Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Frosty's adventure #41669 02/12/06 03:35 AM
Frosty*Sonny*Cloud Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
I did something I probably shouldn't have today, you see, I've been losing a great deal of patience and I well, hate myself for saying this but, am becoming bored with the training lessons, I wish I wasn't but I am....So today...I decided to let Frosty out, He has been doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over again every single day when I do the sessions, he's always afraid for my hand to approach him, he will only approach my hand, but he will hop onto my hand when he feels necessary,
I took his cage into my bathroom, put a towel over any mirror, closed drawers, ect. and made it bird worthy. Then I did the normal average training lesson, as I did the part where I put bird feed into my hand and Frosty hopped on, I peristantly tried many times to slowly pull my hand out of the cage with Frosty on.

Anyways, when I finally got him out, he seemed sort of bewildered! He didn't really fly around the room at all, he basically hopped onto the top of his cage and just moved around up there while staring down at the paper. He was though, not as afraid of my hand with bird feed in it outside of the cage, I could put my hand near him and he would hop on! He was afraid of his food bowl, which was unusual because inside of the cage he is ecstatic over it!! He never got off his cage, it was either he was on the top of the cage looking down at the bottom of his cage, or eating seed out of my palm.
This probably wasn't good, but I knew that I would be able to get him back inside the cage because he would jump onto his food bowl by himself anyways. I thought, maybe, that outside of the cage he would feel more room to run away and would feel more secure, thus my hand wouldn't feel so scary, and in a way, it sort of was. I'm planning on doing this again, unless someone has a humongous objection towards it, I need to hear it if you do! laugh Do you think I was wrong to do that? It's just that I'm getting bored of the training session and I am afraid of becoming bored of Frosty! Which would be my worst nightmare!!!!! frown frown frown

This was EXTREMELY long, do if you didn't want to read the whole thing here is a summary,
Let Frosty out of cage in safe room, not trained yet but knew of way to get him back into cage. Both me and him learned a lot, and was easier to train outside. Put him back. Wrong or Right?:End Summary:
This experience also gave me the chance to be closer to Frosty and not have the cage bars in between.

Cloud and Sonny and Frosty(RIP)

Snow glistens upon the open field, I see your shape, I hear your chirp, and happiness fills my soul, knowing how happy you must be, to be away from me....RIP Frosty! I'll love you forever and for always!
Re: Frosty's adventure #41670 02/12/06 03:30 PM
icequeen50 Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I see nothing wrong with what you did. This might get frosty motivated to move along. He's gonna be a little nervous after all he came out in unfamilar territory, and he handled it pretty well. Sometimes you just have to exspriment to find what works for you and frosty. He just a little afraid to take that leap in life. Just try and not get to frustrated, You love him and he loves you. Remember unconditionally, and that means exceptance for who you both are. Keep trying and it will happen.

Re: Frosty's adventure #41671 02/12/06 05:17 PM
Cully's Mom Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Sounds like you did fine. When Cully and I reached a point I didn't feel we were progressing any further with the hand training, I started taking her to the bathroom as well. I even got to the point I would take in a pillow and lay on the floor (my bathroom is carpeted) and Cully would crawl all over me, chew on my clothes, etc.

After that I bird proofed a bedroom and now that's where I let her out.

Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die!
Re: Frosty's adventure #41672 02/12/06 06:05 PM
C
Capt. Haddock Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Michael:

I accidentally let my new bird Habibi out once, and she fluttered around all over the place, bumped into some furniture and got really frightened. But then I was able to get him onto my finger very easily because my finger was relatively less scary than everything else out there, so it worked for the best. She readily perched on my finger outside the cage after that.

If you're still getting nowhere with the in-cage training, then maybe the out of cage training might be just the thing. Keep at it and see what happens.

