Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thoughts for Marley please :( #421827 02/02/12 04:29 AM
MarleyandMe Offline OP
Friend
OP Offline
Friend
I woke up this morning to find Marley on the floor of her cage, laying on her side. She couldn't stand and was having respitory distress. I have rushed her to the vet (thank god we now have an Avian vet) and at last report she was stable, but they still are not totally sure what has caused it. When we first got there he didn't think she would last the hour, but she has fought and held on....

She hasn't been out of her cage unsupervised in the past 3 days, hasn't eaten anything new and was in super fine health until this happened....I'm just so stressed, went to see her on my lunch break and she looks awful frown

Going to see here again when I finish work soon.

Re: Thoughts for Marley please :( [Re: MarleyandMe] #421829 02/02/12 07:27 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
well quite often we think they are in super fine health as we have mentioned so many time they are wonderful at hiding their illness..

did she maybe have a nite fright where she may have banged into something in the cage that juts out an have some internal injury...perches
that dont go all the way across the cage maybe or something hanging that might have for a bit choked her in a nite fright???

what about toxins ...did anyone use anything lately with chemicals near her...

check her food to make sure no mold in it altho sometimes you cant see mold...what fresh veggies did you feed lately that might not have been rinsed thoroughly and what do you rinse them with...acv is what most of us use and then rinse afterwards but again i have my doubts about even acv being strong enough against some chemicals...

i dont really know what to say...was she getting plenty of protein in her diet for that breed....did they do any fecal test or culture swabs...if she is that weak they cant really do blood test...

oh gawd kiddo my heart goes out to you and im just throwing out things here for you to consider ...because with nothing reported its difficult to say anything...except this...

she is in our prayers...you know this...sending marley gentle sweet kisses from her grammie...

and hugs to marley's momma frown

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 02/02/12 07:30 AM.
Re: Thoughts for Marley please :( [Re: MarleyandMe] #421835 02/02/12 07:55 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Dear MarleyandMe -

It is fantastic that you were all prepared with an avian vet and were able to get Marley to help as quickly as possible. It sounds like your fast actions saved your beloved one's life. Hopefully the vets will figure out what happened and get the situation stabilized.

It could of course be a wide range of issues. With it being winter now I would think about any household toxins. My sister lost her two keets on the same day because her boyfriend used a countertop grill indoors and the fumes overwhelmed her keets. So sometimes something that seems safe can affect a keet more quickly than we would think. If the vets don't find anything physical, I'd give thought to anything at all you might have used in the home in the past days. I know we've had all our windows closed here, which means anything we put into the air is that much more "powerful".

Let us know how it goes!

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Thoughts for Marley please :( [Re: MarleyandMe] #421836 02/02/12 09:07 AM
MarleyandMe Offline OP
Friend
OP Offline
Friend
Thank you both. They did do blood work Illusive hun. They said she has respiratory infection, they called it acute aspergilosas (sorry if I spelt that wrong). She is on antiobiotics and they have tube fed her this afternoon. Her breathing is still very touch and go and the Vet said it's too soon to tell how she'll go but if she survives the night her chances will be much better.

After going through her diet and living conditions (I'm very clean with them, fresh food/water daily and cages get a scrub down every weekend with fresh water and acv. I use organic foods for all my birds and rinse everything) he said Stress might be the cause. I told them how I seperated them due to Marley looking like she wanted to breed (he agreed with this decision) but he said the stress of it may have made her susceptible to this. I told him how she seemed fine, and how Pheonix was the one who showed signs of stress but as you said Illusive, he said birds hide these kinds of things well.

Anyway...keep her in your thoughts, the next 12 hours will tell us a lot....I will call in to see her before work tomorrow and keep everything crossed she's still alive and doing better...She was in a little incubator type housing at the Vets frown She looked like this tiny little ICU baby frown

Lisa, we are in Summer here in Australia...so our home is often open to let the cooler breeze in. The other thing he mentioned is that we are currently going through an awful tropical rainfall, 3 days of heavy steady rain and flooding in our area - he said perhaps the extra moisture in the air and the fact that the temperature has dropped about 10 degrees celcius literally overnight may have contributed too..

