I
illusive Fantasy Offline OP
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
dear lisa

sorry to hear about that nasty cold...hope your feeling better by now

just wanted to say thanks for fixing lost post but, there is still issues of the initial opening of the site taking way longer than any other site when clicked on as well as a smooth transition from post to post when making them...it takes forever and some posters have even thought it wouldnt post and did double and triple post before it looks like its transitioning...i still believe its because of the many ads myself...but whatever it is...its slow...and discouraging..

was very reluctant to say this to you as i dont mean to maybe get you on the defensive about it all but you should be aware of this and ive not said much about it ...but its ongoing and should be addressed.

thanks for all the time you do put into the site i do know how time consuming that can get and being a real brain workout that can really tire one...just trying to get it all down and done. smile

Re: LISA/FORUM [Re: illusive Fantasy] #425698 12/01/12 09:26 PM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Dear Illusive Fantasy -

My cold is getting a bit better, but not quite there yet. Hopefully I shake it soon.

It's fine to point out things to be fixed in the forum smile. I appreciate that.

Yes I agree it's still slow. It's not the ads. For example, the slowness happens during posting, which doesn't involve ads. It's about it putting data into the database.

I did do the update but haven't finished tweaking all the settings on the new database yet. It's still in its default state. I wanted to make sure things were running properly before starting to fiddle with all the settings. So I'm finishing that round of checks, and then I will start my tweaking!

I'll also be upgrading us to the latest version of PHP (the code these forums are written in) and tweaking those settings.

So there are still tweaks to come! I want to get the core upgrades done first, though, so we're on the "latest and greatest" before I start the fiddling stage.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: LISA/FORUM [Re: illusive Fantasy] #425699 12/01/12 11:39 PM
I
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
dear lisa

geeeeeeee cood luck on all that..some people have a wealth of patience to do this...and TIME...

yes the slowness does happen during posting but also when first trying to open the site as well.

if you dont shake that cold soon now...id have it check for maybe walking pneumonia...not funny stuff. frown

Re: LISA/FORUM [Re: illusive Fantasy] #425701 12/02/12 08:10 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Dear Illusive Fantasy -

I definitely don't have oodles of free time smile. There are all sorts of things backlogged right now, and I'm in finals week for school too!

But I definitely shuffle things for priority and when the forums become pretty much non-responsive I make sure to work on it. It seems fairly certain to be something about the database. I'm getting the same sluggish behavior when I go to update my WordPress blogs, and there are zero ads in my admin interface.

I just installed PHP 5.3.19 and also FastCGI which is an accelerator. So I'm trying to software fixes first to see if they help.

I'm going to try adding a caching agent to my blogs so that they do less interaction with the database. I'm wondering if part of the slowdown here is that I now have the five blogs which "share" the MySQL that this forum is using. Maybe the requests to read my blog are slowing this down.

In any case, I'm chipping away at it, and hopefully things will improve soon!

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: LISA/FORUM [Re: illusive Fantasy] #425702 12/02/12 09:38 AM
I
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
dear lisa

yes i have noticed your doing work as when i tried to login earlier that became obvious...message was something to the affect could not reach data base...anyyyyway.

everything "shared" will yes have to filter through this an that, search out specifics to land you where you want, and slow things up...thats a given and id say a direction to go in for a start.

i have not heard that accelerators are much good...more hype i think than anything is what ive got in the past listening to others talk.

i truly do not envy this process of elimination your going through i can tell you that with all sincerity.

i am with you on the hopeful aspect that things will improve soon.

Re: LISA/FORUM [Re: illusive Fantasy] #425704 12/03/12 05:37 PM
I
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
dear lisa

whoa so far so good i must say....yesterday site opened very speedily...and just now again....i havent really seen yet if transitioning from thread to thread has improved...but i think you got lady...

keeping my fingers crossed it last.

well done

Re: LISA/FORUM [Re: illusive Fantasy] #425710 12/03/12 11:23 PM
I
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
dear lisa

oooops looks like i spoke to soon...its back to a long wait to login etc... frown

Re: LISA/FORUM [Re: illusive Fantasy] #425719 12/05/12 09:43 PM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I'm still only partway through the tuning process, but it is getting better. The server used to be pegged at 100% without a break, and now it's only occasionally pegging at 100%. I still have two more databases to convert into a different format, and then some tuning to do on the settings. But I think we're heading in the right direction.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: LISA/FORUM [Re: illusive Fantasy] #425720 12/05/12 09:52 PM
I
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
this is what im getting both in logging in as well as transitioning Error Details: •The FastCGI process has failed frequently recently. Try the request again in a while •Error Number: -2147467259 (0x80004005). •Error Description: Unspecified error HTTP Error 500 - Server Error. Internet Information Services (IIS)

Re: LISA/FORUM [Re: illusive Fantasy] #425722 12/05/12 10:05 PM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I got greedy and started zipping up a bunch of stuff at the same time I was downloading a bunch of stuff, to prepare for some disk defragmentations smile. Guess I jumped on the poor system a little too hard on its first day of behaving better.

I'll back off and do all of that late tonight smile.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site