Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Will a Keet Return to its Cage on its Own? #415968 07/05/11 06:36 PM
Lane Lester Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
It's pretty obvious that I'm never going to get Billie finger-trained or handheld perch trained. I've tried all I plan to and have made no progress.

She doesn't mind being touched, and we sometime play a bit where she nibbles my finger. But that's it.

So, does that mean she's confined to the cage for life, or would she go back to her cage for food and water if I opened the door and let her come out on her own?

Lane

Billie's Buddy
Re: Will a Keet Return to its Cage on its Own? [Re: Lane Lester] #415969 07/05/11 08:21 PM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Obviously that's not the best option, but generally as long as the room is keet protected eventually they will return back to their cage for food and water. The cage is their safe place. But they will do this in their own time........

How long have you been working at training? Everything is in keet time....it can be weeks or months

Kathy

Last edited by cyberbud; 07/05/11 08:23 PM.

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: Will a Keet Return to its Cage on its Own? [Re: Lane Lester] #415970 07/05/11 08:36 PM
tessboss Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I would think they would always return to the cage if they can fly there. Food, water and security is there. Some birds who have been in a cage do not fly well at first. They seem not to be able to get any height at first.

I think maybe keet proofing the room and maybe set the cage on the floor and open it up. I would sit on the floor too but not try to catch or disturb the bird and see if curiosity takes over. Your bird may just come out and sit on top of the cage at first.

The problem is when you need Billie to return what are you going to do? If you need the bird to go back in that would be nearly impossible .... anybody got a answer for that.. I don't.

Re: Will a Keet Return to its Cage on its Own? [Re: Lane Lester] #415972 07/05/11 11:45 PM
D
Daniellero Offline
Friend
Friend
D
My CeeCee is half finger trained. She'll get on a finger, but flies away when I take her out of the cage. She always comes back to her cage. She likes to sit on the curtain rod, or play with my other keet who's cage is across the room, but he's not fledged so I keep him in unless I watch him. Mostly I just leave her cage open during the day but close it when I go to bed. Sometimes I can pick her up and put her in but admit it's tough if she is stubborn. If I keep after her she gets the idea and goes in. I have been working with her for 2 years this is the best I can seem to get her.

Re: Will a Keet Return to its Cage on its Own? [Re: Lane Lester] #415974 07/06/11 09:26 AM
Lane Lester Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, friends. I have some weeks this summer that would be best for this experiment, so I'm going to try it.

I have one of the big Hagen cages, so Billie is able to exercise her wings in bursts. I'm going to fix the bottom two doors like a drawbridge (I think that was illusive's technique) to make a better "landing pad."

I'll let you know how it goes.

Lane

Billie's Buddy
Re: Will a Keet Return to its Cage on its Own? [Re: Lane Lester] #415975 07/06/11 12:07 PM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
You can also buy "landing style perches" to hang on the doors. They are fairly inexpensive.

Best of luck...and hang in there. Patience is the key!!!

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: Will a Keet Return to its Cage on its Own? [Re: Lane Lester] #415976 07/06/11 03:27 PM
D
Daniellero Offline
Friend
Friend
D
My cage has a guillotine style door but I clip it open with a hair clip. Getting in and out doesn't seem to be a problem. Lots of times she walks around sideways the outside of the cage or lands on top and then walks around to the door.

Re: Will a Keet Return to its Cage on its Own? [Re: Lane Lester] #416005 07/08/11 02:18 AM
JeanneM Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I agree to fix the double doors up so they are flat and easy like a front porch. I've let Chippy out for free time almost from the beginning. His clipped wings were the only thing slowing him down. If I need him to get into his cage quickly and without trauma, I simply jangle his favorite toy or bell inside the cage. He streamlines in to save it's life. I guess.

JeanneM
Re: Will a Keet Return to its Cage on its Own? [Re: JeanneM] #416012 07/08/11 01:11 PM
Lane Lester Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Originally Posted By: JeanneM
If I need him to get into his cage quickly and without trauma, I simply jangle his favorite toy or bell inside the cage. He streamlines in to save it's life. I guess.

Thanks for that idea!

We're on our third day with the "drawbridge" down. Billie will perch at the doorway and look all around. But so far, I think the "great outdoors" is still a bit intimidating. But that's fine; I'm in no hurry.

Lane

Billie's Buddy
Re: Will a Keet Return to its Cage on its Own? [Re: Lane Lester] #416013 07/09/11 02:22 AM
JeanneM Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
It took Chippy his whole first year to really get big and brave and comfortable. He was a happy little guy, but I oftened wondered, as the months went by, if he'd ever be my brave little curious pet. Well, at just one year old, he turned the corner and after that big moult, he came out of his shell and got right in my face. He's been there ever since. He takes his life as his right and he's a bold little character now. I've always had freedom and toys and baths and good diet there for his convenience. Now he really takes advantage of everything. So let her take on the "great outdoors" at her speed. She'll surprise you one day.

JeanneM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Parakeet aggressive once I add in toys, help!
by Alex-x - 07/30/20 11:55 PM
a parakeet pair concern
by Durov - 07/11/20 11:42 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site