Print Thread
I'm not sure what's wrong... #419531 10/15/11 02:40 AM
B
brittany98 Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
B
Hi guys. I'm not sure if anyone remembers me, because I haven't been here for a few years. But I am counting on you guys to help me with my bird.

Okay, starting with background information.
Pete, when we got him, looked like an average little guy. He was cute, and adorable, but we found out real quick he hated to be held or cuddled. It was okay with us, though we were disappointed. After a couple weeks, we noticed that when Pete got too excited, or when he'd get too hot, he'd wheeze. Like horrible coughing. It scared the heck out of us and we didn't know what to do, except coo and say 'shh'. So this went on for a few years and it happened the most like two years ago, and started to slowly even out.
Now, we didn't realize this until later, that Pete completely stopped wheezing. I'm positive I haven't woken up in the middle of the night from it, or come home from school and heard that dreadful noise, in months. Months. But as I said, I didn't notice before because I've been busy with school and work over the past year and a half.
Okay, now here's the dilemma. Pete has gone through an entire personality change. He's completely different now! He is always fluffy, always got his feathers fluffed up and adorable now, no matter what he's doing. Fighting, eating, sleeping, running, flying. He's fluffy. He's an english budgie so you can just imagine how fat and cute he looks. But see, he lets us hold him now. Like I can go up to him and he'll hop right onto my hand and let me scratch his head. And he'll make the cutest little purring noises and he falls asleep and God it's the cutest thing!
But I am so scared that Pete is sick, and this is a side effect and that he's gonna... ugh I can't think about it. I'm really worried about him. It happened overnight, this personality change. And I don't think it's a good thing. Though this is a side of Pete that I will definitely miss.
So please please please tell me what might be wrong with him. I don't know what I'm gonna do. And please give me long replies!! I think I might lose my mind if the only things I hear are "Take him to the vet" because right now that's not an option.
Thank you guys!

Re: I'm not sure what's wrong... [Re: brittany98] #419532 10/15/11 03:47 AM
C
Connor G Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
C
I'm sorry but Brittany but that may be the only thing you can do. There is a very good chance he IS sick and you should get it checked out asap. Pete will be in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck and I hope he gets better soon.

Re: I'm not sure what's wrong... [Re: brittany98] #419533 10/15/11 04:04 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
english budgies are suppose to be fluffy and happy thats the way that specific species of keet is suppose to be ..and he may have got better becuz of better living conditions or something you did in diet to make it better or maybe not exposed to smoke or scents or cleaners, scented candles air fresheners, hair spray and such could be many reasons he got better due to unaware changes in his life you did...dont worry about his fluffiness but...

english budgies need more protein in their diet to accomodate all that featheriness and when they go into moult than your average feathery friend...there is 14 different species of keets did you know this...and a one style diet does not fit all...study what english keets should have in their diets but for sure ill tell you ...if you want to keep him in good health and feathers and not drain him in vital protein levels when he moults you absolutely need to up the protein in his diet over the avg keet diet of say the american budgie like most of ours...especially during major moults...when they start to lose wing flights and tail feathers..

welcome back too btw. smile

oh yah came back to edit ...if a bird doesnt feel well stands to reason it will be grumpy and act as you explained but now he is better and happy and feeling full of himself so now he is lovey...also english budgies are bigger than american budgies too supposedly weighing in from 45 to 55 grams...so a reg vet check when you can to know a base weight at the very least would also be good and that wouldnt cost much at all.

brittany do you have any pictures you could upload would love to see him and if this time isnt a option to go to a vet i STRONGLY recommend saving money to put aside just for this purpose as we alllll know at some point in time we will alllll need a vet...so start now to do that and figure a figure of $500 for any cultures or blood work or meds and exam that would be needed. Its far better than having to be helpless and watch your friend suffer badly because you didnt plan for that day...and it will come.

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 10/15/11 05:08 AM.
Re: I'm not sure what's wrong... [Re: brittany98] #419534 10/15/11 06:10 PM
B
brittany98 Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
B
So overnight, things got worse. Pete has been on the bottom of his cage all day, panting. He comes out just to sit on the tv because it's really warm. He also can't stand up very well, or walk, and he basically just stumbles everywhere. If he flies, because he thinks he's strong enough, he loses altitude real fast. Almost to the point where he basically crash lands. We put him in the cage after that, but it felt wrong to lock him up while he's sick so we just let him stay on the tv. He hasn't moved since, he's just panting with his eyes closed. But he doesn't look like he's in any kind of pain, but I am so scared. I just want to know if he'll get better, or if this is it.

Re: I'm not sure what's wrong... [Re: brittany98] #419535 10/15/11 08:01 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
this is clearly a respiratory distress sign many respiratory ailments are from a lack of VIT A and B 1 specifically more A...for respiratory and the B1 which can affect mobility of your bird ...there maybe also other unknown underlying reasons also for this.,,and without a full work up and cultures one can only guess on it all ..except this one...you dont need to guess your bird is in serious distress and needs immediate medical attention.

these things showing means it needs immediate avian vet assistance....and a complete workup or yes it will not improve and get worse...sorry...

if the bird is seeking warmth place a heating pad on low UNDER HALF its cage not in it and cover the cage ...place food and a very small and shallow bowl of water in it with some water soluble vitamins but keep in mind the water would need to be changed with the vitamins again added each time every three hours as it loses it potency very quickly...

your bird does not sound as if it has a chance of recovery as i misunderstood above what you said and it sounded as if your bird did recovery over a course of time...you dont want to hear you need a avian vet but thats EXACTLY what you do need and ASAP

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 10/15/11 11:00 PM.
Re: I'm not sure what's wrong... [Re: brittany98] #419542 10/16/11 04:54 AM
MarleyandMe Offline
Friend
Friend
Oh gosh frown I agree completely with Illusive. I know it's not what you want to hear, but if we were at home struggling to breathe, hospital would be our first choice. I think it's the same with this little guy - it doesn't sound like he is going to make it without medical help.

good luck xo

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
FREE! Science Fiction Sweet Romance
by AlyssakPatterson - 06/15/21 11:25 AM
Dreaming of Losing a Pet
by Jane Pierce - 06/01/21 05:08 AM
nike kyrie 5 en soldes
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:53 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:49 AM
adidas stan smith dames lichtblauw
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:47 AM
Dieser Ring aus Sterlingsilber eignet
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site