Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HELP #428085 04/12/14 08:17 PM
L
LadyV Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I had three keets. They were rescue babies. I have had them for seven years.One passed a few weeks ago and I was heartbroken, now another one is putting his head backwards till it is almost on his little back, when it's not like this, he is bobbing his head back and forth NOT side to side....very unnatural. I feel horrible as I live in a tiny little town, no vet to have him euthanized till Monday. I can't stand to see him suffer like this. Has anyone seen this before? A stroke maybe?

Re: HELP [Re: LadyV] #428086 04/12/14 10:01 PM
Jacquie Offline
Companion
Companion
I'm not a keet expert. But they do lay their heads around on their back to sleep sometimes, it rests their neck. Is it tucked under the wing? While he's bobbing his head, is he breathing hard? Is his tail bobbing too? What did the other keet pass away from?
I know that parakeets will hide any illness for as long as they can. You all ready know it would be best to get them to a vet, but if you can't you can't- I've been there myself.
I hope the best for you. It's so hard when you don't know if/what is the matter. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I'm hoping the very best for you and your kid.

Last edited by Jacquie; 04/12/14 10:17 PM.
Re: HELP [Re: LadyV] #428087 04/12/14 10:46 PM
Jacquie Offline
Companion
Companion
Oh, and just one more thing- please don't give up on your little guy too quick! It's one thing to know that these things do happen- I've lost so many of my best friends ( human and pet buddies/family) and it can be easy to assume the worst. But if you can get them to the vet maybe it's not as bad as you think. And the best advice anyone can give you here is to get him to the vet as soon as you can.

Re: HELP [Re: LadyV] #428088 04/12/14 11:44 PM
L
LadyV Offline OP
OP Offline
L
No...this isn't like that, like I said I have had these babies for seven years...never once sick and vets other than for health checks...this unnaturally bent backwards and he rocks, he's not sturdy on a perch. he rocks his head back and forth while it is till tilted completely backwards and he makes a tiny chirp sound.....it's heart breaking frown my little girl is just stuck to him like glue they were all three rescued together and then I lost baby girl, now it looks like Blue Boy and Angel will be all alone for the first time. I can't stand to think he is suffering.

Re: HELP [Re: LadyV] #428090 04/12/14 11:48 PM
jilly Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Definitely talk to a vet.

Jilly
LisaShea.com Forum Moderator
Frugal Living Editor at BellaOnline.com
App owner - RunPee.com - to help you find the best movie breaks smile
Re: HELP [Re: LadyV] #428111 04/18/14 11:34 AM
Jacquie Offline
Companion
Companion
just wanted to check and see how your little guy is doing!

Re: HELP [Re: LadyV] #428115 04/20/14 02:19 AM
M
molson Offline
M
I have never had problems with past parakeets now my parakeets run wild and refuse the easiest of training I have been very patient with them they fly around the room even coming within 5` is too close they won't get on a stick an avoid all attempts to even be in the same area the one parakeet who I have finger trained also jumps off my finger and run away at first opportunity. I give up

Re: HELP [Re: LadyV] #428116 04/20/14 10:51 AM
Jacquie Offline
Companion
Companion
Oh no! Please don't give up! Do you have them caged together? If so, perhaps separating them for awhile would help, and rebonding with them... work in the cage again, building that trust, and perch train them again, in the cage only. Sure, it may be frustrating, but keep in mind, (and I say this with respect) that they are not robots- they are living beings with a brain that doesn't think like we do. Perhaps something startled them and broke that trust. I would certainly not let them back out until they are 're-trained', that would just reinforce their new bad behavior. Or maybe just one at a time? But please don't give up on them. Every budgie is different...if they have been caged together, they have bonded to each other instead of you.

Re: HELP [Re: LadyV] #428117 04/20/14 10:57 PM
Kymber Offline
Friend
Friend
No, don't give up, molson.

As Jacquie says, every budgie is different. They each have their own personalities and their past experiences will have a lot to do with how they react.

Perhaps it would help if you thought back to the budgies you didn't have trouble with and figure out what is different this time. Did you get the earlier ones younger? Kept one at a time, or in a flock? If in a flock, how do they interact with each other? Are the current budgies you are having problems with from former homes (adopted from rescue)?

I agree with Jacquie that under the circumstances you may be better off limiting their out-of-cage time; you may want to only do so late in the day so that the room will start to darken from the sun setting after only a brief period of time. Budgies are somewhat more accepting of a finger to return to the safety of the cage if they think that's the only way they are going to get there.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Buy Artvigil 150mg online
by rxonlinesecure - 05/20/22 08:53 AM
Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians
by dfdchgf - 05/18/22 12:04 PM
Architecture photography challeng
by latinkaone - 05/16/22 09:30 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site