Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: MommyParakeet] #425664 12/01/12 12:01 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
cracking up...i think that trick is cute as you really dont have far to go to her cage and it is her way of saying i love you can you come play...i miss you im lonely...please play...

yes you wont unfortunately find anything at walwart so dont even waste your effort or time there looking in pet dept....wont happen...

unless somewhere in the grocery area ....which i have NEVER seen any BOBSREDMILL..ive found it at another store instead.

good luck on the hunt.

and again good for a update and to see you back again...

Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: MommyParakeet] #425679 12/01/12 12:59 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Post made 11/23/12 by Cetan -

I am pretty sure that Kaytee still makes the Fiesta Max for parakeets but it is possible that Petsmart no longer carries it. A long time ago I had keets on the Kaytee Festa but then they changed the formulation to Fiesta Max, now I make my own mix but sometimes will use some Kaytee Forti-Diet ProHealth as a basis, it does have a few pellets in it but is more seed based and my boys really like it

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: MommyParakeet] #425695 12/01/12 05:40 PM
Lane Lester Offline
Companion
Companion
Just back from Ingles, our local big grocery store. They had Bob's Red Mill stuff, but only the Natural Raw Whole Flaxseed looked appropriate, so I got a bag.

They have a bunch of bulk dispensers, and these are "seedy":
Hard wheatberries
Pearled barley
Blend of wheat flakes, barley flakes, rye flakes, rolled oats, and sunflower seeds

Do any of the above look worthwhile?

Lisa, I can second your comment about pellets. Billie just ignores them and anything else that isn't a seed in the Fiesta Max or the FortiDiet Molting and Conditioning I add when she's molting. Actually, I'm not sure she eats anything in the latter.

Lane

Billie's Buddy
Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: MommyParakeet] #425700 12/01/12 11:48 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
glad you found some flax this is good...you dont want pearled barley tho...cant imagine them having that and not reg. barley...

try the barley flakes next time that could work...and ya some rolled oats if they dont have the reg. steel cut oats...no on the sunflower for sure...

i would not do the rye tho as flax is better and both are a bit fattening...so is oats for that matter...so dont be skimpy but dont be too generous with those ...

if you have some spices lane...like poppy seed, or anise, or thyme, cilantro, fennel, or crushed red pepper seeds, some celery or parsley flake or dill...add those also...

thyme and cilantro very benefical and the red pepper **seeds is crucial to vit A

and here is a thought...where they carry BOBS ask them to order a couple things for you...like...steel cut oats...and whole barley...im certain they would for you.

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 12/01/12 11:51 PM.
Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: MommyParakeet] #425733 12/07/12 01:44 PM
Lane Lester Offline
Companion
Companion
Of the dry foods I have available, it seems Billie eats only a couple of items. Here is a photo of the hulls beside her dish:

She doesn't seem very interested in the flaxseed, but maybe it will grow on her.

Do you know what those seeds are that are pointed at both ends?

Lane

Billie's Buddy
Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: MommyParakeet] #425734 12/07/12 03:52 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
well you dont have many showing by bobsredmill...i always type it as one word as thats how you see it all the time online lol...
so i cant tell what that is

but the others look to be some canary seed or alpiste which is the same thing just a different name sometimes even called canary grass seed usually found in all basic budgie seed mixes....or i think i also see a couple of whole oats with the first two.

those would be the ones ever so slightly darker and with a long vein opening running the length of the seed...as barley would look also very similar to the oats also...so id say the majority of what your showing is the canary/alpiste seed...in the top two pics....and no idea what that is by the bobsredmill as there isnt enough there to really see.

anyway here is a couple pictures of the canary and one of the golden flax maybe you can tell better what they are...and there will always be a little bit of waste and it takes TIME for some birds to get use to some new grains or seeds ...not all of them will just automatically eat new introductions ..but MOST do after a couple weeks.

this is the canary seed or often called alpiste seed and last picture will be golden flax ...good luck on identifying them.

this one is the GOLDEN flax...not brown

oh and those dont even look like HULLS in those pictures YOU posted, those look like the WHOLE seed...as you can see the canary/alpiste seed is pointed on both ends...and the flax is not quite the same ...but brown flax would look the same as golden only much darker.

how are you storing your unused seeds Lane as sometimes birds wont eat old seeds if not stored properly?

one more thing...is that bobsredmill flax SEED or a powder??? whats it say on the bag please...there isnt much there to see it.

