LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #410937 03/03/11 03:20 PM
BambiEyes Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Well, Usually before the sister incident ((im so happy she doesnt live with me)) He used to just hop onto my hand and stay there, then he would let me take him out of the cage as he was perched on my hand, he also used to stay there untill recently when he stated flying around >,< but now when i put my hand in, he kind of moves away, so i leave it there, and he moves closer, touches it with one foot, as if to inspect my hand, and then he'll eathier just stare at it very intently with his head tilted, or he'll jump on it and off of it again. As soon as I move it though he hops back deep into his cage frown

Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #410939 03/03/11 03:25 PM
BambiEyes Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Also, the cage he was in in the pet store wasnt high up for him at all, but when i first got him, I was told to put him on top of my fridge.. I didnt think that was right, so I moved him immediately into my room. hes ontop of a 6 drawer tall dresser, but Im starting to think he wont come out on his own because the 6 drawer is too high for him, maybe i should move him again? Im not sure >.< I wont have anyone grab him again thats for sure! He hated it!! >.< Also, I did go back tot he pet store just to ask why he's flying into walls, he told me, that he wont stay with me because of how ive been handeling him, he's been getting bad habits and i need to show him im the boss, he said that i should HOLD him in my hand and pat his head while im watching TV, then when its a commericial, and practice the UP command, He did it with a keet he was holding, and it did what he told him, a baby keet! just like storm!! he also made him do this sort of headstand trick, which was really odd to see, but the way he was handeling the other keet, was the way they listened to him. He said that holding them will teach them that I'm the boss, and then they will listen. I do not agree with this at all, because then he's forced to listen from FEAR not trust or love. I g2g to work. I'll talk to everyone who repsonds later! Thank you for everything guys! let me know what you think. Also Kksuns, what about lettuce? do they like lettuce?

Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #410945 03/03/11 05:26 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
listen dont listen to who ever told you about grabbing...thats no. 1...just go and keep doing what your doing by putting your hand in cage and not even near him at first you want to move your hand toward him really slow so get comfortable when doing all this and when he does step on your hand DONT MOVE IT lol...let him sit for however long he wants too and when he moves say gooood boy excitedly and then take your hand out again ...end of lesson time till later in the day and repeat the steps...dont go after him again when he steps or flies off...he did good with that so let him be after that...

there is no teaching a bird WHO IS THE BOSS...not like your dealing with a horse...even then you dont do something like that ...your right TRUST is everything right now for the many months ahead will be alllll training of trust so start your ground work slow and easy...

on top of fridge was also not a good idea in fact anywhere in a kitchen is not a good place for a cage to be honest...once you figure out a spot to put the cage leave it dont keep changing it around....he needs to get use to the surroundings also...

Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #410954 03/03/11 06:44 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Show him who's boss?! grrr! That is just sooo wrong.
People just plain baffle me sometimes. *sigh

Just go by what illusive said above. TRUST is the main thing, and with a solid foundation of TRUST rather than FEAR Stormy will be friendlier and LOVE you, not fear you. Once that trust is there they learn soo quickly and willingly.

Oh, lettuce? They like lettuce, but it really has no nutrition in it. If you feed lettuce at all make it Romaine or Green Leaf. The Iceberg lettuce is the worst and mostly just water..causes runny poops.
Mine do get romaine or green leaf sometimes, they like it AND they LOVE their lettuce baths on it. LOL They love to rub and climb all over a nice big piece of dripping wet lettuce clipped to the side of cage. And they also have to have a piece in their bath or they won't get in. Kooky kids! lol

A couple more good greens are Beet greens-which are hard to come by esp if ya don't like fresh beets! haha A few of us here have discussed this and sorry to admit, but we kind of pinch a few beet greens off the beets at the store and sneak em in with other produce we're buying...like kale or lettuce or whatever? shhhh Don't tell! Beet greens are VERY good for them
And if you can find dandelion greens at the store they are VERY good also. Probably not a good time of year for them tho. My 2 like both of those greens.

Wash and rinse all produce very well. 50/50 apple cider vinegar/water works well for a veggie wash. Soak swish n rub... Rinse
Organic is best if you can get it

Last edited by kksuns; 03/03/11 06:53 PM.

Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #410959 03/03/11 07:55 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
dang sneaky beet leaves how they just jumped into your veggie bags giggle

Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #410996 03/04/11 01:33 AM
BambiEyes Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
hahaha cool. Thanks you guys! I'll keep on trying with Storm. I won't grab him. EVER! I'll keep you all updated, and start putting some fresh veggies in his cage laugh thanks!

Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #410998 03/04/11 02:14 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
welllllllll never say ever never giggle...there are those extreme rare cases where holding a keet or any bird is warranted...usually for any type of health related medical reason...orrrr in a situation like what my pinhead did to me when he first came home with me and was placed into his new home and proceeded to then try to commit serious bodily harm to himself ....repeatedly ever few minutes after id rescue him till i got the situation under control...sighhhh crazy

so there are those rare occasions when its ok...but not just to hold them like a stuffed animal.

Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #411045 03/04/11 02:39 PM
BambiEyes Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
wow really? Odd... >.< Im glad hes okay now! Anyway, I made a bit of Progress with Storm, he now stays on my hand, just kind of sits there then he'll tilt his head and Jump off. He also perches on my finger, so thats good. smile I think he's starting to trust me again!

Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #411047 03/04/11 05:22 PM
BambiEyes Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Also what does it mean when he well, Squeeks? He'll let out a little what sounds like a squeek.

Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #411050 03/04/11 06:20 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Yay! Really good to hear Storm is making progress already.I bet you're relieved. Don'tcha just love the little head tilt? awwww

Squeak? Welll I guess it just means he's making a little squeak! LOL He is still just a baby and they do make lil squeaks sometimes.
All is well.

He's not like...squeaking as he breathes or anything like that right?
He's just letting out a little peep squeak now and then?

One of Levi's first things he imitated was a dog squeaky toy. LOL I'd swear I heard the toy in the living room, but our dog wasn't even inside. Then I realized it was Levi sounding like the squeaky toys!
Yes, we played with Abbey with her squeakers allll the time in the livingroom in front of Levi. If I remember right he did that even before he started talking..which was about 1mo after I got him.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
levitation photo challenge
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:40 AM
free will
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:33 AM
Separating Two Parakeets
by Min - 10/28/20 05:51 PM
Please help
by Faeed - 10/27/20 03:23 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site