Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Couple more questions on getting my first budgie #415438 05/20/11 04:51 AM
pepperandrocky Offline OP
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
I found my breeder back in Feb and have been waiting on a bird from a pair that hadn't even laid eggs yet back in Feb. But hopefully within two wks I will finally get *her*. It appears the bird I want is female and that leads me to some more questions.

I've read to keep a female from laying eggs it's important to limit their daylight/light to 12 hrs a day. I am a night owl so does it matter 'what' 12 hrs it is in dark/cage covered? Is 10am to 10pm ok for there to be light? Also the room the bird will be in is the room with the tv so even after 10pm there will be light in the room. One site said there had to be total darkness to keep a female from laying eggs (but I've been told here that I should have a night light for my bird). arrrgggg! Hate all this conflicting info and I DO NOT want my girlie laying eggs!

Also on the egg laying thing, I know that dogs (haha Illusive, imagine that!) have heat cycles twice a year and there's no way to stop that without spaying them. With female birds, will they go into breeding mode automatically or is it mainly controlled by environment? By keeping the cage covered 12hrs I know helps. Also have read limiting fresh veggies helps but is that *only* when they are in breeding mode? I hate to think I can't ever feed fresh veggies. So is it only when there ceres turn brown and crusty which signals breeding mode that you stop the veggies? Seems like there is SO much more to think about getting a female bird.

Also she is being hand tamed (and hand fed) by the breeder. She has been flying around the breeder's house and is doing really good about coming to her. kksuns has told us the importance of keet proofing a room before letting a bird loose and to expect the young ones to crash into walls and such at first. My house has an open layout that has a staircase that goes into an open hallway upstairs (you can see people walk down that hallway from the first floor). Also the family room has a cathedral ceiling that is open to that hallway. So think LOTS of room to fly. I can close off a few rooms from the open area but there still will be lots of space. I figured I'd first let the bird out in a smaller room until it gets used to flying and I know it will come to me when called. I'll just have to move the cage into the 'fly room' when I'm letting her out of the cage. I guess there wasn't a question here, I'm just nervous about all the open space------I picture myself on a ladder trying to get her down from a high ledge. wink

Thanks for any advice and experience on these matters. Believe me I have done my research but haven't seen answers to these questions. smile

I'll be back!
Re: Couple more questions on getting my first budgie [Re: pepperandrocky] #415440 05/20/11 05:25 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
giggle...is it ok to laugh now or should i wait giggle...

i can see you spelunking giggle...omg

the tv on makes no difference as long at it gets the hint its time to sleep which means totally covering the cage...even a small table lamp on is ok too...things dont have to be PITCH black and i would never recommend that either becuz of nite frights...

you got what you need in the food you feed so you dont have to worry about feeding fresh veggies...you can do that ONCE a week...if it makes you feel better...and mostly YES its environmental conditions that trigger hormones such as ...is there a mate putting on the dog for the female...spring with rains and warmer temps and daylight stretching out and a gourmet of foods allllll are trigering things....so you absolutely dont want a mirror in the cage either...

put yourself into the head of a wild bird... "I SAID BIRD!! NOT WOOF...geeeesh giggle

it instinctively knows the best time to rear young is when temps warm...when rain is plentiful becuz that means growth to foods...which means they know they will have enuf food for young.

and the longer daylight means longer time to look for the food to feed them so they last thru the nite without something in their crops.

needless to say no shreddie toys either

and good idea on starting with a smaller area to teach it to come to you at first....

stop worrying your gonna be a GOOOOOD MOMMIE lol

just ermmmm reggie uhmmmmm gawd whimper?!?!?!

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 05/20/11 08:30 AM.
Re: Couple more questions on getting my first budgie [Re: illusive Fantasy] #415444 05/20/11 06:17 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
All will be fine. I've had female keets for almost 4 years now with no eggs (knock on wood). They do have some shred toys...if not its straight to my wood blinds they go when they are out. Shiny things and bell toys are their favorites.

They will stick close to their cage at first as that is their safe place. Mine usually only go upstairs when I go up.

Have fun!

Kathy

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: Couple more questions on getting my first budgie [Re: pepperandrocky] #415448 05/20/11 01:22 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
VERY good idea to start the out of cage time/flying in a smaller room until she has bonded with you and willingly comes to you. You might want to teach her to come to you when you do a certain whistle or ring a bell or something like that and call her name(once she has one lol) It DOES work.
Sounds to me like since the breeder has been letting her out she will already be a pretty good flyer as far as crash n burns go.She's already getting her practice flights and I think that is GREAT. So that part I wouldn't worry too much about. It's the coming to you when she is out that you should work on from the start because like you said with such an open floor plan and high ceilings, if she's not willing to come to you it will be tough when you want her in and SHE is not ready to go in yet.
A good size playstand might be nice to have to give her something of her own to land on and play on while she's out.
I would however still look for danger zones she could accidently fall behind like bookcases or entertainment centers..places that if she fell behind them she would be stuck. THOSE are also places where perch training would come in handy to help her out of a sticky situation...reeeaching her. Perch training would also come in handy to get her from high spots. So yep, work on the perch training too.

If you have everything for the good, balanced, complete seed mix as illusive said I wouldn't worry too much about offering fresh veggies alll the time. As I like to say..IT'S IN THERE! lol
Once a week for vegs will be fine, try to switch it up on what vegs you do feed. Like you said you don't want her going in to breeding mode and holding back on a buffet of veggies offered all the time will help tremendously in that department.

TRY not to worry too much and just ENJOY your new baby when she comes. I know it's hard being a brand new mommy...worrying is what we DO lol But don't let it get in the way of having fun with her. You're certainly more prepared than most at this stage of the game so KUDOS for that wink

*knockin on wood for you too cyberbud. 4 yrs and no egg laying...yesss! You must be doing something right smile

Re: Couple more questions on getting my first budgie [Re: pepperandrocky] #415459 05/20/11 06:27 PM
K
Kimberly1985 Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
K
I can't wait to see your new keet! I'm excited but probably not near as much as you are!

Re: Couple more questions on getting my first budgie [Re: pepperandrocky] #415463 05/20/11 07:04 PM
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
Thank you Illusive, cyberbud, kksuns and Kimberly!! I've got too much time on my hands to sit and stew about all this. LOL

Thanks for all the good advice and well wishes. I have two bookcases that she might get behind from above so will put permanent blockages on top of them (no one will ever know cause it's tall) and I need to see about a certain upper kitchen cabinet that may not go all the way to the way and try and block that.

Cyberbud, the breeder has only had one female that was an egg layer and she was able to stop her so hopefully I'll have the same luck as you and her. I know we read more about things like that (egg laying) on a forum so hopefully it's not as prevalent as I fear.

Kim I need to learn how to use photobucket. I know there's tips in here on using it so I need to actually try it and not just read about it. wink smile

Illusive, come one, Reggie is a perfect name for a pretty little blue bird. wink It's better than Rover!!!!

I'll be back!
Re: Couple more questions on getting my first budgie [Re: pepperandrocky] #415464 05/20/11 07:11 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
OH LAWDY...i give up!!!

Re: Couple more questions on getting my first budgie [Re: pepperandrocky] #415469 05/20/11 07:43 PM
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
LOL!!! I'm waiting to see if she 'tells' me her name, otherwise......... wink

I'll be back!

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Parakeet aggressive once I add in toys, help!
by Alex-x - 07/30/20 11:55 PM
a parakeet pair concern
by Durov - 07/11/20 11:42 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site