four of those years) named Zazu and she, for the last month or so (at least) has been exhibiting behavior that is very unusual to her. She has become aggressive, bites me very hard now, knocks over everything she can in her cage (dishes ect), and won't stop screaming day AND night. She has never done any of these things before. Nothing has changed! Well, besides the fact I am pregnant and giving birth to my first child in less than three weeks (not sure if non human animals pick up on this... Something about change in smells ect). And usually, if she is screaming bloody murder, I would always cover her for ten minutes, and she would easily calm down. Not lately. I'll cover her at night as I always do and she still screams. Let me be clear, of course this is natural driving me insane! But I love my bird and am concerned something is upsetting her or something is wrong. That is most important than my feelings. She has never acted out in this way and it is confusing me and frustrating me because I feel like there is something she needs but I don't know what that something is :'(. Again, nothing has changed, she hasn't moved, I let her have all the flight time she wants, I'm very attentive to her food/water/toy and mind stimulation needs. But I cannot figure out why she is so mean and cranky lately. Any advice you guys can give would be GREATLY appreciated... Because I feel like I am being tested already with a 24/7 screaming newborn, haha. Thanks!!!

-Sara

Last edited by littleduck; 12/28/15 10:21 PM.
Re: Please help. I'm so exhausted. [Re: littleduck] #430345 12/30/15 12:54 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I'm so sorry to hear you're having issues with her!

Certainly birds sense changes in their flock but this goes beyond normal jealous behavior. I would take her into a vet absolutely. I think something might be quite wrong with her and she's in pain.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Please help. I'm so exhausted. [Re: littleduck] #430352 01/02/16 09:14 PM
L
littleduck Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the reply, Lisa!So the vet informed me of hormonal changes in female birds in spring/autumn (I live in Florida, so our winter is basically autumn lol). I'm use to having male birds for the last ten years so this has caught me off guard. Also the fact that I have had her four years and never do I remember a time where she acted THIS hormonal. As far as what exactly to do during this stage, Dr was not that helpful. She is otherwise a very healthy bird. Anyone have any advice on how to deal with a hormonal bird? What do I have to personally change during this stage? I get so worried because I know she must not be comfortable... She screams all day nonstop and sometimes through the night (has been getting better at night though). I wish she didn't have to go through this and I knew how to help her..she's my baby Hopefully it passes soon. Thanks!

Re: Please help. I'm so exhausted. [Re: littleduck] #430353 01/03/16 07:34 AM
Kimash Offline
Companion
Companion
Hello, I have a female parakeet and I've never quite heard of behavior like yours. My girl is older, but she's the only one I have. Did you take her to the vet or just call on the phone? She might need a physical exam, including looking at her poop. The vet can run a test to see if something's wrong. Is he an avian vet or just a regular vet? That makes a difference as to how much he knows about bird behavior.

Females do act grouchy when going through hormonal changes, but that shouldn't be going on at night. Do you cover her at night and put her in a quiet room with just a small night light?

How is her diet? Do you use good food like Harrison's pellets and fresh chopped veggies? Her diet might be deficient in some nutrient.

It doesn't sound like you would do anything to scare her, but is anyone else around who might have made her nervous or scared? I doubt the baby did it!

Re: Please help. I'm so exhausted. [Re: littleduck] #430355 01/03/16 07:39 AM
Kimash Offline
Companion
Companion
I just thought of something else. Try playing some music for her. Parakeets like music or the tv.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Re: Please help. I'm so exhausted. [Re: littleduck] #430357 01/04/16 12:02 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I agree that this seems wildly out of sorts to just be hormones. I've had female parakeets for nearly fifty years now (i.e. my entire life) and never, ever had I ever had a female do something like this. It really shouldn't just be hormones.

I hate to say this, but is there another vet you can go to?

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Please help. I'm so exhausted. [Re: littleduck] #430365 01/06/16 09:38 PM
L
littleduck Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Quick update: So, it was indeed bird hormones! I woke up this morning to her with an egg she laid. I have never had a budgie do that. She is four and this is her first time. She is now much, much calmer. However, I do not know what to do with her egg. Will she get upset when I take it away as if I am taking away her baby? Does she understand it isn't fertilized and won't become a baby bird? I'm nervous about upsetting her. She has been sitting on it occasionally since this morning and moving it around with her beak gently. She doesn't have a box of sorts for nesting. She just laid it on the bottom of her cage. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Please help. I'm so exhausted. [Re: littleduck] #430368 01/07/16 01:37 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I'm still not sure it's hormones - it could be she was in pain and having trouble with the egg. Especially if it was her first one ever.

I'm glad to hear she's feeling better!

I would let her sit on it for a while and then she should lose interest - at that point you can take it out. Clearly it isn't fertilized smile.

Lisa Shea, Owner

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
NEW YEARS WISHES
by EVA21SA - 10/16/20 08:42 AM
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by EVA21SA - 10/10/20 07:50 AM
nike air max2 light blanche
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:53 AM
nike air max2 light schwarz
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:42 AM
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/28/20 09:13 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site