Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Enlarged liver #426722 07/20/13 12:27 PM
Kimash Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Hello-- My bird and I just returned from annual vet physical. She has an enlarged liver, vet did not see an tumor in the x-ray unless it was hidden too deep. Other vitals were good.

Does anyone have any suggestions for causes/cures? Vet did give me some Hepato Support powder to sprinkle over her food. But appreciate any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks so so much!!!

Re: Enlarged liver [Re: Kimash] #426725 07/21/13 04:26 AM
tessboss Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Hello Kimash. Sorry to hear about your birds problem. These tiny little creatures are inclined to have liver problems. Their livers are so small and have to filter so much.

I would eliminate all food coloring in the foods and make your own seed and grain mix without food color. See the "good food" thread to get ideas and sources. Look around at the stores, I have seen a couple of seed mixes without food color. I know that the chain store Pet Supplies Plus has a basic seed mix called "parakeet select" with no color and you can add grains like steel cut oats, flax seed and many other of the Bob's Red Mill products to it. Look out too for the preservatives that seed companies use in the seed mixtures, they to can cause liver problems.

Next, I would only give bottled spring water to eliminate harsh water and chemicals.

Sprinkle small amount of herbs on his seed to start detoxing his liver. Milk thistle, dandelion and parsley are very good for this. Does your bird eat fresh veggies and herbs? Let him/her pick at parsley everyday.

Keep us posted and good job catching the problem so early.

Re: Enlarged liver [Re: Kimash] #426726 07/21/13 06:14 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
some of the questions I would like to ask are ...

did you get a gram weight to the bird and

how old is this bird...

what kind of bird is it

what have you been feeding it specifically...

how much out time for exercise does it get...

I would go very easy on parsley as its a calcium inhibitor but CELERY(flakes) and MILK THISTLE (ORGANIC) are excellent liver cleansers just use the MILK THISTLE sparingly ..dandelion flakes also a very good thing to help liver issues...among even more things

ebay sells ORGANIC Milk Thistle and sprinkling celery flakes into the food will help but...so will this and I highly recommend getting it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aloe-Vera-80-Det...=item3a69769fc6

here is a excellent site to get your fresh herbs and spices with free shipping also...all things are listed in alphabetical order to help you find things easier

http://www.myspicesage.com/

one more thing enlarged livers are usually because of too much fat content in diet...so where I don't know the type of bird and that's why ive asked what kind of bird is it...you wont want to give much of any type of fattening seed or grains...such as sunflower seeds or flax or oat groats...those need to be fed sparingly.

a gram weight would be helpful to know also and im sure your vet weighed your bird and would have that information...

if you do get seeds and grains go ORGANIC and most can be found in ebay ..also if you do and should have some flax you want the BROWN flax its less fattening

EDITED

one more thing if this is a larger bird than a keet and usually has nuts in its diet id realllllly cut back on them and definitely also sunflower seeds

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 07/21/13 06:48 AM.
Re: Enlarged liver [Re: tessboss] #426774 07/23/13 04:36 PM
Kimash Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Hi Tessboss--I already use filtered water and the medicine the vet gave me is mostly milk thistle. I will up the daily fresh veggies and herbs. I did have some non-food colored seed mix but decided not use it and get something that you suggest.

Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it!!

Re: Enlarged liver [Re: illusive Fantasy] #426775 07/23/13 04:44 PM
Kimash Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
hi illusive fantasy. sorry for the slow response--it's been a busy week.

Parakeet, female, about 7 years old. Weight--48 grams up from 34 last year. that's when I knew she had a problem.

food--herb salad, harrisons, fruit/veggie mix, non food colored seed mix, mixed with fresh veggies on top--usually broccoli buds, spinach, etc. also add different spices every day as a garnish. red pepper flakes, fennel. was adding flax but that's gone now along with oat groats. will look for the other things you suggested.

thanks for all the great info. i want my little girl to get well.

have a great evening!

Re: Enlarged liver [Re: Kimash] #426777 07/23/13 05:48 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
whoa your lil girl is the size of a lovebird and now needs a tread mill giggle...and you were right to know that's when she had a problem

its nice to have a gram scale to keep tabs on our birds weight for these reasons...

you don't need harrison fruit/veggie mix our keets do not really eat fruits and usually there are additives to things like that...just keep feeding fresh veggies and herbs and spices...the more the better from the list I think I mentioned above with cilantro and thyme always being in their along with the red pepper flakes...beet powder and carrot powder along with alfalfa and dandelion id be sure are in there also...

glad your stopping the flax FOR NOW along with the oatgroats...altho if you use brown flax that's not as bad as the golden flax ...

but do also get that aloe 80 and start to give that in place of water...id make it a 50/50 mix aloe to water...its been known to do amazing reversals to liver issues.

please do keep us informed. its always nice to hear progress...and for the record I always prefer the natural way to go meaning instead of the medicine the real thing ORGANIC MILK THISTLE...and dandelion and alfalfa are great liver cleansers...

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 07/23/13 05:53 PM.
Re: Enlarged liver [Re: Kimash] #427460 12/27/13 09:10 AM
Kimash Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Hello Illusive Fantasy,

Just wanted to follow up. I don't take Burma back to the vet until the end of January, but I've seen a visible reduction in the size of her torso. So I presume the liver is shrinking. I got the aloe vera for the water, and I use it every day. I will tell you more when I go the vet. And ask you about continuing care.

Thank you very much!

Re: Enlarged liver [Re: illusive Fantasy] #427517 01/10/14 10:44 AM
Kimash Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
dear tess boss and illusive fantasy--i have followed your advice and it seems to be working well. taking my bird to the vet in early feb. for a follow up visit, but i can tell she's lost weight and her torso is smaller.

thanks for your advice. should i keep using the aloe 80?

thanks.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
NEW YEARS WISHES
by EVA21SA - 10/16/20 08:42 AM
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by EVA21SA - 10/10/20 07:50 AM
nike air max2 light blanche
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:53 AM
nike air max2 light schwarz
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:42 AM
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/28/20 09:13 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site