Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Broken blood feather #425483 11/05/12 12:49 AM
Lady Vyz Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Ok, so Joey's, our newest, flight feathers are growing in. Tonight as I was walking past his cage noticed a broken feather on the floor. When I picked it up, I noticed it had dried blood on it. I immediately got the corn starch, grabbed Joey and headed for the bathroom. It was the first flight feather on his right wing. It had already stopped bleeding, but we put corn starch on it anyway. I had my husband remove all his toys and the very top perch. We left one feed cup and water cup. Should we just leave it alone for a few days, and keep an eye one it, or should I take him to the vet and have the feather pulled?

Lady Vyz

Re: Broken blood feather [Re: Lady Vyz] #425490 11/05/12 03:46 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
gosh i thought you went thru this before maybe someone else there are too many of you to try to remember who go thru this way to often...

i wouldnt do anything to it till you get some kwik stop...corn starch is a substitute for kwik stop and nothing is better even tho corn starch and soften up soap bar works among other things...just the kwik stop has a bit of pain killing antibiotic in it and the other stuff doesnt...

you can leave food cups too more than one dont upset the cage interior too mush leave for the most as is unless like i said there are things with pointed ends sticking out...

be sure not to let the bird out to play till feather is removed...also be sure to leave a decent nite light on when covering the bird at nite to sleep.
http://www.cockatielcottage.net/feathers.html

you would need kwik stop pair of good needle nose pliers that can grip the shaft tightly right at the base where it begins to grown..and with one unwavering sharp pull in the direction the feather grows out remove the feather than apply the kwik stop...

the pain is equivelent to pulling a bandaid really fast from a wound...

yes be sure there is nothing in the cage sticking out like perches which dont go all the way across but most toys can be left in if they are against the bars of the cage...

then i would definetely still pull that feather and then put the quick stop on it...because it stopped doesnt mean that it cant now break lower and bleed more again...only way to prevent that is pull it and you can do it without a vet...

ive done it ...explained how its done in here also for others to also do it for their birds too...dang birds always do something after hours or on holiday weekends or vets on vacations whatever ...lol

funny how this is a topic sort of being discussed in another thread and how this most often happens with birds that have clipped flights...and much less often with birds who dont have clipped flights...but folks should all learn how to pull a broken blood feather...

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 11/05/12 03:47 AM.
Re: Broken blood feather [Re: Lady Vyz] #425507 11/05/12 07:31 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Oh my goodness Lady Vyz.
How is little Joey doing? Did you get the broken feather pulled? Always easier with a second set of hands by the way if there is someone there to help?
Glad it clotted on its own so you had time to take care of it without feeling too rushed.

Love that blood feather link illusive. It's probably one of the best. I have it bookmarked as one of my favs too.
A good thing for others to do...bookmark that link in case it's ever needed. wink

Re: Broken blood feather [Re: Lady Vyz] #425517 11/05/12 08:59 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
thanks i try...its all i can do...sigh.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Parakeet kicking other one
by Lausack - 08/31/20 10:36 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site