Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sick budgie laying on floor of cage #414165 04/21/11 06:41 AM
F
fantasybookworm Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I work at a pet store and we had a customer return a sick budgie today. He looks very small, so I think he's still a baby, though I have no clue how old he could be. I brought him home with me tonight and we have a vet appointment for tomorrow. My main concern is that he's laying on the floor of the cage. I put a piece of fleece down, which is what he's laying on. Should I make a nest shape for him, to help support him? Or should he be fine laying on the fleece? I don't want him to be hurt from laying in the wrong position or something...Thanks for any help. smile

Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414166 04/21/11 07:00 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
The fleece is fine. Also some extra heat, perhaps a heating pad under the cage. Food and water on the bottom of the cage too.

Good luck at the vet and let us know how it turns out...

Kathy

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414167 04/21/11 07:18 AM
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks! Yup, I have food and water right by the bottom, though he hasn't shown much interest in either since earlier this evening when he ate some food. I got a couple mouthfuls of water into him just now. I do have my room at around 75 degrees, and he has a heating pad under part of the cage... I'm just so worried about him, I can't sleep. I don't want to wake up and find him dead. >< He wants to be on the perch and has climbed on (it's very low, right above the floor), but can't stay on. I don't know what else to do for him...

Last edited by fantasybookworm; 04/21/11 07:27 AM.
Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414168 04/21/11 08:18 AM
bebee72 Offline
Companion
Companion
Remove all the toys and cover 3 sides of the cage so he could feel more secure and could have a better rest. Put on a small table lamp so he won't be in total darkness.

Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414169 04/21/11 09:20 AM
K
Kimberly1985 Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
K
Also remove that lower perch, if he is "falling" off.

Is he exhibiting any other signs of illness...physically?

Let us all know how the vet check turned out? The diagnosis, treatment, and such.

Thoughts going out to this little guy.

Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414170 04/21/11 12:23 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Nothing to add to the good advice of the above posters.
Hoping the little one made it thru the night...and VERY glad you took him home with you where he can get the comfort, love, and care he needs and deserves.
Please come back and let us know how he is.

Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414171 04/21/11 12:43 PM
tessboss Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Prayers are with the little guy/gal, let us know how it all works out

Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414172 04/21/11 02:43 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Thank you all for the advice and good thoughts! Baby (decided to nickname him so I don't give him a real name since I can't keep him) made it through the night! I was half-convinced that I'd lift the blanket this morning and find him dead, but then he raised his head and blinked at me like "Oh, is it morning?"

He's still having very runny, very green droppings, and has trouble moving around. When I lifted the blanket, he was laying with at least one foot out to the side a bit, not under him, so it looked a bit awkward. But on a positive note, he drank a few more mouthfuls from a spoon, and ate some seed out of my hand! He's cuddling on my chest now. Our appointment is for 2:20 this afternoon, we'll be leaving in a few hours. I'm so glad I brought him home with me for the night, and that I insisted on the appointment... I'll let you guys know tonight how it goes and what I find out. Thanks again SO much for the help, I was so excited to find a budgie forum like the one I go to for my hedgehog!

Edit - Here's a picture I took of him cuddling in my hand too. smile

Last edited by fantasybookworm; 04/21/11 02:52 PM.
Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414175 04/21/11 04:00 PM
K
Kimberly1985 Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
K
What a cute little baby...can't wait to hear what the vet has to say.

Re: Sick budgie laying on floor of cage [Re: fantasybookworm] #414178 04/21/11 04:38 PM
P
preciousbaby Offline
Friend
Friend
P
Good Luck to you and that beautiful Baby. That was my precious little girl's name. I wish you blessings and please let us all know how the tiny one is doing. Thank you for taking in that Baby!!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Parakeet aggressive once I add in toys, help!
by Alex-x - 07/30/20 11:55 PM
a parakeet pair concern
by Durov - 07/11/20 11:42 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site