Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Pass the fennel fronds!!! #424766 09/24/12 07:22 PM
tessboss Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
Holy cow! Today I was making a fennel and apple salad (that is very good)while Bob was perched on my shoulder watching.

I was singing to the radio and he was watching me, quite intently I might add. When I went to discard the fennel fronds, he starting yelling and screaming at me, very loud.

I stopped and said what is the matter with you? He jumped on the fronds and began munching and rolling around like a little nut, so I put the bunch on the counter. He played and munched for 10 minutes and then was done.

I have filed that in my brain for future use.....Bob wants the fennel fronds and do not even think about throwing them out until he is done with them!!! Lol

Re: Pass the fennel fronds!!! [Re: tessboss] #424773 09/24/12 10:31 PM
Lady Vyz Offline
Companion
Companion
OMG how cute, are you sure he is not Italian? smile

BTW, save those fronds, dry them and add them to his seeds.

Last edited by Lady Vyz; 09/24/12 10:33 PM.

Lady Vyz

Re: Pass the fennel fronds!!! [Re: tessboss] #424775 09/24/12 11:49 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
lol That Bob...he's always been one to know what he wants, and by gosh he lets you know it too!
Way to go Bobaroo smile

Re: Pass the fennel fronds!!! [Re: tessboss] #424776 09/25/12 01:51 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
ok im in the dark ive never seen fennel fronds in my grocery store... frown

Re: Pass the fennel fronds!!! [Re: tessboss] #424782 09/25/12 01:14 PM
tessboss Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
Fennel or Anise as it is called in many areas is a bulb vegetable and the the stems that you cut off have little fronds on the stems. The bulbs have a fresh mild taste of licorice.

The fronds look much like the hairy parts of the dill plant. I keep a few fronds and do dry them for adding flavor to fish or salads.

I had no idea Bob would like them so much since he is not that fond of fennel seeds. I have been teaching him to stay out of my veggies and food prep stuff and I give him his own but I had no idea how much he wanted the fronds. He was very patient and waited for his. I am actually proud of him for his patience and not trying to get into the food while I was preparing it.

Now if I can get him to quit asking for baths when he really doesn't want one. Everyday he asks for a bath....I get the greens and adjust the water, put the greens just right in the palms of my hands, tell him bath is ready for him to jump in and he watches the whole prep and then says "Not today" and flies off! About every 3rd or 4th time he actually does take a bath. UGH! If I ignore him he tells me all the rest of the day he is a "dirty bird".

Re: Pass the fennel fronds!!! [Re: tessboss] #424785 09/25/12 02:21 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
My grocery store has fennel but I've never gotten it. hmmm I bet my guys would like it too.

Here's a link to a pic of fresh fennel
http://www.schreiberandsons.com/fennel.html
You guys can also read up on the nutritional values. Good stuff..I've been feeding fennel seeds for quite some time now (as has others here I know) for their benefits,my 2 love them, but never fresh fennel.

Hey Tess, did Bob smell like licorice after his fennel bath?? lol mmmmmmmm

Re: Pass the fennel fronds!!! [Re: tessboss] #424787 09/25/12 03:12 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
hey thanks for that link and a picture and by gosh if its what i think ya know what....my grandpa use to plant this in large clumps if the ferns feel super soft that is...and id love to as a kid just run my hand down them because of how soft it was lol...

i get the cilantro fresh when i can and cappy goes nuts over it so ill have to keep my eye open for the fennel now...

thanks gals. smile

Re: Pass the fennel fronds!!! [Re: tessboss] #424796 09/25/12 09:57 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
well i certainly do not have the little character that some of you do ..especially tess and her lil clown...but...the other day i too noticed something with Cappy...

first let me say the ingenuity these birds come up with can be mind boggling...and their process

i have four cups to use for seed and one for herbal salad...

two of those cups are the stainless steel type where the cup lifts off a ring base...

now i fill all cups with 1 1/2 tablespoons of whatever and check every day as to what ones look like they need to be refilled as all birds tend to have a favorite area to feed making one cup that is used more than the others needing refills sooner.

every other day ill finger stir the cups to get some of the hulls out of the way of some viable seed not as yet eaten and make it easier for Cappy to sort thru all that.

well guess i was a little lax or slow to do that the other day to suit Cappy so he decided to do his own stirring...i just sat and watched for three solid minutes he manufactured his own personal way to stir...he grabbed the edge of the cup where it sits on the ring and would lift and shake... twist and turn... and bang it some more to get it all stirred...then ate.

i was absolutely amazed at his craftiness in doing this because as mentioned ...other than being ridiculous at being a velcro bird its not often he does something id consider remarkable lol..

lesson learned ...never underestimate even what may seem to be a dull bird from figuring out a problem then solving it for themselves...if they see even a hint of you doing something that solves a problem they will then take it from there and copy cat in their own ways.

well come his 3rd birthday ...oct. 1...he is gonna have another BIG surprise in store for him...and we will see how he handles THIS one...

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 09/25/12 10:10 PM.
Re: Pass the fennel fronds!!! [Re: tessboss] #424798 09/25/12 11:17 PM
Lady Vyz Offline
Companion
Companion
SURPRISE??? The suspense is killing me, do we have to wait until Oct 1 to find out what it is?

These little guys will surprise you all the time. I guess that's why we love them so much!

Lady Vyz

Re: Pass the fennel fronds!!! [Re: tessboss] #424819 09/26/12 09:07 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
yep your going to have to wait lol

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Parakeet kicking other one
by Lausack - 08/31/20 10:36 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site