Keep everything crossed for my sweet girl please!

Re: Thoughts for Marley please :( [Re: MarleyandMe] #421839 02/02/12 09:36 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Dear MarleyandMe -

I'm so glad that they figured out what it is and they have a plan to handle it. That is always the first hurdle!

It's great that they are taking all steps to make Marley better - I'm sure everything will work out fine now that they have it narrowed down.

I apologize about the winter comment! I am so used to it being winter here, I forget sometimes that other parts of the world are not in winter smile

I will keep her in my thoughts!

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Thoughts for Marley please :( [Re: MarleyandMe] #421844 02/02/12 10:28 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
oh geesh kiddo ...im sure your doing your research on aspergillosis...so i wont go posting any sites that explain it all im sure your on top of it...none of these diseases are things you ever think could happen but yes dampness from all the rain could very well have contributed...as most times mold and dampness or decaying matter are the things this form of disease loves to thrive in...

should marley recover i trust they mentioned there maybe a relapse and she will be on medication for awhile ...ill just let them all explain that ...

and lawdy after all we have been thru already with her hey...for sure i know she is fighting with all she has ...but geesh so young and been thru so much she is a special treasure...

ok want you to know i didnt forget her in my prayers tonight..in fact as usualy i cant sleep to much in my pea brain thats getting all scrambled in there and making too much noise for that to happen but im going to try again now...

hope you manage some sleep gal...its all gonna be up to how well marley can fight thru this...wont lie to you...its a nasty thing...but if any bird can make it ...its marley...

her mommy is pretty tough also...i remember what you had to fight which was your own aspergillosis kind of thing...

on my mind ...in my heart...and prayers i remain ever so hopeful...illusive

Re: Thoughts for Marley please :( [Re: MarleyandMe] #421872 02/02/12 05:23 PM
Kathy A Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
MarleyandMe...You must be so stressed out. I don't know anything to offer other that I will be thinking of your precious baby and hope she gets better soon.

Pips was sick with some sort of resperatory thing after I'd had her only a few days...so I didn't really even know her yet I was desparate with worry.

Hang in there.

Re: Thoughts for Marley please :( [Re: MarleyandMe] #421877 02/02/12 06:30 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
waiting to hear about lil marley and hope its better news....

Re: Thoughts for Marley please :( [Re: MarleyandMe] #421880 02/02/12 07:33 PM
P
preciousbaby Offline
Friend
Friend
P
I know how much you love Marley. My prayers are with Marley and your family!

Last edited by preciousbaby; 02/02/12 07:34 PM.

Re: Thoughts for Marley please :( [Re: MarleyandMe] #421883 02/02/12 11:00 PM
MarleyandMe Offline OP
Friend
OP Offline
Friend
Thank you all

Marley made it throught the night *happy dance*
She's not out of the woods yet, but the Vet said now he has a lot more hope for her recovery. She had some food this morning on her own, it was a special mix thing (not seed) can't remember what he called it...anyway she ate a small amount and then they topped her up. She isn't as badly dehydrated as she was and she is now sitting up right. She just looks so much brighter!! Even called out to me, although it sounded very hoarse which was weird but Vet said that's normal.

I hated calling this morning, I was preparing myself for bad news, but as soon as I spoke to the Vet I could hear the smile on his face. When I got there to see her I just welled right up when I saw how much better she was.

She's still wobbly and she will stay at the Vets atleast another 24 hours as they want to get her strength up more before home. and the Vet said we will have to continue treatment for a while now....but I'm happy smile

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Growing my own greens for my birds question
by LA-Birds - 09/24/21 10:17 PM
Make sure you have a solid business plan
by allenlu - 09/24/21 05:51 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by allenlu - 09/24/21 02:31 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site