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 12/07/12 04:02 PM.
Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: illusive Fantasy] #425736 12/08/12 12:40 PM
Lane Lester Offline
Companion
Companion
Thanks, iF, for the reply. That helps a lot.

Originally Posted By: illusive Fantasy
but the others look to be some canary seed or alpiste which is the same thing just a different name sometimes even called canary grass seed usually found in all basic budgie seed mixes....or i think i also see a couple of whole oats with the first two.

Yes, almost all of my hulls look like the canary seed photo you posted.

Quote:
this one is the GOLDEN flax...not brown

The BobsRedMill package I bought is the brown flaxseed, whole seeds. Billie doesn't seem to be at all interested in it. Maybe she would like the golden... but I'll probably have to eat all the brown stuff myself before Gail will let me buy more. grin

Quote:
how are you storing your unused seeds Lane as sometimes birds wont eat old seeds if not stored properly?

The Goldenseal stuff (which she eats the most of) is in its original heavy plastic bag clamped shut. The other items are in Tupperware-type containers.

Any thoughts about the FortiDiet Molting & Conditioning stuff? I sprinkle it over the seeds when she's molting, but I can't tell if she eats any of it or just roots around for the seeds below.

Lane

Billie's Buddy
Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: Lane Lester] #425737 12/08/12 06:18 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
Lane you have just begun to feed these things and it takes lots of time especially when your giving it mixed with the old food she is used to getting an recognizes

so of course this is going to be something that will take time...a couple weeks is simply in your case not enough time for this bird to adjust.

Dont switch just keep giving her what you have as in her case where she doesnt get much in the line of excercise the BROWN IS BEST..as its less fattening...but realize just like a kid or adult even ...they will gravitate to what they have been given and are use to for so long over anything new to be tried.

as far a what your asking regarding moulting food...i simply, myself, do not condone ANY commerical seed.

When fed with whole organic grains and seed mixes as most of us now do ...the rest of what you buy for this or that or treats is no longer necessary as they get what they need from a more nutritous diet...so you actually SAVE money...as you dont need to buy supplements, vitamins, or treats.

persistence in getting a bird to eat fresh veggies and new foods is a must...and mixing with old foods they are use to is a uphill battle for sure but not impossible...as a result you WILL SEE waste. Thats logic.

i must also restate...those are not HULLS in those pictures you posted those are the WHOLE seed...

the HULL is simply the casing of a seed or grain, with the fruit or meat inside of the seed or grain removed by cracking it open when the bird eats ...and looks different.

Two very different terminologies when referring to SEED, or HULLS, and whats is trying to be conveyed for better understanding.

remember also if or when you should try to buy your own organic seed that canary seed is also sometimes better known as ALPISTE SEED...so check under both.

also just closing in tupperware Lane is not good for storage as no matter what they say it doesnt BURP out all the air an so seed will age fast and lose its fresh delicious taste quicker...like fresh bread from day old bread the difference is huge.

So you would be better sealing in heavy duty freezer type zip lock bags and rolling it to push out all the air you can before zipping close. If done right you will see the seeds visiably stick to the plastic as if static electricity is making them do that.

it doesnt take long at all for their food to age and lose freshness at all...and if it doesnt taste good because of this well there ya go with another uphill battle trying to get her to eat anything new.

bird food...people food...dog or cat food...ANY food is best if somehow all is done to keep it as fresh as possible for as long as possible...tupperware is not the way to go or any of those types of plastic containers. frown

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 12/08/12 06:29 PM.
Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: MommyParakeet] #425738 12/08/12 06:21 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
ok first of all there is posting issues going on here as i went to post this and got a error then it said it already existed when i tried to post again and it didnt exist so im now trying this AGAIN.

and now i see it got posted twice so i am editing this and taking out the second posting which is what is above.

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 12/08/12 06:23 PM.
Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: MommyParakeet] #425933 12/29/12 04:21 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I know online can be expensive but Dr Foster and Smith is fairly reasonable and often has sales + free shipping if you order $49 and they have individual seeds - canary grass, white proso millet, red proso millet, oat groats and I think they have Kaytee Fiesta max. They also have a lot of cool toys and perches so you could come up to $49 too easily smile. If you get just 2 or 5 pound bags they will keep for a while as long as they are sealed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site