LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Re: Good food [Re: tessboss] #414736 04/30/11 08:17 PM
bobANDmary Offline
this is the first time that i heard of not storing seed mix in the fridge, (in vege tray about 42 degrees) why is that?
is the mix that i have stored in the fridge for the last 4/5 months now garbage? part kaytee fiesta max and dr.harveys/kaytee fusion. it always been vac sealed with foodsaver. also i have my extra millet stored in small vac packs also,

Re: Good food [Re: tessboss] #414737 04/30/11 08:20 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
any refridgeration promotes condensation whether its seen or not...its part of what refrideration does an this is not good for seed

if your vacuum sealing anyway this isnt necessary...glad to see someone besides me and ahall vacuum seals its the best way to make sure its air tight...

store in cool dark space but do not freeze or refrigderate...

i dont keep any seed more than 6mos no matter what...and i make sure to buy in quantities to fit that bill

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 04/30/11 08:21 PM.
Re: Good food [Re: tessboss] #419747 10/26/11 07:50 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
NOTICE...UPDATE

at this time do not order seed from alta loma as they are having some seed issues for now....

Re: Good food [Re: tessboss] #420796 12/12/11 11:36 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
even ordering the seeds that comprise many of the mixes SEPARETLY are better than doing SUPPLEMENTED seed diets and or pelleted diets...YES it takes more time to mix your own food of seeds and grains with herbs and spices but...if your SERIOUS about feeding a better way than this should not be a issue

if you also take time to read the thread on IMPORTANCE OF VIT A you will note i no longer also feed any egg mixes...for the reasons stated but...do advocate having at least some on hand for when or if a bird refused to eat at least a very loose gruel of this can be made and fed thru a pipette to get the bird back up and strong.

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthread..._bir#Post419620

I also want to add to this that ...thru extensive research into IMPORTED seeds such as nijer or nyger depending on how seller list the spelling along with rape/canola seed...

these are NOT seeds which are grown here in the U.S.A. and it has been noted that there is NO sort of restrictions to these seeds by this country other than they be HEAT TREATED to eliminate weeds and as a process to STERILIZE the seed so it wont grow...

there is NO restrictions as to whether they are non chemically treated with pesticides or growth enhancement chemicals to provide better yield quantity...

therefore it is NOT GUARANTEED these seeds in just about EVERY commercial seed sold is not or has not been exposed to chemical treatment thereby SLOWLY POISONING our birds...even the wild bird seed sold. Leading to maybe sudden unexplained death in our birds.

i have saved some emails i have made inquiring to sellers of these seed mixes and they will NOT guarantee what they sell to this fact and or at the very least state on the bag a warning to this affect, indicating further they will unscroupulously do what they need to do to try to sell you on the idea that their seed mixes are HEALTHY....so buyer beware...

organic or whats known as wildcrafted is the best way to go for buying seeds/grains for our birds and organic milk thistle is a decent substitute for nyger.

taking time to mix YOUR OWN seed mixes if you truly want to feed a safe diet to your birds is worth the effort...this of course means ordering/buying seeds or grains herb and spices separately.

another note to make is this...regarding the HEMP seed...feed the STERILE HEMP WITH SHELL as the ***hull less hemp is waaaaaaaaaay packed with protein and should only be fed for 3 weeks during a MAJOR moult(loss of wing flights and tail feathers).

i bumped up this thread as Razara was just asking about a way to better feed their bird i also needed to add some new info...

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 12/13/11 01:27 AM.
Re: Good food [Re: illusive Fantasy] #420800 12/13/11 03:13 AM
C
chynablue Offline
Friend
Friend
C
Thanks everyone for the great info here! I am going to try the herb salad from http://www.twinbeaksaviary.com/order.html

My avian vet does not like pellet diets, either. However, he does recommend Harrison's Certified Organic http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/products/hpsf.html supplemented with offerings of fresh fruits and veggies.

My keets hate the bright-colored fruity-smelling pellets, but they love Harrison's organic and weaned off seeds easily. I am still concerned about their diet, however. What do you think?

Ingredients:
*Ground Hulled White Millet (Proso), *Ground Shelled Sunflower Seeds, *Ground Hulless Barley, *Ground Yellow Corn, *Ground Soybeans, *Ground Shelled Peanuts, *Ground Rice, *Ground Green Peas, *Ground Lentils, *Ground Toasted Oat Groats, Chia Seed, *Ground Alfalfa, Calcium Carbonate, Montmorillonite Clay, Spirulina, Ground Dried Sea Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Sea Salt, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, d-Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.
*CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min.) 20%, crude fat (min.) 12%, crude fiber (max.) 5%, moisture (max.) 10%

Re: Good food [Re: tessboss] #420801 12/13/11 03:25 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
this is still a pellet correct???? a pellet by any other name as they say is still a pellet...

and its still has suppose supplements and if you read the thread about all this...you would of seen thats its NOT a benefit in fact its not good.

the process even in making pellets is disgusting..as its again been known that some processing plants are not strictly regulated and some things like PLASTIC have been known to be "ground up" and is in pellets...

