Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Molt or Plucking? #417314 09/02/11 02:36 AM
Jessica Cole Offline OP
Great Friend
OP Offline
Great Friend
In my last update, I mentioned that Echo, my goffin's cockatoo, was going through a molt and that new feathers were beginning to grow in. Not on her wings or tail feathers, but on her chest! When Echo was sick, and picking herself, I put silvadine ointment on the wound, leaving her chest feathers looking rough, so I thought it was natural that new feathers would begin to take over.

I am a bit alarmed, because I've noticed Echo grabbing onto her new pin feathers and taken extremes to pull them out! She doesn't do this to all of them, but only a few. I wondered if a few of them hurt her? And I was wondering what I could do to make it less painful for her? Other than plucking out her pin feathers, none of the other feathers on the floor of her cage look barbed or anything! And, here attitude hasn't changed. She seems happy and normal! When Echo was sick before, she was very stand-offish and didn't take any interest in sitting with me. All she wanted to do was pick!

I will put pictures up if needed!

I'm going to take her to the vet soon too.

Echo also gets a balanced diet, especially since she's molting! Lots of veggies - peas, carrots, corn, green beans! She also takes vitamin A supplement and she really enjoys drinking Simply Orange juice, which isn't from concetrate. Also for nuts - sunflower seeds, brazil nuts, peanuts, etc. - all occasional treats that she usually gets before bed time! laugh Kind of like a scoop of ice cream for us before bed, except I give her a nut!

It would be helpful to know what you all think! It seems as if I'll never be an experience bird owner. There's always new questions to ask!

Re: Molt or Plucking? [Re: Jessica Cole] #417316 09/02/11 02:44 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
yes you will you will end up very experienced in the field of feather plucking jess lol

just get to a vet but there is something upsetting her ...a change in surrounding who is around..routine maybe ...something...

a vet is always your best bet.

Re: Molt or Plucking? [Re: Jessica Cole] #417319 09/02/11 03:02 AM
Jessica Cole Offline OP
Great Friend
OP Offline
Great Friend
The only thing I can think of that has changed is our new geo-thermal system that we just got! There is more air flow in the house, but it helps keep the house at a constant temperature of 78 degrees...perhaps that's it...there's an air vent right by her cage...not directly under it, but close enough to give off a draft...hmmm...I will take her to vet just to rule out illness and move the cage...why did I not think of this before?!

Lol! You're right! Feather-picking...I'll be an expert!

Re: Molt or Plucking? [Re: Jessica Cole] #417322 09/02/11 03:14 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
always look for environmental changes to things when a bird displays sudden upsets first...and become a house detective...

gawd im really frustrated at the lag in here to try to post...ande then the lag of post time once you have even ...sigh

Re: Molt or Plucking? [Re: Jessica Cole] #417769 09/10/11 06:10 PM
Jessica Cole Offline OP
Great Friend
OP Offline
Great Friend
I took Echo to the vet yesterday. Everything internally is fine and dandy. The day before yesterday and yesterday she hasn't picked herself once. She seems to be letting her feathers grow in now. Rearranging her cage seemed to help a lot! And, I've been misting her often, which she loves! The vet explained to me that cockatoos, for reasons unknown, kind of get a high when they pluck and it releases some sort of chemical that feels good to them. I asked if it was sexual, but she said it wasn't. She has a male umbrella cockatoo patient that does the same thing during a moult, plucks his pin feathers, and then he stops and lets them all grow in. I guess it's kind of like a high. My vet said that cockatoos are notorious for plucking and she said I should just watch Echo to make sure things don't get worse. Echo isn't mutilating, so that's good and she doesn't show any interest in mutilating herself. I haven't seen her pick once today! Awesome! My vet also said that Echo's skin looks nice and healthy. Echo also got her nails trimmed. Yay! No more scratches on my arms!

All in all, things look great! Poor little bird is sleeping right now. smile I'm such a worry wart sometimes! I like the sense of relief when everything's okay, though!

Re: Molt or Plucking? [Re: Jessica Cole] #417770 09/10/11 06:16 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
ive never known cockatoos to be ....notorious as mentioned to plucking...sorry...i find it is usually due to some other issues...psycological...

get some

http://forums.avianavenue.com/holistic-avenue/15030-aloe-detox-formula-dosage.html

and NEKTON

http://www.arcatapet.com/nekton/nekton-b-komplex.pdf

mix a amt of the aloe into a mister bottle and spray thoroughly the birds entire body of feathers.

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 09/10/11 06:22 PM.
Re: Molt or Plucking? [Re: Jessica Cole] #417771 09/10/11 06:21 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
http://www.arcatapet.com/nekton/nekton-b-komplex.pdf

you can probably find this in smaller amts so its cheaper...

Re: Molt or Plucking? [Re: Jessica Cole] #417778 09/10/11 07:11 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Great to hear she is doing better Jess, and she has stopped messing with her new feathers.

I think tho that I would go with a aloe gel rather than the aloe detox. Maybe not so good to be spraying all the ingredients/herbs that are in the detox formula on her feathers?
Aloe gel mixed with water would probably feel really good. Soothes and conditions. Sprayed on or added to bath water. It's actually beneficial for them to eat or drink too.

I'd leave the detox formula more as a means to flush the system of toxins if needed.

Re: Molt or Plucking? [Re: Jessica Cole] #417781 09/10/11 07:18 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
well post that aloe gell link geeeeeesh lol...so i can add IT also to my fav's giggle

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 09/10/11 07:18 PM.
Re: Molt or Plucking? [Re: Jessica Cole] #417782 09/10/11 07:25 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
I don't have a gel link. It's easy enough to find thru google. Also sold in most health food stores and even drugstores.
Just 100% aloe vera gel

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Dreaming of Losing a Pet
by Jane Pierce - 06/01/21 05:08 AM
nike kyrie 5 en soldes
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:53 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:49 AM
adidas stan smith dames lichtblauw
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:47 AM
Dieser Ring aus Sterlingsilber eignet
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site