Re: Frosty's adventure #41673 02/12/06 07:08 PM
Cristina Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
You did what's best for you and Frosty. The same thing happened with Chevy. He would ignore me when he was in his cage but when he flew to the ground once he came running to my finger for me to pick him ip. This improved our in cage training also.

This is a sign that Frosty is able to trust you in unfamiliar places and that's a huge step. If it's working for you then I would continue doing this.

"You never stop loving someone, you just learn to live without them"
Re: Frosty's adventure #41674 02/12/06 09:55 PM
Polly Offline
Friend
Friend
Great job! I agree with everyone else that it was just fine for you to do that. Frosty will become more accustom to you, and you and him will create a "trust"-as well as love- bond.

I am still thinking about letting Bruce into the bathroom. Although I've only had him about 4 days..Should I do this? He's extremely comfortable around people..I'm just worried he'll fly arond madly and hurt himself..

(Back to the origianl subject)

You're doing fantasic with Frosty! Can't wait ot hear more updates! wink

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
Re: Frosty's adventure #41675 02/12/06 10:21 PM
Alyssa Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I did this with Cosmo a few times in the beginning and he would crawl all over me but eventually it wasnt a new place anymore and he would start running from me again. So one day I bought him some pellets (this had nothing to do with training at first) and he wouldn't eat them because they were too hard/big. So I crushed them up and dumped them in my palm and held them up to him while he was in his cage. He hopped on my palm after a few seconds and started eating. He sat there for almost 10 minutes.. untill my hand was too tired. I did this multipil times a day for about a week and he was eventually running down my arm and letting me take him out while he was on my palm, and he learned I and my hand was safe and would come to it even without food.

I had no luck, at all, with finger or perch training. Getting him to know my hand was safe however worked and he learned to jump on my finger on his own (though he can still be stubborn sometimes, he is usually very eager to just fly out and onto my shoulder anyway).

R.I.P Elkie
Nov. 04 - Jul. 05
Your life was short lived but I hope you were very happy.
Re: Frosty's adventure #41676 02/13/06 01:02 AM
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
Thank you everybody...But What I am about to tell you has me shivering at the moment...
I took Frosty's cage into the bathroom and was planning on another last time where he just stands at the top of the cage and runs over to my food hand to get on. I let him out, and I could tell he was in a different mood, more cocky, yesterday he didn't do anything except admire his inside cage, BUT today, he flew...madly...I don't have his wings cut so he was flying around madly...The whole time I was praying that he wouldn't get hurt....Then, he sat on the cage and just sat, oh and as he was flying I could tell he was clumsy....Anyways, when I decided to put him back, because I could tell his feet were becoming stretched out on top of the cage. He ran away from my food hand...I tried for about 2 hours to get him back in, finally I just had to worry about getting him back into the cage, I had to try every single way...I could tell he was becoming tense and terribly afraid, then he made this high pitched call...He'd never done that before..I knew he was at the point of not just being scared but being petrified...Finally, I got him back in the cage but he made that high pitched sound many more times..... I am shivering right now, I just hope he's alright....I feel VERY VERY VERY depressed now, and my only hope is that he survives. I can just tell he is extremely petrified and I just hope that he does not fall ill or even worst become deceased because of it.....I already know I've lost ALL trust with him now...In fact I don't feel he will ever be able to trust again..........I feel really really bad....Pray for him! I know I'm going to have trouble falling asleep tonight. At the moment, I've covered his cage 3/4 with a towel and hoping that that will help. If any one else has any information on what I should do please please tell! Also, Please criticize me, tell me I was so stupid to try and let him out....tell me everything I did wrong, I just feel really guilty and need some hard criticism right now.....I feel so guilty!! frown frown frown frown frown frown frown I will still start over with the trust sessions again...even though now I know they are pointless...Just to ask, should I just give up on training him now and just buy him another friend bird so he has company?

