Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Making progress...yah! #410447 02/24/11 01:40 AM
K
Kimberly1985 Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
K
Just wanted to give ya'll an update on Cheeko!
I've been doing the "finger as a perch" training (15 minutes each session, usually only 1 a day because lack of time) Sometimes without me pressing on his belly and only saying "Come on", but most of the time I have to gently press my finger to his belly and say "Come on". I noticed he doesn't run from it at all. Sometimes he exhibits behavior like he wants to get off but most of the time he doesn't. He sometimes jumps (he's not flying) to the side of the cage and hangs on until I put my finger up there and he gets right on. Oh and I was wondering if this was normal (I'm almost sure it is) He will fly from one side to the other side of the cage and repeats this several times. This happens when I'm nowhere near him. I'm assuming he's exercising. He loves his new swing too. I also can put both hands in the cage and he doesn't seem frightened at all. He will get on my whole hand also not just my finger. He will go from hand to hand. Also, yesterday he was on my finger, he started "preening" himself like he didn't care that I was holding him. He was standing on my finger with one leg while he was messing with the other too.(not his nails but his actual foot). I'm not sure what he was doing there but he seems to progressing. Just when I had lost all hope. laugh

Last edited by Kimberly1985; 02/24/11 01:41 AM.

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410448 02/24/11 01:42 AM
K
Kimberly1985 Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
K
Just to let ya know, this is an older picture. He now has a wooden perch that varies in size all the way down it's length. I hated the plastic perch.

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410449 02/24/11 02:02 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
he is letting you know ok ma im ready to come out now by going from one side of the cage to the other ...its like they know they can now trust you and telling us...its OUT TIME lol...just open the door and let him come out on his own dont try to extract him and when he does his crash and burns as they all do dont panic and rush over to grab or anything...just let him shake off the cobwebs and then further his own adventures...one thing before that door gets open...be sure its safe...no standing water no burners on stove on no cieling fans on..doors locked so no one accidentally opens one and out he will go...everyone now needs to also train themselves for allll these things an cover mirrors...pull curtains...keep toilet seat down whatever it takes giggle...

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410453 02/24/11 03:24 AM
K
Kimberly1985 Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
K
I sure hope that's what he wants. I'm gonna leave the door open after our training sessions for a little while then. I'm sure this will take a few days until he decides to come out. I'm super excited. I didn't realize that's what it meant. I am absolutely scared to death about anyone else messing with him though. My kids know they are not allowed to touch him. All I allow them to do is talk to him. I told them "He bites." He really doesn't though. LOL Thanks so much Illusive. You've been a big help and I'm sure I'll need more advice in the weeks to come.

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410458 02/24/11 04:40 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
dont scare the children into thinking he bites...because then if he wants to fly to them they will get scared and cry or duck or try to swish him away and that will not be good for bird or kids...just explain to them in a way they understand he is very very small and can get injured very very easily...and im sure they wouldnt want to hurt him anymore than thinking he could hurt them by bitting...you want the experience to be exciting for all including the bird not stressful or scary for anyone...

and your welcome ..i think he may surprise you at how fast he will come out if you just open the doors and then retreat a fair distance from his home....and oh my gosh when he flies he is gonna be a kamakazi newbie pilot...i know of no other way to explain it because he is gonna just be so full of himself and excited...giggle

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 02/24/11 04:41 AM.
Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410483 02/24/11 09:11 PM
K
Kimberly1985 Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
K
Yea, I was thinking to myself how I was gonna explain to the kids when he finally does come out. Thanks.

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410499 02/25/11 12:00 AM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Oh wow Kimberly!! That ISSS progress!!! Whooot! I'm excited for you..AND Cheeko!!!
When you let him out, be sure you have the time to wait for him to go back to his cage in case you can't get him back by hand. In other words if you only have say 1/2 hr or so before you have to go somewhere..it wouldn't be a good time for a first outing. You don't want to rush him.
Ooooh he's gonna LOVE flying!! And like illusive said, he might have a crash n burn or 2 before he finds his wings and learns how to turn and land etc., so try not to panic and run to the rescue. Just sit back and enjoy his first flying experiences. smile

Go Cheeko!!!!

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410510 02/25/11 02:49 AM
K
Kimberly1985 Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
K
So Cheeko decided to finally come out (I did coax him a little). He was absolutely a treat to watch. He did fly and have his crash and burns. I was actually scared for him because his wings are clipped. But he did pretty well. Surprisingly, he got right on my finger when I went to him. He easily got on my shoulder too. And he wouldn't leave my finger from then on out. I guess he likes me or at least feels that I'm a safe place to hang out. He doesn't like my computer though. LOL I can tell he is still a little frightened but I'm sure it will take a few times before he is completely comfortable outside his cage. And also, he got on my little girl's (who is 3) finger and shoulder too, but with my supervision. I am so HAPPY. Finally, Cheeko feels like a pet.

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410511 02/25/11 02:56 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
THATS ROCKING NEWS lol...well done ...but did ya rush to him after he crashed and burned ...come on fess up lol...and its great that with supervision especially you introduced both your little girl and him to each other thats soooo wonderful but keep in mind his wings are clipped and being stepped on is a very real reality...

so your doing a happy dance good for you and yes it will take several months for him to become really comfortable with being with you and when his wings grow out and he can finally fly it will actually be a safer place for him and again...he will become better adjusted...

suggest finding a roosting place for him now to put him on so he can get use to it for when his wings do grow out

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410514 02/25/11 03:18 AM
K
Kimberly1985 Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
K
First time, yes I ran to him. I couldn't help it. There was this thud sound when he landed. I was worried. LOL He kept trying to fly to my blinds but he was a long way from getting to the top. Maybe he thought each little thingie was a perch but couldn't figure out why he couldn't land on it. It was hilarious. But I did feel sorry for him. As of right now, he is sitting on my wrist. He won't leave. Ha ha. He never plays with his toys though. Right now, he has only one in his cage. (cat balls) I'm sure it's because he's quite young. (4 or 5 months) I've been giving him kisses. He bit my lip once and it hurt but I continued to give him kisses and he hasn't bit me again. Thank goodness. I know I'm rambling but I'm trying to make sure I give ya'll all the info I can think of. Also, I am buying Cheeko a bigger cage this weekend. I think he deserves something he can fly in instead of this tiny thing he has now. I only bought it because it seemed okay at the time considering, I didn't have much money. Okay, I'll shut up now. LMBO

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Separating Two Parakeets
by Min - 10/28/20 05:51 PM
Please help
by Faeed - 10/27/20 03:23 PM
NEW YEARS WISHES
by EVA21SA - 10/16/20 08:42 AM
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by EVA21SA - 10/10/20 07:50 AM
nike air max2 light blanche
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:53 AM
nike air max2 light schwarz
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:42 AM
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/28/20 09:13 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site