Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Maniac Parakeet #423080 03/15/12 03:49 AM
P
profdlp Offline OP
OP Offline
P
A little background information to anticipate possible questions:

Over four years ago I got a pair of parakeets. (Holmes and Watson.) They got along great together, were always happy and healthy, and were a great addition to my household. I had upgraded to a larger and better cage several years ago which had plenty of room for more than two parakeets. Not wanting to rock the boat, since the pair I had were doing so well, I did not add more.

Sadly, Holmes passed away shortly after New Year's. At this point, not wanting the remaining bird to be alone, I decided to add three more birds. I waited a couple weeks, then added a new bird, Inspector Lestrade. A few weeks after that I added Professor Moriarty and Irene Adler (The Woman). Are you detecting a theme here? smile

At any rate, Lestrade has turned out to be a first-rate stinker. I have always kept toys and diversions in the cage, including one of those knotted rope thingamabobs with lots of stuff for the parakeets to unravel/shred/destroy. When it gets too beat up I replace it. Holmes and Watson always had fun with this and I enjoyed watching their industrious demolition escapades. The three new birds really enjoy it, too.

Here is the problem:

Lestrade seems to think that every last thing in the cage is there solely to be destroyed. Millet sprays? He dives right in and picks them clean - not eating the millet, just ripping it up. The Oats & Groats I put in as a treat? he'll stick his head in the seed cup and wiggle it around until all the treats are on the floor of the cage. Again, not eating any of it, just messing it up. I put a honey nut roll in today and he had it picked to pieces in ten minutes, the fourth in a row he has ruined like that. He'll chew through a cuttlebone in a day or so, breaking it into little pieces as he goes.

None of the other birds have much of a chance of enjoying any of the stuff I put in there for them. It's gone just like that.

What can I do? confused

(Just for the record, Lestrade has not shown any aggression toward any of the other birds. In fact, he and Watson have become best buddies and they groom each other in a very friendly and gentle way.)

Re: Maniac Parakeet [Re: profdlp] #423081 03/15/12 06:57 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
how old are these birds and i must say you should of quarantined them for 90 days first of all...next you should never have a odd number of keets...and if you dont know the sexes as yet i suggested strongly separation....

this bird is having anxiety and stress ...this is why its doing this quite possible because of there is three not two and i must ask why did you get three...

if there is still a chance to take one back id do that...

i know this is not what you were hoping to hear but you did ask for help

another thing is ...should one be a female the last thing you want in the cage is anything that can be shredded and no mirrors period...

id say lestrade is maybe female...but i dont know without pictures being posted and id bring it back again as i said...or get it its own cage...and then i think things will change...

do you know the age even of these birds??/

welcome aboard to the forum...sometimes we dont get the answers we had hoped for and i think this is the case here....really sorry i couldnt be more encouraging here...but maybe with some more answers from you on sexes do you know...age do you know...do you have the cage left you had before upgrading...???

smile

Re: Maniac Parakeet [Re: profdlp] #423087 03/16/12 05:22 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I would say try putting in some shredder toys or wood toys they can chew and destroy - my birds always love the bird kabobs which are yucca wood, a very soft wood. I get the ones that are hanging discs so no place to consider as a nest. Also put in multiple toys at once. I also put paper on top of the grate on the bottom of my parakeets flight cage, that way when someone gets overly enthusiastic and chews something like a treat apart or throws stuff down the others will hop around on the bottom and play with it. Remember in nature parakeets do a lot of ground feeding.

Re: Maniac Parakeet [Re: profdlp] #423095 03/17/12 12:34 PM
tessboss Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Illusive, I think you misunderstood how many keets he has. He had two and one died so he got three new ones and has four total. So he doesn't have an odd number.

His original bird Watson is now friends with Mr. distructo, Lestrade. It does sound like he has one female though. It is hard to know if they do not post pics.

The destructive bird sounds very stressed to me. He probably introduced all of them too soon and too fast and it is causing stress in the cage. Although he said he added birds over a few weeks, a few at a time.

Re: Maniac Parakeet [Re: profdlp] #423096 03/17/12 10:41 PM
Kathy A Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
Mine have spurts of this destructive thing from time to time. Like they are mad at their toys. Chirp will attack one of his making all kinds of noises and he swings back and forth hanging onto it and a little mad-man. It's cute, but I don't know what causes it, seems to just come out of nowhere. Pips has lately been attacking her wood laddar. Just one corner of it, she never did that 'till just lately. They will both sometimes go at the cuttle bone like crazy...then leave it alone for awhile.
No changes in the house though. Like I said, it seems to come out of nowwhere and they do seem like they have having a good time. May Lestrade is just having more fun than the others?

