Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Birds' food discontinued! #425625 11/18/12 04:14 AM
M
MommyParakeet Offline OP
OP Offline
M

I found out tonight the food my bird's were on (Kaytee Fiesta Max) has been pulled from the shelves of all Petsmart stores in the area and discontinued.

While I did eventually select a bag of bird food for them, I am still wondering if I've made a good choice.

What are some good brands and types of food for parakeets? The kind I got only says Food for Parakeets on it and that it's a nutrionally balanced diet for parakeets, canaries, finches and other small birds. It's in a large size blue bag.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure my bird's are on a food that is of good balanced nutrition and quality

Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: MommyParakeet] #425627 11/18/12 09:58 AM
tessboss Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Welcome Mommy Parakeet. You will find most people here do not feed commercial food diets. Too much coloring and it isn't always fresh.

If you look through the older threads here you will find a thread called "good food" and it gives you great resources and ideas on parakeet nutrition. It is lengthy and provides tons of info.

Do you have a "pets supplies plus" store near you? If you do then you can get the seed called "parakeet select". It is the basic seed that has no coloring in it at all. You can add some more seeds and grains to make it more nutritious and balance the diet for your bird. I add Bob's Red Mill flax seed, stone ground oats, some barley and buckwheat if you can get it. Bob's Red Mill has a whole selection of seeds and grains online and most Kroger and some other groceries/health food stores carry some of it. Once you find a store that carries it you can ask them to get some of the varieties they may not always carry.

Offer your bird fresh veggies too. Romaine, kale, carrots and carrot tops, beet greens, broccoli florets, celery leaves, etc. Keets are not big on fruit but they do seem to love veggies once they get used to eating them. They also like cereals, like corn flakes, cheerios, bran flakes and plain shredded wheat, no sugar.

I found that Bob eats anything I act interested in. I sit by his cage and munch it and make yum sounds and he always wants to try it too. It may take some time for them to actually get to eating it but never give up.

Good luck and keep us posted.

found the good food thread. It is long and worth the read. I forgot that I actually started it! Some of the info is changed like the fact that the seed place is closed now but keep reading anyway, lots of good info.

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/410868/Good_food#Post410868

Last edited by tessboss; 11/18/12 10:04 AM.
Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: MommyParakeet] #425629 11/18/12 11:31 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
hi there...i find it very interesting you saying it was PULLED from the shelves being DISCONTINUED...did you ask why???

tess is right where she says most of us here do not feed commercial seed mixes or pellets...besides as mentioned about the food coloring there is usually stuff in it your paying for that is either not good for keets or they simply dont eat it...so its wasting money...never mind all the additives..

do read that good food thread...beginning to end...and if you have questions or comments about it ...make a new thread so it doesnt get any longer for folks to have to read please where it becomes just a comment thread lol...thanks...

and in the meantime here is a couple things for you to scan as well...all things SAFE LIST AND TOXIC LIST

http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/non-toxic-for-birds.html

Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: MommyParakeet] #425631 11/18/12 01:59 PM
M
MommyParakeet Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the reply, I'll look at the thread right now and thanks for that list on what is toxic and what is not. I have a house plant, no idea what it is, so it's going in the garbage immediately.

Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: MommyParakeet] #425632 11/18/12 06:00 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Not much more to add to what the above posters said other than I totally agree about commercial seed mixes. Bunch of junk.
That Good Food thread is chock full of good stuff smile

If you can post a pic of the plant in question maybe we can identify it so you might not have to throw it out.
Or if it is on the toxic list maybe give it to a friend? I hate to see good plants go to waste. lol

Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: MommyParakeet] #425658 11/30/12 12:37 PM
Lane Lester Offline
Companion
Companion
I may be told I don't deserve to own a parakeet, but here goes...

I hoped to make my own stuff, but I don't live near any sources of the ingredients, and I can't afford the online prices. I feed Billie occasional fresh stuff, but commercial seed mixes are her main diet. She has continued over the months to be a healthy and very active companion.

I currently have some Goldenfeast Basics Plus Conditioning Parakeet Food I got online and some Fiesta Mix I bought at PetSmart. If the latter has been discontinued, I will need to find something else.

I was hoping this thread would identify the "something else."

Lane

Billie's Buddy
Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: MommyParakeet] #425659 11/30/12 01:25 PM
tessboss Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Do you have a store called Pet Supplies Plus in your area? If you do have one, they have a dye free parakeet mix called parakeet select that isn't bad and you can add some other grains that you get from the grocery store to beef it up a bit. The basic mix comes with canary, millet and oat groats. No dyes and it has always been fresh when I bought it.

Everyone has different situations and should do the best they can. Don't beat yourselves up so much.

Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: tessboss] #425660 11/30/12 01:56 PM
Lane Lester Offline
Companion
Companion
Originally Posted By: tessboss
Do you have a store called Pet Supplies Plus in your area?

Thank you for your suggeestions and encouragement.

I checked their website store locator, and they do not have a store close to me. There are many advantages to living in rural Georgia, but local shopping isn't one of them. smile

Lane

Billie's Buddy
Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: MommyParakeet] #425662 11/30/12 06:36 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
hi lane good to see you back again...you can always order a bit at a time no need to order everything all at once...any seed not coated and organic is good to have in their food cups...

also check your grocer for BOBS RED MILL items many carry it for some of your grains also, it would usually be in the special food aisles...such as flax and oat groats ..i believe barley as well...even some chain stores with pet depts like i think its kmart of something like that ...they carry it also ...but your reg. pet stores dont...it would be worth trying some other chain stores with a pet dept...and if you dont see it right in the pet area just ask as some place it right near by...BOBS RED MILL is a hot item and a lot of stores do carry it.

so how have you and that cutie been...miss seeing the picture where she is hanging down from the door...hope all is going well for you smile

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 11/30/12 06:37 PM.
Re: Birds' food discontinued! [Re: illusive Fantasy] #425663 11/30/12 08:11 PM
Lane Lester Offline
Companion
Companion
Originally Posted By: illusive Fantasy
hi lane good to see you back again...you can always order a bit at a time no need to order everything all at once...

Thanks for the suggestions. Gail usually does the grocery shopping, but I'll go with her next time to see what's there. Wal-mart is our "big store" where I get goldfish and stuff, but I don't think they have much in the way of bird food.

Quote:
so how have you and that cutie been...miss seeing the picture where she is hanging down from the door...hope all is going well for you smile

I'm in the process of moving my website building business from one server to another, so I think that's why the photos went away. I'll try to come up with some new ones.

I taught Billie a trick I'm beginning to regret. If she rings one of her little "cow bells," I'll come over to the cage and ring the other one. Needless to say, she enjoys this more than I do.

Lane

Billie's Buddy
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site