Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How do I breed? [Re: aka] #420330 11/23/11 12:56 AM
A
aka Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Okay, so I also wanted to know that the genetic factors in recessive blue genes and recessive green genes. What kind of babies am I going to have? yellow faced???

Last edited by aka; 11/23/11 12:57 AM.
Re: How do I breed? [Re: aka] #420337 11/23/11 01:29 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
it should be so simple genetics are extremely complicated no way to know without complete genetic history...

Re: How do I breed? [Re: aka] #420345 11/23/11 06:29 PM
A
aka Offline OP
OP Offline
A
okay so i looked at the links for the food, and about the spices, wouldn't some be too strong for the parakeets? Like the crushed red pepper??? how much could I add to their food bowl? and should I have more than one food bowl out especially since they are going to breed in a couple months? oh, lol and my male looks EXACTLY like your male, Illusive Fantasy.

Last edited by aka; 11/23/11 06:31 PM.
Re: How do I breed? [Re: aka] #420347 11/23/11 06:37 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
no about the chili red pepper seeds they are fine...and they actually love them and being high in vit A this is a good thing...

where you have two birds id always have more than one food cup available as well so there isnt territorial issues over a single food cup...

nothing mentioned in the good food thread is harmful...or too strong...and easiest way to always have the same amt in a food cup of these things is to mix up a batch with those things in it...figuring to say a reg size drinking glassful of seed 1 tablespoon of your herbs/spice that you would want to add...mix well and put in food cups.

and im really sorry but myself personally i can not advocate breeding... frown

the most ill do is say good luck and be sure as ive mentioned you have two avian vets available... smile a second in case the first is not available as there is never time to be wasted in getting help with a hen in trouble you dont have days to mess with trying to get help ...it has to be immediate to save the bird which also means a HEFTY amt of money to cover the expense.

others with their knowledge can decide to help you with this and their input...as some of us have already given our own personal input...

where you have recently lost a keet i just dont understand why you would risk that again...

best of luck

smile

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 11/23/11 07:12 PM.
Re: How do I breed? [Re: aka] #420352 11/24/11 02:15 AM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Originally Posted By: aka
alright. but now I am very confused! My vet said it was a fine diet... so I will look at the link. But my birds won't eat hardly anything else!!!!!!!

If your vet said just seeds is a fine diet...you need to be looking for another vet. It is so NOT a healthy diet.

Believe me, if you put together the things in that Good food thread, your birds won't only eat it..they will eat it with gusto and love it. You'll be surprised how much healthier and happier they will be on a good diet. It will show in their feather condition and their activity level.

I too can not condone breeding. I think it's crazy to put them at risk.
WHY do you want to breed them so badly?
If they are not eating anything but seed, they are NOT ready for egg laying and raising babies. It will almost certainly take too much toll on the females. IF you insist on breeding at the very least wait until they have been in a good diet for a loong time first. Research research research beforehand. You obviously have a lot to learn before taking the step in to breeding.

What would you do if one of your females became eggbound?
Can you answer that question?

Re: How do I breed? [Re: aka] #420359 11/24/11 06:33 PM
A
aka Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hey, I am very devoted to my birds and if it takes another year and a better diet then I can wait. I don't mean to sound heartless... and I really don't want my birds going through all that pain. I just wanted to own cute little babies- they are sooo adorable! And as for the egg binding, I'm not sure... it really scares me. Should I tell 2 vets to be ready for me at any time during the breeding process, then?

Re: How do I breed? [Re: aka] #420360 11/24/11 06:49 PM
A
aka Offline OP
OP Offline
A
oh yeah, and this is the most trusted avian vet in the city that your talking about... she spent 4 years in avian vet school. She is somebody I would trust. What exactly do you mean that I should look for another vet??? I'm sorry, I'm just confused as to why parakeets can't have one solid diet, like many animals. Sure, nobody can live off of seed alone, but there are many things added into the seed, making it full of minerals and vitamins. What do all of the spices contain??? oh, and thanks Illusive!!! laugh

Last edited by aka; 11/24/11 06:52 PM.
Re: How do I breed? [Re: aka] #420362 11/24/11 10:46 PM
ahall83 Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
The stuff that you are talking about being added to the seed is on the hull of the seed whick our birds to not eat therefore does nothing. As far as most animals eating only one food. Really only cats, dogs and fish do. And not all that food is created equal. If you read the ingrediants there is some of everything thats is benificial. Meats, veggies and grains. There is a big differance between that and an all seed diet fir birds. Hope that helps

Re: How do I breed? [Re: aka] #420366 11/25/11 05:14 PM
A
aka Offline OP
OP Offline
A
yes, that is so true. And my female looks just like yours, ahall83 smile Okay but should I start them on this diet right away? I'm going to go shopping soon, and so far, i'm just getting spices, and a few other things that Illusive suggested. Anything else???

Re: How do I breed? [Re: aka] #420585 11/30/11 08:03 PM
C
chkinut Offline
C
wow, i'm a new member here and i too don't understand why breeding is so very dangerous. i do however, understand about taking good care of your birds with a great diet and knowing what will become of the babies. i want to breed too, but only once or twice. i plan on keeping the babies myself if i can't find good homes. i plan on keeping some anyway. i see how hard it is to have tame pets that you buy from the petstore. i would love to give the babies a few minutes of handling each day so they will be tame...while mom and dad still care for them. i am also prepared to handfeed as a last resort. i have an incubator an brooder if needed as a last resort as well. i would love to have some handtamed babies who are not afraid of people. i've been through the same thing with chickens....i've hatched them and handled them as babies and they make wonderful pets if given lots of love from the time they're babies. i also understand parakeets are NOT chickens...but i do know that if a baby keet is given alot of love and attention, they will make a wonderful, cuddly pet for someone or myself. good luck aka!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Parakeet kicking other one
by Lausack - 08/31/20 10:36 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site