Print Thread
In need of bird advice #422485 02/16/12 12:07 AM
T
Toony Offline OP
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
T
At school and in my family I'm considered as you know the bird lady. Whenever someone needs help with their birds they come to me. Lately, whoever I helped with birds ends with a sad story, I don't know how to help anymore. Ok, so there's this girl in third grade and she's playing with those Invisible UV light pens and I go you know, your budgies might probably be able to see that since they see in UV light. Then she like you know, jumps and goes like I forgot to tell you what happened, it's so sad! Two of my birds died this weekend! And I go like WHAT? What happened! She says, she woke up on Friday and one of the birds were on the floor of the cage with its eyes open and then it closed its eyes and died. The other bird died the next day. She has three birds by the way.
I go into a Big panic. I asked if they were sick and she said they didn't look sick and they were flying happily the day before. I informed her that birds hide their sickness til the very end.
I also was worried Because she didn't quarantine her birds at all even though my warnings. The birds were on all seed diet but occasionally had grapes WITH THE SEEDS! And she goes like don't worry they don't eat the seeds, they just lick them. She also takes her birds outside WITH NO CAGE ( I know I did this before, but she did it OFTEN).
The fact that they both died made me worry, if it was sickness or inhalation of something poisonous, the last bird would be suffering too. She didn't know what Teflon was, or nonstick was so I just gave her a paper for the site to find the nearest avian vet to them. Please help me give more advice to them! Oh and the birds are partially trained, they go in fingers fine.

I'll miss you guys
Re: In need of bird advice [Re: Toony] #422486 02/16/12 02:15 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
its very possible toony even those lights is what caused the issue...i know with my dog the little flashing light for the cable connection to my isp hookup bothered the heck out of him if it was in view...i figured it out very quickly thank goodness and then just covered it so it was not visable when flashing..

thing is toony without extensive questioning as to what took place in those short hours its very difficult to say what it could of been....sorry frown

i dont think it was the grapes though as thats a thing on the safe list of foods to feed i just never offer my bird fruit...however, just licking a seed depending on what type of seed she needs to be told this could be very dangerous.

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 02/16/12 02:17 AM.
Re: In need of bird advice [Re: Toony] #422494 02/16/12 03:37 AM
MarleyandMe Offline
Friend
Friend
Some seeds are dangerous in large quantities - like apple seeds which are said to contain cyanide? I think it is - anyway it's best to just avoid seeds from fruit altogether if you can.

Parakeets are not big fruit eaters so I would encourage them to feed more vegies rather than fruit.

As Illusive said, it may have been the lights? I'm not clued up enough to know an answer to that...Poor little babies frown Also warn them about sprays/perfumes etc. Maybe she was spraying some fragrance around them? Or wearing a strong smell perfume near them?

Re: In need of bird advice [Re: Toony] #422499 02/16/12 04:54 AM
T
Toony Offline OP
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
T
Thanks for your advice, im just really worried about the last bird. I totally forgot about perfumes being dangerous too! I'll mention that to her. Oh and I didnt really mean UV light, its a pen that writes in invisible ink and in order to see the writing you need to shine a flashlight that has UV light in it on the paper. I just hope that this one doesnt end in disaster like the other ones. ( i gave some people training tips for their birds, and their birds took to it and then they got very excited but then their parents got worried that they wouldnt be able to take care of the birds because they would be at school all day and they thought that they would get too excited in training birds and neglect school work, so they gave their birds away).

I'll miss you guys
Re: In need of bird advice [Re: Toony] #422501 02/16/12 05:03 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
well i remember another young lady who went thru that also...and her work at school etc suffered to ...and her parents made her do the same...you know who i mean wink

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Growing my own greens for my birds question
by LA-Birds - 09/24/21 10:17 PM
Make sure you have a solid business plan
by allenlu - 09/24/21 05:51 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by allenlu - 09/24/21 02:31 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site