Next Thread
Print Thread
Budgie fell on oven door :( #423219 03/30/12 12:03 PM
K
kweston Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hey guys,

It is late here and I can't call a vet until morning, so was hoping someone might be online who could help.

My budgie was on my back when I went to check on dinner in the oven. He got a fright and fell onto the hot oven door. He was there for maybe a few seconds and we immediately ran his feet under the tap.

He is now quite subdued and wanting to sleep. He seems to be okay standing on his feet, but I was wondering if he might have gone into shock and if there is anything I can do?

Has this happened to anyone else? In the morning we will take him to the vet but is there anything else I can do for him tonight? Any warning signs?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Budgie fell on oven door :( [Re: kweston] #423220 03/30/12 07:38 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
sorry to get to this so late..im hoping you have been to a AVIAN vet by now...there is a CREAM that can be put onto the birds feet which i would do if the vet didnt give you any...and its neosporin...id do that for a full week at least once a day...and good thing you got those feet under cold water right away...that was good thinking and fast action on your part...

as you NOW know ...birds should NEVER be out while any cooking of any sort is going on i dont care if its two minutes in a microwave...one of those childproofing steps BEFORE a bird is ever let out of a cage...

some things to do when you are about to let a bird out...is

1. lock doors and put a sign up saying bird out on BOTH sides of DOOR...

2. make sure all ceiling fans or any fans are off including any forms of heaters.

3. never when any cooking is done...and do not use ANY non stick cookware.

4. cover any mirrors or windows and glass sliders with curtains ...sheers ..mirrors with sheets.

5. No standing liquid even in cups or glasses...sinks and toilet seats DOWN....i knew of a bird who perched on the edge of a drinking glass fell in and drowned...

6. never while the bird cant be always supervised...

7.no food etc on any kitchen counters.

8. never any craft items out or while doing crafts

9. dont let birds walk on floors unless YOUR sitting right there with them ...

10. look before placing feet on floor from a couch or before sitting...birds are frequently stepped on an sat on and never sleep with a bird out and on you...they have also been squished this way

11. no poisonous plants in house....

http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/non-toxic-for-birds.html

12. no spaces behind bookcases..just put a towel between bookcase and wall.

13. do not open closet doors or cupboards and many birds have flown into these and then closed in...

14. no cleaning while bird is out with any cleaning agents

15. no full ashtrays

16. and ive seen this nitemare first hand...NO FLY STRIPS HANGING ANYWHERE...its virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get a bird UNSTUCK FROM THEM...

good luck in future...once you get to visually making a routine of doing this BEFORE you let out a bird it will always come as second nature HOWEVER,,,we are HUMAN and sometimes FORGET something and EVERYONE needs to learn to do this or ...you will beat yourself up when you forget something...just remember...it happens we can tend to forget we are NOT PERFECT...accidents happen...we can only hope to REMEMBER ALWAYS to check ...double check and ONCE MORE check...

let us know how the bird is

another thing whenever a bird has a traumatic experience its important to always monitor that bird every half hour closely for anything that will be off...and then be sure to get to a vet ASAP..and NEVER administer any form of fluids while a bird is in shock or just gone thru such a experience for several hours till the bird seems to regain a sense of its surroundings again...keep them calm but alert as possible without causing additional stress.

so glad you came to the forum welcome and SOOOOOOO very terribly sorry you didnt get your questioned answered sooner...normally i am around SEVERAL times during the day but today i had a doctor appt... frown

i have a bird...CAPPY who knows just where EVERYTHING is in my fridge ...specifically the fresh veggies and i have to REALLY be aware of him because as soon as i will open that door he is on my shoulder and DEEP PEERING into the fridge and has on occasions SAT ON THE DOOR AND FLY INTO THE FRIDGE waiting for his fresh veggies...this is from a bird who it took 8MONTHS to figure out what veggies were and even try them... laugh

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 03/30/12 07:47 PM.
Re: Budgie fell on oven door :( [Re: kweston] #423308 04/10/12 03:07 AM
MarleyandMe Offline
Friend
Friend
I guess no news on how this little fella went?

Re: Budgie fell on oven door :( [Re: kweston] #423310 04/10/12 04:30 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
nope or on the other one either and it always concerns me when there is no follow up and im sure others as well as the worst has to be assumed at that point and its not easy for any of us let alone the owner...THERE IS NO SHAME when we forget sometimes to do things right but its not the same when we are TOTALLY negligent...there is a difference...i just wish folks when a ACCIDENT happens wouldnt beat themselves up over it ...thats why they are called ACCIDENTS ...we are imperfect as humans can only try always ..hopefully...to apply logic/common sense and if and when unsure about certain things till they can be verified just not do some things.

when a ACCIDENT happens folks this does NOT make you a BAD pet owner...it means YOUR HUMAN...and where it maybe a sad mistake an sometimes costly it tends to be a lesson we dont forget ..like i said ACCIDENTS are very different from being negligent or abusive...please dont beat yourselves up over something thats a accident...

please also when you come to this forum know we all have your BIRDS best interest in our hearts and i usually direct new comers to always take the time to not only read their own threads here but others as well and to indeed visit the forums list tab up top and from there go into the areas of ...general keet chat...and health and medical and take the time to read as many threads as you can possibly read...no library contains as much information as this forum and those threads.

adopt the saying...dont wait till too late...educate!

sincerely wish all of you an your birds a long happy safe and healthy life. smile

Re: Budgie fell on oven door :( [Re: kweston] #423311 04/10/12 12:09 PM
P
pinkeynurse Offline
P
AHHHHH I am so sorry!! Poor little fella whi is now peace. Sending you caring thoughts

Re: Budgie fell on oven door :( [Re: kweston] #423312 04/10/12 03:15 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
well we dont KNOW that yet pinkey ...im only assuming ...as when someone doesnt report back about results this is the feeling i get...we can still hope for the best results too. laugh

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
GARDEN FLOWERS
by ronyb - 02/24/21 12:51 PM
Yoga
by chandkumar3g - 02/04/21 02:58 PM
A Scanner Darkly!!
by EVA21SA - 02/01/21 09:45 AM
Policing
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:28 AM
How many bullets?
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:17 AM
Across the River is FREE
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 09:04 AM
War and Fashion
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 08:54 AM
Origami flower bouquets
by EVA21SA - 01/28/21 09:05 AM
NBA 2K21 unskippable ads"will probably be repaired
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:30 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:29 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site