Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Feather picking #422202 02/07/12 10:52 AM
wise Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
I read from a local forum in my place that there's a case of feather picking of a keet here. I rarely heard budgies have this kind of problem. Does anyone hv this kind of experience for budgies?

Re: Feather picking [Re: wise] #422203 02/07/12 01:35 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
feather picking in any bird is generally a combination of a couple of things...one is poor diet the other is stress...also throw on top of that air is to dry... smile without real details is this feather plucking or picking like when a bird gets pin feathers...or is it picking because of mites or maybe a small unseen injury...these are other things to take into consideration and not much information is given.... smile

is the bird nearly nakid...where is it picking and is it a female as sometimes females will pluck a small area of their feathers if they are going to nest and in breeding mode...

so without a lot more information its too hard to determine what the real issue is here wise.. frown

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 02/07/12 01:36 PM.
Re: Feather picking [Re: wise] #422205 02/07/12 03:20 PM
wise Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
There r some info:
1. The keet was bought 2 weeks ago.
2. He thinks the keet is a boy becoz his cere is slightly blue, but he's still young, so the sex is not confirmed.
3. The keet only picks the feathers at his back.
4. The keet vomited once several days ago.

Re: Feather picking [Re: wise] #422208 02/07/12 05:06 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
well if its vomiting and it must be seeing how its a baby they best get it to a vet...right away...is this over there wise cuz if it is tell them to immediately switch to bottled pure spring water as bebee had to do and they must make sure their cage is powder coated...not bare metal wire or here we go with maybe the start of more metal toxic poisoning. crazy from what i understand its very hard to find cages there with powder coating..thats why bebee special ordered hers from the states...

but no keet that young will be regurging so it is indeed vomiting and needs a vet asap...but for now get that water switched to pure bottled spring water... smile...again bebee found that out in a heartbeat...

and where on its back is it picking ...as at the base of the tail thats not picking there is a gland there they go to that gathers a oil substance that they pick up with their beak then pull through their feathers to groom the feathers.

and your right a baby will still have all its stripes going right down to the cere an blue cere at that age means nothing....

in the meantime keep the keet out of any drafts also ...warm or cold....be careful of any bird toys made in china due to lead paint they use there.

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 02/07/12 05:14 PM.
Re: Feather picking [Re: wise] #422223 02/08/12 04:27 AM
wise Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Thank you illusive, I'll pass him these messages. I think his keet is really feather picking becoz he said he can see his skin of his back.

Re: Feather picking [Re: wise] #422224 02/08/12 05:51 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
you didnt say ...is this person from china also...??? if so make sure he knows about the cage and the water as well and toys with lead paint...im sorry but thats how it is...

frown and that bird should be going to a vet which you also dont have much to speak of over there from my understanding and what ive seen / heard.

Re: Feather picking [Re: wise] #422230 02/08/12 03:00 PM
wise Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Yes, i passed him the message already. Thank you very much.

Re: Feather picking [Re: wise] #422232 02/08/12 05:53 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
okies your welcome and i wish well for the bird of course...

Re: Feather picking [Re: wise] #422327 02/10/12 04:32 AM
wise Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
He has uploaded his keet's photo.....the keet looks so poor frown He said he has changed to bottled water and remove all the toys. The keet didn't pluck his feather yesterday after he gave him a bath, so he said it's a bit strange.

Re: Feather picking [Re: wise] #422334 02/10/12 07:32 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
wow this bird is poorly for sure...there is products with aloe vera i them to mist an try to bring some comfort...also food high in VIT A i would start to make sure this bird gets...in particular sweet potatoe and beet leaves and some of this food can be bought in infant baby foods in a jar and then very very lightly coat the seed with it so when the bird does get the seed it also gets the vitamin A thru the baby food...this looks very much like vitamin deficiency from lack of decent foods for one...the cage looks ok with powder coating to the wire so thats good...

but something is also causing this bird some serious stress...

and without knowing the family and who is in charge of overseeing the keets needs i can not guess ...if its children and yelling from adults or kids...to much commontion around the cage ...other pets which maybe tormenting the bird but something sure is ...

if that bird is in a bathroom that is not exactly the place for a bird either...too many chemicals are kept and used in a bathroom...some normal interaction is needed ...do they ever give this bird any time to interact with it...and do they know the proper way to do that...????

all these things need to be taken into account...a daily light mist where it is warm and no drafts might help to soothe its skin too if especially it has some aloe in the water...as when this birds feathers even begin to come back it will be a extreme irratation to the bird which will generate even more picking...he/she might need for quite a while to have a collar put on it...to help stop that..but lawd i hate to see that...when other things can be done...

keep on the bottle water...even when spraying the bird...go to feeding baby food ...what i mentioned ...sweet potatoe ...carrot...beet leaf...it will need to changed out each day so it doesnt spoil on the seeds...and cups thoroughly washed after each feeding but thats nothing...and at first of course the bird may not show a interest in the baby food...but it will take several days and it will then...as long as they are persistent...and again dont make the seed swim in the baby food only very lightly enough to coat the seed with it...and id say small covering also of beet powder if beet baby food can not be found.

sigh...the bird needs quiet time also and it needs to be covered each nite with a nite light and i wonder if they do that as well..

in the meantime this bird should not be in any drafts at all ...warm or cold...for certain.

soooo many things ...good luck ...with all this.. frown

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 02/10/12 07:34 AM.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site