Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help Plz! #426280 04/16/13 04:51 PM
T
Tigersmommy Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I Am new to having a parakeet again. I had 2 of them when i was a teen. I loved them. I have done all the research before hand. So this is my problem. My new little bird which we got from the pet store. We are not able to gain his/her trust. I have tried everything the books said giving her a few days until she starts to play with her toys and eat and move around. Done that was with in the 1st day. I gave her 3 days for this the i started to put my had in her cage after 3 days she use me as a perch and clean her self. then after a few days i would take her out but she trys to get away flying. Her wings are clipped so I am scared she is going to hurt her self. What else can we try that is safe. Please help

thanks

Re: Help Plz! [Re: Tigersmommy] #426281 04/16/13 05:11 PM
tessboss Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Relax, it sounds like things are actually going well. Many pet store birds never go near their owners and are not able to ever acclimate.

You are moving to fast. It has to be on the birds time not yours. The fact that your bird hops on your hand and grooms is excellent.

All stores clip wings and you will find most of the people on this site do not. It is instinct to fly for a bird. I recommend that you take your bird out in a very safe room. I used to place the cage on the living room floor and get Bob out so he could fly around near the floor and get back in his cage when he wanted to. When wings are clipped they find it hard to get any height and usually land pretty quickly.

You may want to continue to let the bird rest on your hand and groom for a while while you build on that before letting him/her out if you are scared to do that right now.

Relax, you are doing fine. And welcome to the forum

Re: Help Plz! [Re: Tigersmommy] #426292 04/19/13 06:54 AM
Lane Lester Offline
Companion
Companion
In spite of my following the recommended procedures, Billie has remained unwilling to perch on my finger. She enjoys, however, "face time" when she gets on her upstairs porch (cage door horizontal) and I put my face close to her.

The only time I regret not having her finger trained is when she accidentally flies out of her cage into the room. She always has trouble finding her way back to the cage, and finger transport would be a help. Yesterday Billie took off, and Gail suggested I try a spare perch for transport, and it worked very well!

Even though both doors of Billie's cage are open all day, she shows no desire to fly away from the cage. She will rarely fly from one porch to the other, but that's it.

Lane

Billie's Buddy
Re: Help Plz! [Re: Tigersmommy] #426293 04/19/13 07:38 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
hi lane good to hear from you again....

ok first of all she isn't accidentally flying out of her cage so don't let her fool you on that one...it may occasionally look that way but she does know what she is doing and wants too...birds want to fly...your room is very small from past comments and pictures so for a bird to get up steam and get to flying THEN maneuver in that small area would be risky and she senses this even tho she wants to fly and that's why most times she just stays put...

I wouldn't worry about the finger training if she goes on the perch for transport as this is the first training that..... should take place anyway..... is PERCH training and not the other way around as so many try to do because they want that instant bonding of physical contact...

PERCH training should always be FIRST....later down the road HAND not even finger training as the back of the hand is more reassuring to a bird to step up onto as I have mentioned many times...(wish people would take that advice)....but not if you have all sorts of rings or jewelry on and I don't mean you specifically Lane that's a general comment to anyone who will be reading this...

and whose recommended procedures are we talking about as I don't recommend finger training ever...nor do I ever say that would come first in training...

also when she comes out of the cage I don't believe she is having issues with finding her way back just don't want to go back so soon...ya might just sit down and ...

let her do her thing for a couple hours!!!!

that's how she will learn when and how to go back...don't go rushing about trying to retrieve her it just makes it worse...

MUCH WORSE... frown

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 04/19/13 07:40 AM.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site