Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
New keet! #428039 04/06/14 09:54 AM
Jacquie Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Good morning! First, let me tell you that as a teenager, I had a parakeet, but none of us had any idea what to do with him really... he was an ornery kid. My Grannie decided she wanted him, and he lived a long time- but since I bought my new kid just this last Wednesday, I wanted to do the right thing this time. I've researched and researched, and was so glad I found you all! I've hand raised chickens- they were so tame that they would roost on me- and missed my 'flock'.
I know to Gooooo Slowwwww with the little guy- he's a beautiful blue by the way. We have a very nice sized cage that has more horizontal room than vertical. I even made my husband catch him at the pet store so I wasn't the one who was the bad guy...heh heh heh. I talk to him, sing and whistle, my hands only go in the cage when I'm changing his feed and water- although now I can put my hand on the outside of his cage and he doesn't freak out or move off. Last night I was sitting next to him, and started singing to him. He whistled and chirped first, then started closing his eyes like he was going to sleep! When I stopped singing, he would open his eyes to look at me. Does that mean he's starting to relax a little around me? Also, if he hasn't seen me for a bit, when I walk up to his cage and say hi, he stretches- one leg and wing and then the other. sometimes he'll fluff out and then settle. I've read that that sometimes means he's trying to relieve stress, or that's he's happy to see me. Just wondering, I know it takes awhile for them to settle in, but it would be great if he's getting used to me a little. I've only had him 4 days, so no, no hand training or anything. Thanks!

Re: New keet! [Re: Jacquie] #428041 04/07/14 11:57 AM
Kymber Offline
Friend
Friend
Welcome, Jacquie.

Budgies do tend to get used to their person faster when they are the only budgie around. You become the substitute for its flock.

His behavior when you started singing, then stopped, is very typical budgie behavior. In a flock, they will often be heard chirping and chattering to each other, often simultaneously (I have yet to figure out how they differentiate each "conversation" when they do this). If that chattering suddenly stops, it is often because a flock member has spotted a potential threat, so you would commonly find the rest opening their eyes and looking around afterwards. Again, you're "the flock" as far as your little guy is concerned.

Budgies stretch their wings, usually accompanied by straightening out the leg on the same side of their body, when they are getting comfortable with their surroundings. So that's a good sign.

Please come back and post as you and your new companion get more accustomed to each other.

Re: New keet! [Re: Jacquie] #428056 04/08/14 09:19 PM
Jacquie Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Aw, he'll eat from the millet spray that I'm holding in my hand-in his cage!- now. I don't give him much, but I wanted him to know what it was, so I laid a spray in the bottom of his cage, let him eat some, then take it out. Just so he would know what it was. Now I can hold the spray and he'll come and eat off of it! He's been more active in his cage too. I don't move my hand, just letting him see it's not a danger-no indeed it brings good stuff in! He just finished some, with my hand farther in the cage, then walked sideways across the perch, and lifted up one leg and relaxed...with my hand still in there! I took my hand out and he stayed in that position. He's been here six days today, and he's eaten (kind of) from my hand about 5 times today. smile

Re: New keet! [Re: Jacquie] #428057 04/09/14 02:10 PM
Kymber Offline
Friend
Friend
You're making good progress. Keep doing what you're doing ... it is obvious he already sees you as his flock.

Every budgie goes through the "statue" process when it comes to a new home. It takes time for a budgie to realize it hasn't been brought somewhere to be harmed.

Re: New keet! [Re: Jacquie] #428059 04/09/14 03:50 PM
Jacquie Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Thanks for answering and "talking" to me! I really want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Yes, the first 2-3 days were tough- especially for him! Poor little guy... He's eating the spray closer to my hand today, still watching so closely, but getting braver. He doesn't take it from my husband- heck, he doesn't eat it every time for me. When he doesn't, I wait for a bit then remove it. He doesn't get it as a 'freebie' anymore. Ha ha. I can't wait until he's completely comfortable in his home, and shows his true personality. I haven't named him yet, because I only know this side of him. Although he loves classical music, so that might help me decide. He is so precious to me all ready!

Re: New keet! [Re: Jacquie] #428060 04/09/14 06:14 PM
Kymber Offline
Friend
Friend
Careful, Jacquie. You may end up loving your little ball of feathers more than you do your husband!

And I can just picture that look as he sees the millet (which he wants) getting closer to your hand (which he still can't completely trust), trying to decide if it's a trap of some sort.

Re: New keet! [Re: Jacquie] #428062 04/09/14 08:47 PM
Jacquie Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Ha ha- Kevin says the same, that I love him (the bird) more- waah! Lol. Nah, Kevin likes him too, he always stops and whistles and talks to him.

He stretches out his neck as far as he can, and my fingers are pretty close! Yeah, he grabs a seed and keeps his eye on me- but wow, we've all ready come so far! I can actually move it a little to show more seeds and he doesn't freak out. We have a lot farther to go, I know, but still- progress is progress! And its so rewarding, knowing that he trusts me a little more today than he did yesterday. He's so worth the patience it takes.

Re: New keet! [Re: Jacquie] #428063 04/09/14 09:16 PM
Jacquie Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Wow!!! I just tried the perch training, because he's so good about my hand being in the cage---- he did it the first time! Then he did it about 3 times over and over. I can't believe it! He was pretty excited. The first time he got on it, he flew off to the cage, and flew around a little bit, but then he flew back and landed on the perch I was holding!!! Woo hoo! 7 days, and I've moved farther than I thought. What a blessing!!

Re: New keet! [Re: Jacquie] #428064 04/10/14 06:04 PM
Kymber Offline
Friend
Friend
Sure sounds like he's bonding with you, Jacquie.

I think if you keep doing what you're doing and don't push your little guy any faster than he wants to progress, you'll have a great little companion bird in no time.

Has a name for him come to you yet? I've found that sooner or later a budgie will do something that makes its name become obvious to its person. For example, my all-time favorite Chatterbox was very vocal from his first day here. On the third or fourth day when I came home, he went to the perch closest to where I was and started chirping up a storm at me. I remember saying to him "well, aren't you the little chatterbox" ... and knew at that moment I'd named him.

I hope the same "perfect revelation" happens with you and your little guy.

Re: New keet! [Re: Jacquie] #428070 04/10/14 09:33 PM
jilly Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Jacquie, it sounds like things are moving along wonderfully, and your little friend is starting to feel safe.

Jilly
LisaShea.com Forum Moderator
Frugal Living Editor at BellaOnline.com
App owner - RunPee.com - to help you find the best movie breaks smile
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Buy Artvigil 150mg online
by rxonlinesecure - 05/20/22 08:53 AM
Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians
by dfdchgf - 05/18/22 12:04 PM
Architecture photography challeng
by latinkaone - 05/16/22 09:30 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site