Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410515 02/25/11 03:19 AM
K
Kimberly1985 Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
K
OMG, he is asleep on my wrist. Just had to add that in there.

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410516 02/25/11 03:59 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
giggle ...yep he is ready to be a socialized birdie...

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410526 02/25/11 03:31 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Awww that is soo sweet-he's sleeping on your wrist. If he is SLEEPING on you then I'd take that as an obvious sign that he TRUSTS you. awwwww
I didn't realize Cheeko was clipped. Is he at least able to glide? And not just drop like a stone? If he can't fly even well enough to glide and break his fall be very careful as to how far off the ground he is when you let him out.
A playstand of sorts for him to hang out on would be great..and maybe even a ladder or branch or something he can use to climb on to get back to his cage on his own when he is out if he can't get to it by flying.
Way to go Cheeko! You brave little cutie smile

ps. Awesome he is getting to know your kids too. And it sounds like you are going about the introductions in just the right way. I think that animals have a certain affinity toward young children. They seem to trust them more easily that they do adults. Maybe it's their innocence?
Great for the kids too to learn how to be gentle and respect little creatures wink

Last edited by kksuns; 02/25/11 03:35 PM.

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410528 02/25/11 03:50 PM
K
Kimberly1985 Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
K
kksuns, I've been thinking about getting him a bird playground, because otherwise, he just hangs on to me. I have a ladder hanging from his door. He can fly that high but I'm not sure he knows how to aim yet. I'm thinking he's never gotten to fly so it's almost like watching a child walk when they just took their first steps. He doesn't drop like a stone though, but I don't think he lands where he intends too. I have been sitting him on his ladder when it's time to go home. That's what I say to him, "Let's go home." LOL

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410530 02/25/11 04:07 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
You're probably right that he has never gotten to fly before..and yes it IS like watching a child take its first steps. It's AMAZING isn't it?? And just like a child...they will fall on their butts a few times before they get steady on their feet. And just like watching that child's first steps..we hold our breath with our birds' first flights too..it's nerve wracking but amazing at the same time!
He'll get better at landing with practice..and better yet when those new flights grow back.
Good job placing him on the ladder when it's time to go home. He'll learn what "Time to go home" means and learn how to get there using the ladder.
Have you given any thought to building a playground?

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410535 02/25/11 05:42 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
go to a store ...if you dont have one of these already and ...buy a meat cutting board the type with like a steel rod that comes up thru the middle of it then slides down to hold the meat in place...much cheaper than buying a playground...then all you have to do is modify it...remove the steel rod and insert a dowel you can buy and from there build onto it or get a tree branch instead of a dowel and place it in the hole where the steel rod was...much much cheaper than buying a playgym...and birds dont care giggle...

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410545 02/25/11 08:38 PM
K
Kimberly1985 Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
K
Illusive, I have no idea what kind of cutting board you're talking about. I searched all over the net trying to figure it out. Sounded like a good idea though. My son's mini wheel barrow seems to be working for now. I posted it as my pic for now. Do ya'll have any other ideas for a homemade playground? Thanks.

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410547 02/25/11 09:02 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
sure want a cheap easy way for a playground ...doesnt have to be pretty just serve the purpose...

get a cardboard box....with a open top and only three sides...it will be re-inforced by sticking dowels / perches thru the sides and make a couple of slits to hook a ladder into it also...voila there is a playground attach a few toys and your golden..

the cutting board i was referring too was frequently an still used board, to cut large roast up or turkey or chicken, there would be groves in the board to trap juices and drain them to opposite end...its a sturdy board and up thru one end of the board is a steel rod with a cross steel rod off that one that adjust in height so meat could be secured and then sliced...

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 02/25/11 09:06 PM.
Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410559 02/26/11 12:48 AM
K
Kimberly1985 Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
K
Well, I might just have to do that, Illusive. I can't wait until he decides to play with his toys. I got Cheeko his new cage. It is big enough that it holds 4 perches, and a swing! The other one was probably the smallest they make and this one is twice the size. I love it. Plus it has the drop down door which will make it easy for him to come out. Not sure how Cheeko feels about it yet. He just sits there. I know he has to like it better, he's just gotta get use to it.

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #410563 02/26/11 03:11 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
LOVE the new avi pic Kimberly. Sooo cute.
Ya know that wheelbarrow would make a very cool planter when your son outgrows it. LOL

Good idea on that cheap, almost instant playground illusive.

Here is a site that has a couple playgym idea http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.org/creative/creativecenter.html
Just to give an idea af what you could do. You wouldn't have to use bamboo like they do..wooden dowels would be perfect, and you can get them at walmart very cheap. You can also get untreated hemp string there in the craft dept. Lots of stuff in craft dept really. Just be sure things like wooden what have yous are not treated/painted.

Someone here not long ago made a very cool playstand using pvc pipe. It was very inexpensive too. I think it was Connor G? if you want to do a search.

I made a playstand out of a wooden clothes drying rack that my guys love. Here's a pic to give idea

The tray is just one of those cafeteria type trays I had on hand..and I also added a piece of an old birdcage. They love hopping from rung to rung, and you can hang all sorts of things from it.
Someone that used to be on here said she couldn't find one that wasn't painted, but mine is unfinished. I guess if painted you could always sand it down if u had the time and patience.

You could even use an unfinished piece of plywood for a base and drill holes for dowels or keet safe branches. I sometimes use Elmers glue to make things. It's safe but if concerned you can sand whatever glue might be exposed after it is dry..say you put elmers in a hole to secure a dowel and some oozes out? Sand around it after it's dry?

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
NEW YEARS WISHES
by EVA21SA - 10/15/20 07:51 PM
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by EVA21SA - 10/10/20 07:50 AM
nike air max2 light blanche
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:53 AM
nike air max2 light schwarz
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:42 AM
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/28/20 09:13 PM
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site