Re: Maniac Parakeet [Re: Kathy A] #423107 03/19/12 05:56 AM
P
profdlp Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: tessboss
Illusive, I think you misunderstood how many keets he has. He had two and one died so he got three new ones and has four total. So he doesn't have an odd number.

His original bird Watson is now friends with Mr. distructo, Lestrade. It does sound like he has one female though. It is hard to know if they do not post pics.

The destructive bird sounds very stressed to me. He probably introduced all of them too soon and too fast and it is causing stress in the cage. Although he said he added birds over a few weeks, a few at a time.

Right, four birds total.

As for the stress, see below:

Originally Posted By: Kathy A
...they do seem like they have having a good time. May Lestrade is just having more fun than the others?

That is an apt description. He actually seems very friendly and well-adjusted most of the time. Neither does he destroy everything in the cage. (I re-read my initial post and hadn't really made this part clear.) In fact, he generally leaves the things he ought to be destroying (the made-to-be-shred toys) alone most of the time. It's really just the food. I put some more millet in again this morning, as usual, and he immediately started having a jolly time picking the buds off and tossing them around. When he got bored with this he scooted up to one of the many perches in the cage and sang along with the Mozart I had playing.

He's like a lot of kids in their "terrible two's'. Good much of the time, but then...

I don't have a good camera but will see if I can borrow one and get some pictures. Even if it doesn't help, the cops will probably want one of Lestrade to put up down at the Post Office. wink

Thanks for all the replies. smile

Last edited by profdlp; 03/19/12 05:56 AM.
Re: Maniac Parakeet [Re: profdlp] #423108 03/19/12 11:05 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
laugh totally lost it over the Post Office picture ...ok if he is in Post Office ...then mine in on the Sistene Chapel's ceiling. crazy

actually he is quite smart he knows that millet is really not good for him...millet can clog nares ...millet IS fattening millet is often not fresh...and doesn't stay fresh...millet is already in your bird seed so you really do not want to feed more...millet is often dusty as well...and when they shred and have a jolly time...all that also gets into their nares...and then they wont have so much fun... sick

i always recommend fresh green veggies...that you KNOW is fresh and not dusty and will not clog nares...or impact a crop either.

not only that ..its soooo much more healthy for them...just not lettuce or chard...one will has no nutritional value and causes watery poops and the other is LOADED with sodium which a bird can not tolerate, any salty foods is not good for them. smile

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 03/19/12 11:08 AM.
Re: Maniac Parakeet [Re: profdlp] #423109 03/19/12 03:02 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
With 4 birds make sure you have at least 4 food dishes, treat dishes, treats, etc, so they wont really have to "share". Sometimes my boys will happily eat out of the same dish but other times they don't so there are always multiple spots for them. Actually millet is not fattening, the problem is that they love it and will eat it first before other foods and it is not nutritionally balanced in terms of amino acids for the protein. It is true that the spray millet in pet stores is often not fresh but there are some really good organic spray millet options available to use as a treat.

Re: Maniac Parakeet [Re: profdlp] #423111 03/20/12 12:19 AM
MarleyandMe Offline
Friend
Friend
I agree with Illusive on the Millet. There are much better options, if you process up some fresh vegies that will go over a treat with them. And as Cetan said, lots of feed dishes, at least 4 if you have 4 birds, maybe even more. - I have 3 dishes in each of my Keets cage, and my other parrots who share a cage have 4 in there (for two birds) - and I switch up the places that I put them too, as it gives them something to go when they have to go "exploring" to find their food, make it interesting, hide a food cup under a toy, or in an opposite corner to where it normally is....

Re: Maniac Parakeet [Re: profdlp] #423112 03/20/12 03:47 AM
P
profdlp Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Besides the millet, which I buy from a wholesaler in large boxes, they get:

1) Premium birdseed
2) Oats & Groats
3) A fresh orange slice (which they all love)
4) Honey Nut Roll treats (except for lately, since they cost about a buck apiece and my little buddy Lestrade has it in bits within five minutes...)
5) Water (two separate dishes so there is less need for sharing.)
6) Cuttlebone

I've tried other fruit but they never seemed too interested in it. (Banana, apple, etc - even a prune once.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Make sure you have a solid business plan
by allenlu - 09/24/21 05:51 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by allenlu - 09/24/21 02:31 AM
Buy Vilafinil 200mg Online without prescription
by Derick Cook - 09/01/21 11:22 AM
Tamiflu Flu virus Tablets
by Derick Cook - 08/30/21 12:28 PM
Buy Modafinil 200mg Tablets Cash on Delivery
by Derick Cook - 08/27/21 10:41 AM
Tapentadol Extended Release Tablets
by Derick Cook - 08/26/21 11:18 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site