frown

again ill post this thread of info here about all of this in case you somehow missed it in another thread to read

http://www.naturalbird.com/mcwatters/synthetic.htm

there is a lot of sugar also to corn and peas...which is in that ingredients list..sunflower is very fattening as well...an soy welllllllll...

also there is no pleasure involved in a bird hulling seeds...so why would it need a beak...its a natural and necessary part of the bird...psycologically speaking even...

pellets are known to be responsible also for kidney failure and tumor issues...so if this is just another pellet...i dont advocate it...

smile

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 12/13/11 03:31 AM.
Re: Good food [Re: tessboss] #420802 12/13/11 03:52 AM
pepperandrocky Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
Also about the Harrison pellets listed above, the protein content is 20% which is very high and that's not good for our birds.

I'll be back!
Re: Good food [Re: tessboss] #420810 12/13/11 04:33 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
yah and thats a MIN. of 20%...sooooooo not good crazy i also find it interesting it states for birds with kidney or liver disease as high protein contributes to that. Also it is very clear it is NOT meant to be a sole diet at the ratios they give for feeding.

and OMG i just saw where CHIA is also a imported seed...and i posted about imported seeds and the risk...

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 12/13/11 04:43 AM.
Re: Good food [Re: tessboss] #420811 12/13/11 04:38 AM
C
chynablue Offline
Friend
Friend
C
Sorry I posted the high potency formula for recovering birds. Here's the regular:

Ingredients:
*Ground Yellow Corn, *Ground Hulless Barley, *Ground Hulled Millet, *Ground Soybeans, *Ground Shelled Peanuts, *Ground Shelled Sunflower Seeds, *Ground Lentils, *Ground Rice, *Ground Green Peas, *Ground Alfalfa, *Ground Toasted Oat Groats, Chia Seed, Calcium Carbonate, Montmorillonite Clay, Ground Dried Sea Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Sea Salt, Spirulina, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, d-Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.
*CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min.) 14%, crude fat (min.) 6%, crude fiber (max.) 4.5%, moisture (max.) 10%.

Is the protein and fat still too high?
I do not feed them exclusively pellets. I offer them fresh natural foods as well.

Re: Good food [Re: tessboss] #420812 12/13/11 04:45 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
its still too high in the protein category...still has peas and corn and soy and chia seeds which chia seeds are IMPORTED..NOT grown in the U.S.A...and this is why they wont certify it as ORGANIC...so ill once again copy and paste this info here ...

I also want to add to this that ...thru extensive research into IMPORTED seeds such as nijer or nyger depending on how seller list the spelling along with rape/canola seed...

these are NOT seeds which are grown here in the U.S.A. and it has been noted that there is NO sort of restrictions to these seeds by this country other than they be HEAT TREATED to eliminate weeds and as a process to STERILIZE the seed so it wont grow...

there is NO restrictions as to whether they are non chemically treated with pesticides or growth enhancement chemicals to provide better yield quantity...

therefore it is NOT GUARANTEED these seeds in just about EVERY commercial seed sold is not or has not been exposed to chemical treatment thereby SLOWLY POISONING our birds...even the wild bird seed sold. Leading to maybe sudden unexplained death in our birds.

i have saved some emails i have made inquiring to sellers of these seed mixes and they will NOT guarantee what they sell to this fact and or at the very least state on the bag a warning to this affect, indicating further they will unscroupulously do what they need to do to try to sell you on the idea that their seed mixes are HEALTHY....so buyer beware...

organic or whats known as wildcrafted is the best way to go for buying seeds/grains for our birds and organic milk thistle is a decent substitute for nyger.

taking time to mix YOUR OWN seed mixes if you truly want to feed a safe diet to your birds is worth the effort...this of course means ordering/buying seeds or grains herb and spices separately.

another note to make is this...regarding the HEMP seed...feed the STERILE HEMP WITH SHELL as the ***hull less hemp is waaaaaaaaaay packed with protein and should only be fed for 3 weeks during a MAJOR moult(loss of wing flights and tail feathers).

i bumped up this thread as Razara was just asking about a way to better feed their bird i also needed to add some new info...

and now to this info above i have to add CHIA seeds are also IMPORTED. Why feed anything that doesnt need to be fed and run a risk of serious health issues...

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 12/13/11 04:51 AM.
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
GARDEN FLOWERS
by Rapapo - 09/26/22 08:05 PM
God's Court
by leyibop - 09/20/22 08:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by juniovidx - 09/08/22 12:04 PM
BIRDS BOOKS
by WilliamC00 - 08/29/22 01:11 PM
NFL draft poll: Revisiting Eco-friendly Bay exchan
by Davis Jordan - 08/29/22 08:28 AM
Motivation Granted: D'Wayne Eskridge Prepared towa
by Davis Jordan - 08/29/22 08:20 AM
Hear: Will Falcons Facial area Saints QB Taysom Hi
Panthers at Vikings: 5 queries with the Each day N
What we realized pertaining to the Chiefs this 7 d
by Davis Jordan - 08/29/22 08:19 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site