Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #411201 03/07/11 03:50 AM
K
Kimberly1985 Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
K
No animals. We aren't allowed to have anything but a bird or fish. I chose a birdie. LOL His cage door opens a lot like kksuns. It sits flat like that. Is this what you mean by a platform? Or is it something totally different? I have added a perch since my last post to the side of the cage door also. I've been playing a lot with a loose cat ball that I leave in his cage, but if I get close and make it jingle, he looks at me like, "Get that away from me." Cheeko is a cautious little fellow, I reckon like you said. Also, I've read posts in here about how their birds are grumpier in the evening. And this may be part of my problem too.

Figured this may be helpful:

My routine with Cheeko is as follows.

In the morning, I uncover his cage. I turn on the radio that sits near his cage. I tell him "Good morning!" I then get myself and 2 kids ready and we're out the door by 7:15 am. I come back home at 2pm. I come in and say "Hello" to him. I change his food and water, and clean his cage if necessary. At 2:45pm, I go pick up my son. I come back home by 3pm and open the cage for him. I leave it open until around 5 when I start cooking. By 7pm, I open his cage again. I was doing my training sessions and taking him out by finger (few times) around 9pm. I let him do his thing for about 30 minutes these few times. (I have to take him away from his cage, or he will fly right back to it) Which isn't but a few short flights and then he becomes a little birdie statue. After the incident with the grunting, I discontinued that. Now I just talk to him while I'm at the computer. He is a few feet behind me. Since I took him out on my finger, he is reluctant to perch on my finger. I guess he's afraid that I'm gonna try to take him out again. And this is to be expected. Around 10pm I cover his cage and tell him "goodnight". And that's that.

I know for the most part, I am doing right by my little Cheeko. It does make it hard with the children because they are so curious about our new pet. But I'm gonna make myself be PATIENT with him, if it kills me. LOL

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #411202 03/07/11 03:51 AM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
hmm if his cage opens like mine, then he DOES have a platform right outside the door right? If so, no he doesn't need a perch there too like in my pic. But is there a perch right INSIDE the door going across the front of cage so he can jump from inside perch to platform easily..going out and in?
I have a long branch perch, you can see in my pic, going across the front just inside the door. They use that all the time.

Really tho, it is normal for it to be taking so much time for him to come out on his own. He's not slower than other birds. He feels safe in his cage, his HOME. Eventually he'll get up the courage to come out. Again, all in keet time..INDIVIDUAL keet time.
We sure do get a lesson in patience with these guys huh?

Oh, was it Cheeko that started liking broccoli? Or was that someone else? There are so many I get mixed up sometimes. Anyway, if it IS Cheeko, you might try wedging a broccoli floret between cage bars on the platform just outside the door?

Last edited by kksuns; 03/07/11 03:52 AM.

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #411203 03/07/11 04:06 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
ok only problem i see with your schedule is yes you trying to train him too late in the day for sure and he is tired and doesnt want to know that late...and yes birds dont like it when YOU take them out of the cage in the beginning that is way further down the road ...he could also be hesitant becuz of his grunts when landing and realize WOWOW OW THAT HURT...so i think when he gets his flights back most of that will correct itself but do try to get your training done with him much earlier than 9pm

and yessss kk its her bird that took to carrots and brocolli right away sighhhhhh lol

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 03/07/11 04:07 AM.
Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #411204 03/07/11 04:08 AM
K
Kimberly1985 Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
K
Yes it was Cheeko who liked the broccoli! He also likes boiled carrots. I might try that. He has a little perch right across the front of the cage similar to yours. I'm sure he'll come around. I really just wanted to update ya'll on his progress. Thanks again for all your helpful responses. Will update ya'll in a couple days again.

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #411205 03/07/11 04:14 AM
K
Kimberly1985 Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
K
Just wanted to say, "Ya'll are great." I love that ya'll took the time to watch my post, and respond right away. So quickly I was posting my reply that I missed Illusive's reply. I figured as much on the training too late bit. I'll have to figure out how to do it earlier when the kids are outside, or playing or what not. Thanks again.

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #411206 03/07/11 04:27 AM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
We must have been posting at the same time above Kimberly. Seems i'm noted for that. LOL

Anyway, I agree with illusive, if any way possible try to get training in earlier in the day. I know it would probably be hard right when you get back from picking up your son. Is that from school? I know that you need time with the kids first and get them settled and all. But how about around 4:00 or so? Before you start cooking? Just for a little while anyway..and then maybe again after dinner? By 9pm he is probably tired and cranky and needs time to settle down before actual bed.

Thanks for the updates. Keep em comin. I love to hear progress on the new lil guys/gals smile

Yahoooo for carrots AND broccoli!! Way to go!

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #411207 03/07/11 05:00 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
GEEEEESH we all keep this up on posting at the same time we will need a traffic cop...giggle

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #411213 03/07/11 04:40 PM
BambiEyes Offline
Regular
Regular
*red light
*yellow light
*green light

:p

Re: Making progress...yah! [Re: Kimberly1985] #411218 03/07/11 05:13 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
my lights broke so watch out

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
NEW YEARS WISHES
by EVA21SA - 10/15/20 07:51 PM
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by EVA21SA - 10/10/20 07:50 AM
nike air max2 light blanche
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:53 AM
nike air max2 light schwarz
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:42 AM
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/28/20 09:13 PM
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site