Print Thread
? about cuttlebone... #423646 05/08/12 07:04 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
L
Hello, haven't been on in a long time. I moved and my girls are doing wonderfully well, although one turned out to be a (noisy) boy!
Anyway neither of my Budgies have been interested in cuttlebones for as long as I've had them. They are always offered, but always thrown out unused.
Recently my girl has started to destroy the entire thing, including the hard part! Is this normal? I don't think she is eating it since there is a pile of crumbles at the bottom of the cage daily, but half of the entire thing is gone. I thought they leave the backbone and eat the soft part?

Re: ? about cuttlebone... [Re: Love My Budgies] #423648 05/09/12 03:58 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
ruh rhoe sounds like your female could be getting hormonal and wanting to breed...watch for signs...dont know if you want babies but if you dont id remove anything shreddie..mirrors...reduce her gormet meals to straight seed no veggies and reduce the amount of daylight for her to 8 hrs till she reverts back to normal...and

REMOVE the male to a different cage ...that way if she still continues at least the eggs wont be fertile...have you caught them copulating and are you there all day to catch them if they do?

whats her cere look like is it getting extra crusty there LMB??

and ..welcome back

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 05/09/12 04:00 AM.
Re: ? about cuttlebone... [Re: Love My Budgies] #423651 05/09/12 01:50 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
L
Hello, thnx for the response.
Yes, she is hormonal, crabby, & with crusty brown cere. Luckily she does not like the male and ignores all of his advances, will chase him away, bite/nip him, and prefers to be alone. I have been allowing her 12-14 hours of sleep in darkness, and separate them often during the day/evening - I do work from home. I don't allow mirrors except on their play gym, and baths and wet food limited during hormonal times. Luckily she has not laid any eggs in the nearly 4 yrs I've had her.
Is the destroying of the hard part of the cuttlebone normal? I thought they were just supposed to eat the soft part.

Last edited by Love My Budgies; 05/09/12 01:53 PM.
Re: ? about cuttlebone... [Re: Love My Budgies] #423652 05/09/12 05:29 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
well im ruling out a molt seeing im sure you know about some being crabby during that time also and if she is going through maybe both at the same time ...could be the extra with the temper tantrums...i still recommend more darkness than what she is getting also...to 16hrs..with no ill affect to her...

is that cuttlebone flavored by any chance and do you also use a mineral block? If you do is she touching that? Mineral blocks are better too than a cuttlebone...but from what your saying she is destroying and not eating the hard part ..thats some bite on that little girl to be doing that...geeeeeeeesh.

I also still say separate them because something is frustrating her to all get out and where you say she would rather be alone maybe she is telling you something here..is her beak ok? Not extra long or anything?

im not sure whats normal for HER giggle at this time...myself ive never heard of a bird doing that not to say some dont...just ive never heard of it. Most wont even touch their cuttlebones. But here is a thought...if she is hormonal ...she wants to shred something for sure and if she doesnt have anything else to shred seems like she found something to appease that desire.

id say remove the cuttlebone and get or leave a mineral block in there...and try some powder or liquid calicum for awhile just till she forgets about this ...and no brocolli or parsley or spinach those are calcium inhibitors.

sorry i cant think of what this may be all about other than what ive mentioned. frown Its got me stumped..other than to make those suggestions. smile

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 05/09/12 05:31 PM.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Dreaming of Losing a Pet
by Jane Pierce - 06/01/21 05:08 AM
nike kyrie 5 en soldes
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:53 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:49 AM
adidas stan smith dames lichtblauw
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:47 AM
Dieser Ring aus Sterlingsilber eignet
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site