LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414246 04/22/11 04:28 AM
pepperandrocky Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
Hoping that Baby continues to improve and that he finds a home with either you or someone you find that can take good care of him. I can only imagine how high of a vet bill you are going to have. It's something we all need to think about and plan for and that you've taken this on is a testament to your love of animals. It would be nice if the pet store agreed to pay a portion of the bill.

Keeping Baby and you in my thoughts.

I'll be back!
Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414251 04/22/11 03:04 PM
F
fantasybookworm Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Friday morning update!

Baby made it through last night too. smile The vet I talked to on the phone wasn't the main one that we saw at our appointment yesterday, but he knew a bit about the current situation. He told me that they thought it was weird that Baby was doing fine with holding his head up and everything, but his back end just wasn't working. So they did an x-ray...And found a bunch of heavy metal in his gut. No clue where it came from, whether it was at the store or from the customer or what... They changed the treatment to different injections that will help treat heavy metal toxicity, but I was told there isn't much they can do to remove the metal. He said that it'll just get broken down and digested eventually. He also said that as soon as they can get the weight stable, I can bring him home, so it'll most likely be tomorrow that I go get him. I'd love to get him today, but I have to work all afternoon and evening, so that's not possible. I'll be shown how to give him the injections and can keep giving them to him, but I'm not sure yet how long he'll need them. The main vet is going to call me back later and I'll probably find out more from him and learn more about what his plans for Baby are. I'm SO relieved he made it through the night and that we know what's wrong now! Just have to wait and see what comes next...

Edit - I forgot to add...The vet I spoke to mentioned that since he's not technically my bird, they might be able to work with me a bit on how high the final bill is. So that's also good news! Though he may end up becoming my bird depending on how this situation plays out...Whatever my dad says, I don't intend on taking him back to the store until he no longer needs any injections or medications. If I absolutely can't keep him, I'll look for a home for him myself where they can handle his needs. I just have to talk the situation over with my manager, though I can do that tonight at work.

Last edited by fantasybookworm; 04/22/11 03:18 PM.
Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414253 04/22/11 03:16 PM
C
Connor G Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
C
That's great news! Cudos to you on taking him to the vet right away! That's awesome that he will be ok!

Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414255 04/22/11 03:23 PM
P
preciousbaby Offline
Friend
Friend
P
eek I am sooooooo....HAPPY!!!!!! Yes, this little fighter made it through the night!!!! Oh I am filled with delight. I am so proud of you honey! You are one example of a true animal lover and I applaud all your efforts!! I do know how expensive this type of treatment is, as I had my little girl, Baby at Cornell Vet Hospital during the last days of her life. I would do it all over again! She was my heart bird and the love we shared will be like no other!

Now take a deep breath, and we will watch this unfold...one step at a time, FBW. We are all pulling for you and Baby. I will be praying extra this evening at church for this little one.

Happy Easter to you, Baby and your family!

Joni

Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414258 04/22/11 03:59 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
To quote preciiusbaby...I am sooooo HAPPYYY too!!!!!! The mere fact that this little bird made it through the night shows how much of a fighter he is. So special smile
I applaud you yet again for taking it upon yourself to get help for him. TERRIFIC news the vet is willing to help offset the bill for you.
Heavy metal poisoning huh? Not sure what you mean by "no clue where it came from be it the store or the customer"?? Was this bird returned by a customer?
At any rate..if the metal toxicity came from the store it tells me that something is obviously wrong in the environment these birds are being kept in. Be it the cages they are housed in, toys they have..dishes, SOMETHING is extremely toxic and really needs to be looked in to. There may be many other birds already affected and more to come.

If/when you ever get the chance, I for one would love to know what it is the vet is using to treat this heavy metal toxicity.
I know of some natural things, like cilantro for example, that helps remove heavy metals from the system but I don't know what drugs? are used. Obviously the little guy as quite a build up and I highly doubt something like cilantro would have even began to touch it.
Whatever we can learn through others" experiences may help someone in the future smile

Still pulling for this awesome little fighter and as always my very best to you. I hope it all works out and pans out the way you hope.

Thanks so much for the update!

Hang in there baby. You have a wealth of love coming your way smile

Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414261 04/22/11 04:16 PM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Great news!!!

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414268 04/22/11 04:49 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
unbelievable...reminds me of someone else in here whose bird had that ...remember kk...its the combo of cilantro and thyme...not just cilantro where a tea is made but if im not mistaken are you saying there were actual metal deposits showing which is what im thinking your saying...

Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414274 04/22/11 05:11 PM
F
fantasybookworm Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I agree that he's an amazing fighter! I've been a bit giddy ever since hanging up the phone, I'm so glad that he's still going. Such a brave little guy he is. <3 And yes, he was brought back by a customer on Wednesday, and I believe they bought him last Thursday or Friday, but I can't remember exactly. I can't even remember seeing Baby in our store prior to his being bought, and wasn't here when he was sold, so I'm not entirely sure if he was at our exact store, or how long we had him before he was bought. I'll try to find out more about how long he was at our store and such from my manager today, just to get a better idea of at least some of his background. I'll also talk over the diagnosis with her, and see if we can figure out if there was something new introduced to the bird cages or what. I'll also question the vet more, either on the phone today or tomorrow when I pick Baby up, and find out if there's a way to tell what the metal is or where it came from, and what the time span is that he might have eaten it. And kk, I will ask what the injection is! smile

Illusive - Yeah, from what they were telling me, it sounds like he has actual masses of heavy metal in his abdomen...But I could have misunderstood. I'll definitely post tonight or tomorrow with a better update once I get a chance to talk to the vet more.

Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414275 04/22/11 05:15 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
non powdered cages are great for this...people buy cages without the powder coating and BINGO also when you dont know your own homes tap water elements...if its never been tested BINGO...just to name a couple of the most likely culprits...bird toys made in china BINGO

sad part is heavy metal poisoning can cause seizures n brain damage

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 04/22/11 05:17 PM.
Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414287 04/22/11 07:22 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Yah, I do remember combo of cilantro and thyme for tea. But fresh is good too.
I just hope you and the store people can figure out where it stems from and remove it. I also worry about whatever others have been exposed.
So sooooo great you took the initiative to take this kid to the vet FBW...otherwise so many more could suffer too.

Ya know FBW, it's pretty cool how you wandered in here, and all because of this one little bird. Who knows what with all the threads you have probably read what all you will have to offer working at that petstore. To pass on info to other employees..and also to prospective birdy parents.
So many have no clue what they are doing when they buy a bird.
Perhaps there was reason behind it all?

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Parakeet aggressive once I add in toys, help!
by Alex-x - 07/30/20 11:55 PM
a parakeet pair concern
by Durov - 07/11/20 11:42 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site