Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Questions? #430009 08/20/15 10:06 PM
Ashley Horan Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
I have some questions. If anyone could answer them that would be great!

1. I've only been letting tweety get out and fly around in the bathroom but I want to know would it be safe for me to let her come out in the living room? And what should I do to get her use to it? (She's usually always in there) and if she will come out in there and just hang out should I look into buying her a play stand? Whenever she comes out in the bathroom she usually just hangs out on my shoulder

2. Has anyone ever used a "bird harness" beforebefore and should I buy one or no?

3. I want to start getting ready for winter time what can I do to make sure that she stays warm at night?

Thank you!

Re: Questions? [Re: Ashley Horan] #430017 08/23/15 02:49 PM
Kimash Offline
Companion
Companion
Thank you for your questions. I'll try to answer them as best I can.

1. I've only been letting tweety get out and fly around in the bathroom but I want to know would it be safe for me to let her come out in the living room? And what should I do to get her use to it? (She's usually always in there) and if she will come out in there and just hang out should I look into buying her a play stand? Whenever she comes out in the bathroom she usually just hangs out on my shoulder

PARAKEETS SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO FLY OUTSIDE THE CAGE UNTIL COMPLETELY HAND TRAINED. IF THAT HAS NOT OCCURRED, THEN START THERE FIRST. LISA SHEA HAS EXTENSIVE TRAINING DIRECTIONS ON THIS FORUM. FLYING OUTSIDE THE CAGE IS THE LAST STEP IN HER TRAINING PROGRAM AND SHE TELLS YOU HOW TO GET THE BIRD TO FEEL SAFE OUTSIDE THE CAGE.

ROOMS HAVE TO BE MADE SAFE FOR THE BIRD. THAT MEANS CLOSING BLINDS TO WINDOWS AND SLIDERS, COVERING MIRRORS (SO THEY DON'T FLY INTO THEM), MAKING SURE OVERHEAD FANS OR FLOOR FANS ARE NOT RUNNING, CLOSING DOORS TO OTHER ROOMS, CLOSING OFF EVERY PLACE WHERE A SMALL BIRD CAN GET CAUGHT AND HURT HIMSELF. KITCHENS ARE THE WORST PLACE TO LET A BIRD FLY AROUND. TOO DANGEROUS.

2. Has anyone ever used a "bird harness" beforebefore and should I buy one or no?

NO, NO, NO. BAD IDEA FOR ANY BIRD BUT ESPECIALLY A SMALL ONE LIKE A PARAKEET. IT WOULD TERRIFY HER. IF THE ROOM IS BIRD PROTECTED AND SMALL, THAT'S WHAT THE BIRD MAINLY NEEDS. PARAKEETS ARE NOT SAFE FLYING AROUND LARGE UNSECURED ROOMS. BUYING A LARGER FLIGHT CAGE OR LETTING HIM/HER FLY AROUND IN A BATHROOM, LIKE YOU'VE BEEN DOING, IS YOUR BEST BET.

3. I want to start getting ready for winter time what can I do to make sure that she stays warm at night?

KEEP HER AWAY FROM DRAFTY WINDOWS AND DOORS. DO YOU COVER HER WITH A SHEET AT NIGHT? IF NOT, START NOW. THAT MAKES THE BIRD SLEEP BETTER AND KEEPS HER WARM AT NIGHT. IF A BIRD IS FLUFFED UP A LOT AND SHE'S NOT TAKING A NAP, THAT MIGHT MEAN SHE'S COLD.

GOOD LUCK!

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
NEW YEARS WISHES
by EVA21SA - 10/16/20 08:42 AM
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by EVA21SA - 10/10/20 07:50 AM
nike air max2 light blanche
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:53 AM
nike air max2 light schwarz
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:42 AM
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/28/20 09:13 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site