LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: illusive Fantasy] #410723 03/01/11 03:28 PM
BambiEyes Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
But, How can I do that without locking him in his cage? I don't think I should keep him from comming out, he'll never bond to me that way frown

Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #410724 03/01/11 03:31 PM
T
Toony Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
T
Hello Bambi, i just wanted to add that your never supposed to HOLD a budgie unless you trained them to let you hold them and that is hard. No budgie wants to get used to grabbing

I'll miss you guys
Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #410726 03/01/11 03:34 PM
T
Toony Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
T
Dont worry Bambi, if the floor is clean then just put him there and play on the floor. Cover all windows and mirrors. That should stop him from flying a bit. If he DOES fly let him, he's taking his flying lessons! Just make sure mirrows, windows, and anything that he might fly into, are covered

I'll miss you guys
Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #410728 03/01/11 03:35 PM
T
Toony Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
T
A thread that Illusive gave advice was called Making progress...yah!

There is another one called I really need help with my budgies
Start from the 6th page

Last edited by Toony; 03/01/11 03:40 PM.

I'll miss you guys
Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #410733 03/01/11 03:50 PM
BambiEyes Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Oh okay thank you! And I read all of the i need help with ym budgies thread, the kid you guys were responding to, kind of went off topic with what I had. I'm in the middle of the prgress one.. but all birds are different, so I was hoping people would start responding on my thread. So, are you saying I can just let him fly and leave him on the floor? that's really okay? his wings are clipped frown unfortuneately it was a mandatory thing at the petstore, so he cant fly. Does that mean I should put his cage lower? don't birds like being at the highest point of the room? They dont like the floor. I called the pet store, and he said that I should come in tomorrow to learn how to handle my birdie properly, I'm pretty sure he's going to show me how to HOLD him.. but everyone is saying i shouldnt hold him.. Im so confused >.<

Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #410735 03/01/11 03:54 PM
BambiEyes Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
I just finished the making progress.. yah! thread frown everything that is in that thread the petstore owner said not to do, he said to keep the "lower" perch or in this case his jungle gym, at the highest point in the room not the lower part.. I dont know what to do guys! I'm getting alot of mixed advice here >.<

Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #410736 03/01/11 04:07 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
whats your common sense tell you to do....i posted two reasons not to let bird out...its up to you now...good luck

Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: illusive Fantasy] #410737 03/01/11 04:20 PM
BambiEyes Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
because of internal bruising and injury? so, im just supposed to keep him locked up? how does that help the bonding process?

Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #410740 03/01/11 04:33 PM
K
Kimberly1985 Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
K
Bambi Eyes, Illusive was giving me advice because Cheeko was landing hard. Does your bird come out on it's own? That might also be a difference. Cheeko doesn't come out on his own. I have to take him out using my finger as a perch. If you feel that he could injure himself, 2 weeks isn't that long. Trust me, I hate the idea of not letting Cheeko out because I really enjoy it. But if you're worried about bonding, you can still talk to him/her and you can still do finger/perch training. That's the way you got him to trust you so he'll probably enjoy this time. I don't recommend "holding" your bird unless it's a must. Petstores aren't always the best place for advice. More than likely they don't even own a bird and they're going by what they learned on training day. I trust bird owners over an employee of a petstore any day. And as for the cage, as long as it's just 2-4 feet off the ground, you shouldn't have to lower it. Birds do like being at a high point when they feel secure but if he's unsure about flying, (due to no fault of his own or yours...his wings are clipped just like Cheekos) he doesn't need to be too high up when he's out. I think the best rule of thumb about the cage is, if he can return to his cage on his own, the cage's location is fine. And when the couple weeks are up, I will start Cheeko back out in the floor. You could put the playground on the floor and he can hang out there. I'm gonna use my child's wheel barrel, (like the picture) so he isn't sitting directly on the floor but he will be low enough to feel safe in case he wants to fly. Also, remember birds are naturally curious, they're not gonna want to sit on your hand the whole time he's out. He will fly off a lot. He's gonna want to explore his surroundings.

Just noticed...is that Storm's cage in the back of the picture on top of the fridge? If so, you definitely need to invest in a stand or an end table or something. The fridge gives off heat and it may get too warm for him. Plus bird poop near your food source is kind of weird. Also, maybe you should start saving up for him a bigger cage...that's the size Cheeko was in a for a month. I understand everyone doesn't have tons of money to spend on their bird. I'm not saying you should, I'm just suggesting. Cheeko had one similar in size to that one I got Petsmart for 29.99, the one he has now is almost twice the size for around 50. The links are below; Maybe that can give you a better idea of what I mean.

Cheeko's new cage:

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb342/pigtoes1985/SANY1081.jpg

His old one:

http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-8203046r200.jpg

Hope all this helped. How long have you had Storm? Just curious.

Last edited by Kimberly1985; 03/01/11 05:27 PM.

Re: I think I really messed up here.. :( [Re: BambiEyes] #410746 03/01/11 07:55 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
Bambi if that is the cage it looks to me to be a older version cage and not powder coated which means the bird is subject to metal toxins and thats not good at all...i also asked before how old you were please?

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
levitation photo challenge
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:40 AM
free will
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:33 AM
Separating Two Parakeets
by Min - 10/28/20 05:51 PM
Please help
by Faeed - 10/27/20 03:23 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site