Print Thread
EMERGENCY KITS #426389 05/08/13 06:48 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline OP
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
I was just wondering if any of you have put together a emergency kit for your birds and where you keep it...what do you have in yours if you have one.

seeing how I don't buy commercial seed mixes and mix my own seed mixture, Cappy's emergency tote kit has all his grains, seeds, herbs, spices and powders along with a full month plus of premade mix all vacuumed sealed in his for starters. These take up most of the room in the large tote.

extra food cups, and water fountain, kwik stop, pipettes, small amount of bubble wrap, plastic covered table cloth, hand warmer packs, list of my sellers that I use, cue tips, and a few other small items...

I keep it right next to my sliders doors for a quick grab and run and Cappy is also right next to my slider doors...for the same reason.

so I would like to know if any of you have even thought of a emergency kit for your birds to have in a area you can get too quickly and what you have put into it.

Re: EMERGENCY KITS [Re: illusive Fantasy] #426390 05/08/13 07:17 AM
tessboss Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I do not have all the stuff you have but I do have the essentials and I also have bottled water just in case of boil water emergency or having to leave quick. It is just a single 16 oz. water but that is plenty for a bird for a good while.

Every month or so when I mix new batches of food I use the emergency food and replace it with fresher so the food doesn't get stale or too old. I also have dried veggies and herbs and recycle them too so everything is fresh.

Re: EMERGENCY KITS [Re: illusive Fantasy] #426391 05/08/13 07:40 AM
I
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
the one thing I don't have tess is the water ..with so much water around here that's one thing I don't worry so much about and we also have our own well so if worst came to worst I could always drop a cup down the well to get some water if nothing else..and the water from the lake has been tested and found purer than the taps in the city...there is never any motor boats on this lake...they are not allowed...and swimmers are far and few so not like things being thrown in the lake for garbage or trash either...there is also MANY streams and brooks.

i also rotate my herbs and spices and powders and have them dated in case I have duplicates so I use the older ones first and even my vacuumed sealed premix seed gets used all the time and I refreshen that as well...altho I sometimes wonder why I do that as like I said everything is vacuumed sealed.

where pipettes are so cheap I figure those are a must along with a egg mix to use with them..sure glad I had them when Cappy broke his beak and I had to hand feed for almost a month till he was able to begin to crack the smaller seeds.

my address is in there two where I keep a list of my sellers the shipping address is on them...and on my outside windows I have notices for a bird inside directing firefighters etc to where the bird is...they wont know to grab the emergency kit but getting Cappy out is most important...the rest id have to wing it for a bit...pardon the pun...to rebuild all the foods etc...that would be such a pain lol...and expensive...

altho as I think of it I could stash a months worth of vacuumed sealed premix seed outside like folks hide a house key...that would end up being a big life saver to give me time to get some things stocked up again...I could store it it a large tin so little critters didn't get in it too...and just put it in one of the sheds we have.

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 05/08/13 07:50 AM.
Re: EMERGENCY KITS [Re: illusive Fantasy] #426392 05/08/13 01:01 PM
tessboss Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
My son is a fire fighter and he told me that if a fire is engaged and they people are out or no one is home, they will not put their lives in danger for animals/birds. Many times they do not even try and save the building just keep it contained because they will not risk their lives to save property and animals are considered property in all 50 states.

He has rescued several animals that were near windows or doors, but he told me the smoke would kill a bird very fast, their lungs are just to small.

Re: EMERGENCY KITS [Re: illusive Fantasy] #426393 05/08/13 02:04 PM
I
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
yes im aware smoke would kill them quite quick I just like to think positive as our firehouse is merely a mile away but I don't doubt the chances of survival are slim.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site