Snow glistens upon the open field, I see your shape, I hear your chirp, and happiness fills my soul, knowing how happy you must be, to be away from me....RIP Frosty! I'll love you forever and for always!
Re: Frosty's adventure #41677 02/13/06 02:53 AM
Alyssa Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
When I first got Cosmo and had been trying to tame him for a few weeks with no luck I let him out of his cage anyway, because even though he'd run from my hands he didn't run from his cage. I had went over my bedroom, vaccumed, did everything I needed to do and sat the stool he claimed for himself somewhere out in the open (he sat under it for hours just chirping/preening/sleeping). Well one day he decided to explore under my bed, which I thought was fine because I had looked under it and didnt see anything, and I was laying on the floor watching him and he kind of fell over and wouldn't get up. I went under to see what it was just thinking his toenail was cought on the carpet but he was STUCK, almost his whole left side, to a sticky pad. I completely forgot about them, we had bought some and put them around the house because we were having a problem with brown recluse spiders. It was the same color as my carpet, so I didn't see it when I looked under the bed. Anyway, I started balling the moment I understood what happened, pulled him out from under the bed and got my dad and did some very quick reading online.. we had to pour alittle veg. oil on him to get him off, because it was the only other way besides alcohol which probley would be killed him because of the fumes. Anyway I was crying the entire time, not so worried that he was stuck but because of the amount of stress I knew he was having and I thought he would die from it. Well we finally got him off and even though he was terrfied and confused I think he understood we were helping him. Even though he was off, he could barly open his beak and his wing was stuck to his body because we didn't get that glue off so we came back in my room and laid on the bed with him and got the rest off (it took forever because he kept running away), but ever now and then he'd give our finger 'love nibbles' because he knew he was becoming a lot less sticky the more we messed with him. Well, after that, the problem was the oil; he couldnt warm himself up because of the oil on his feathers, and couldnt get it off, so over the next few days we had to forcably give him baths (he'd never had a bath before) to get it all off. I was SURE he'd hate me and never trust people after this. He was scared of my hands for a few days but that was about it. He was tame a few weeks later, and despite being forced to be dipped in water and being held, he LOVES baths.

Point being, don't worry. Budgies are amazingly forgiving. The only lasting effect this had on Cosmo is he HATES things on his beak. When he drinks water he will jump down, drink, jump up to his perch and dry his beak, and do that over and over till he's not thirsty anymore. When he eats wet stuff he shakes his head if things get on his beak. He didn't do this before the glue-trap.

Don't get another bird if you want him to bond with you. He just had a little stressful time in the bathroom, he might be jumpy for a few days but he will get over it. It's not pointless unless have no hope in him smile

R.I.P Elkie
Nov. 04 - Jul. 05
Your life was short lived but I hope you were very happy.
Re: Frosty's adventure #41678 02/13/06 03:17 AM
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
That sounds really rough Alyssa...I still feel very very guilty...I will try and continue..I've covered his cage for the night though, so I'm hoping he doesn't have some sort of panic attack or something, he is now, sitting on his perch, not making a sound, and has one foot up in sleeping position...I'll repeat, I still feel extremely horrible about it and I know I will have nightmares.
Thanks Alyssa! I now own hope again, it may be a tiny bit, but it is some.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Upgrading my Bracelet Game
by knightgael - 01/30/23 08:44 AM
Mathematics
by Kerok - 01/26/23 05:53 AM
Nike towards the Chinese Lunar Yr inspiration
by AllanMajor - 01/25/23 07:36 AM
Why did my credit card company randomly extend my
by knightgael - 01/23/23 02:50 PM
Little Budgie Football Fans???
by Wuzzy - 01/23/23 04:56 AM
NCAA football rankings
by Wuzzy - 01/23/23 04:53 AM
Are the services of the fubotv good?
by knightgael - 01/22/23 11:13 PM
Where can I get feedback about the oncor?
by landale - 01/22/23 08:38 PM
Are product reviews important to you before you
by landale - 01/22/23 05:50 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site