Next Thread
Print Thread
HELP WITH PARAKEET TRAVEL!? #415501 05/21/11 04:55 AM
kayyyla Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Wow, havent wrote on here in a while!

I live near about 2 miles from Scranton, Pennsylvania and my Fiance got offered a job in Syracuse, NY, about 2 hours away. Well, we plan on staying in a hotel monday-friday and coming home on the weekends. I plan on bring my parakeet on this adventure (pets are allowed in the hotel.) And, I was just wondering how i would go about with the travel? I don't want her to be uncomfortable and i am terrified that she will be stressed when i take her for the ride. How can i make her feel safe and secure on the rides back and forth. I feel i can get her comfortable with her new home the 4 out of 7 days we are staying at the hotel. Finding her a new home is just out of the question for me. I gave too much to her to just let her go through hell again..

any ideas!?

Re: HELP WITH PARAKEET TRAVEL!? [Re: kayyyla] #415502 05/21/11 07:38 AM
Siegel Offline
Companion
Companion
take cage as is and cover it with a cloth for the ride. maybe even try riding at night when shell go to sleep anyway. (at least when it gets dark).

if youre going to move her twice a week i really think that in the long run it may be stressful for her. maybe keep her at home and ask a neighbor/family member to take care of her during the week. how long will this all take? are you planning on moving to syracuse eventually?

Re: HELP WITH PARAKEET TRAVEL!? [Re: kayyyla] #415503 05/21/11 01:02 PM
D
Daniellero Offline
Friend
Friend
D
My old bird Skittles and my bird CeeCee both love to travel in the car for some reason. I took skittles down the cape for vacation and didn't even cover the cage. Tha t was two hours. I put him on the passenger seat and he just sang and hopped around on his swing.

Re: HELP WITH PARAKEET TRAVEL!? [Re: kayyyla] #415506 05/21/11 05:55 PM
tessboss Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I plan on taking Bob to the cottage with us in July. It is 3 hours away but Bob went to the vet in the car already and loved it. As long as he can see out the window he's happy.

You will figure it out, all birds are different.

Re: HELP WITH PARAKEET TRAVEL!? [Re: tessboss] #415510 05/21/11 10:07 PM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
I would be more concerned with what cleaning products get used while you are gone by staff. Just a thought.

Good luck with your new adventure!

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: HELP WITH PARAKEET TRAVEL!? [Re: kayyyla] #415511 05/21/11 11:37 PM
kayyyla Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Thanks for all the suggestions. Well, the job that he will be working on can take up to 6 years, so moving for good isnt an option. as of now, we are taking it day by day and seeing how everything works out. We already spoke with the hotel and there will be no cleaning involved, besides by me. everything will be left for us, like towels and such. but, i will be doing the cleaning and it will be done with the bird nowhere near the products. although, i don't use many cleaning products on her, i will do normal vacuming and ill dust with a regular dust brush. but, i do not wish to keep her home with anyone else, it took me too long to get her used to me and i am the only one she is comfortable with.

Last edited by kayyyla; 05/21/11 11:39 PM.

Re: HELP WITH PARAKEET TRAVEL!? [Re: kayyyla] #415524 05/22/11 07:31 AM
Siegel Offline
Companion
Companion
haha 6 years, ive never lived in one place that long (since i was born). but wouldnt you move there anyway if it took that long?

Re: HELP WITH PARAKEET TRAVEL!? [Re: kayyyla] #415534 05/22/11 04:09 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Not sure what you mean by the job COULD last up to 6 yrs. Does that mean it's not a done deal and it might not last long at all?
I can't see traveling that far back n forth with your bird for 6 yrs. That's a lot for a bird to have to put up with. Not only that, but you have to think about weather/weather changes too. If you're still having to travel in the winter it gets down right frigid out there..not good to subject your bird to frown

As for traveling cover cage while transporting from house to car. Move VERY slowly and talk to her the whole time. You might want to keep it partially covered even in the car for the ride, I would. Have 1 perch down low, and no swinging toys/objects. Be sure that if it's a sunny hot day you have something to shield the car windows so the hot sun is not beating on her. Even if cage is still partially covered, sun beating on it would be like an oven.

Tess is right, all birds are different. Some might not mind traveling as much as others. Just do your best to make it the least stressful as possible for her. You might want to get her used to using a water bottle for her drinking water. That way she will be able to drink during transport. Otherwise a regular water dish will undoubtedly spill. She'll need access to water if traveling that far esp if it's hot out.

If everything pans out and he will be working at that job for a year or more wouldn't it be better to rent an apartment and not have to travel? Gas is outrageous and the stress for your bird will be a bit much for yeeears.
Or for that matter even if staying at motel why do you have to commute every weekend? Do you really HAVE to go back home every weekend?

Last edited by kksuns; 05/22/11 04:16 PM.

Re: HELP WITH PARAKEET TRAVEL!? [Re: kayyyla] #415569 05/23/11 03:23 PM
kayyyla Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
well, he works for the gas company. they have been fracking up in our area and he worked up here for a little while but there is a better money making opportunity in syracuse. there are no definite plans, depending on the trip and how much he works, it can become a permenant stay. there are no sure answers yet. for the time being we will come home for weekends, but depending how things go, every weekend wont be a trip.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Parakeet aggressive once I add in toys, help!
by Alex-x - 07/30/20 11:55 PM
a parakeet pair concern
by Durov - 07/11/20 11:42 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site